Athlon 64 5200+ overheating?

Hazuki Ryu

Regular
I've recently bought an athlon xp 5200+ and I've been using it with the stock heatsink and fan, today I decided to install asus PC probe II and the temperature was reading 70 for my cpu I turned off the computer right away waited a bit then took the heat sink off and replaced the heat paste, when I tested it again the results were the same and I decided to use another program to monitor temperature wich was Everest.

Now it reads for the first core 31c doesn't show anything for the second core because it's a trial version and for the whole processor gives me 60 sometimes core 1 goes up to 38 and "overall processor" I guess goes up to 68 or 70 my doubt is is this a real problem or is it the temperature sensor? The heat sink didn't seem all that hot when I touched it, what could be causing this overhead everythink appears to be ok? Any help would be apreciated thanks.

I'd measure the temp with speedfan, it's pretty good.

With speed fan the temperature is between 45 and 48 for now without any load, it seems more accurate to me but then again I don't know.

Something weird about the other two programs was that the temperature would be at say 58 and jump to 68 I've never seen that before so I would think somethig is really wrong with the sensors or the programs.

Have you checked if it can be related to motherboard BIOS version/Asus Probe version?

I downloaded today a program called Core Temp and it reads 17c for core 0 and 11c for core 1 can this be right is my bios incorrect? somehow this just seems too low to be true but then again I never had a processor like this.

Has your pc ever shut down when running something intensive like dvd ripping
if not dont worry about it

Back