Athlon 64 3000+ and 3200+ 939?

1st I have to laugh about the add on the top

"This should warm things up a bit..." Intel pentium4 :)

2nd: I have been hearing that the 939 socket mobos will not be good for a long time i.e. that changes such as the adoption of ddr2, dual core and so forth will make them obsolete. Do youguys know? I have also heard that the dual core cpus can just be plugged in to an old 939 board with a simple bios update. No I am wondering where the truth lies. The reason of course is that I will want to buy a new rig at some point and was originally planning to wait to some cheap chip for the 939 came out around next january. If everything is going to change though I can wait longer.

Sxotty said:
2nd: I have been hearing that the 939 socket mobos will not be good for a long time i.e. that changes such as the adoption of ddr2, dual core and so forth will make them obsolete. Do youguys know? I have also heard that the dual core cpus can just be plugged in to an old 939 board with a simple bios update. No I am wondering where the truth lies. The reason of course is that I will want to buy a new rig at some point and was originally planning to wait to some cheap chip for the 939 came out around next january. If everything is going to change though I can wait longer.
I'm not sure I understand why everyone is asking if DDR2-enabled A64 have the same socket or not. Why is this interesting? You certainly need a new cpu - current ones will not support DDR2. And you certainly need a new motherboard - you'd need a lot of brute force to put that DDR2 dimm into current ddr slots. So who cares if the socket is the same if you need a new cpu and board anyway???
Dual core is different of course. It's unclear at the moment if dual-core cpus will actually really work in current boards, the answer is a definitive maybe.
Current socket939 boards also miss pci-express (but at least that will definitively not require a new cpu!)

mczak

(P.S. a shame those chips come out now. I really needed an upgrade last week because my pc was failing, and I'd liked to get a socket 939 board / cpu. But unfortunately only high-end cpus available, so I just settled for s754 A64 3000+...)

Sxotty said:

DDR2 doesn't really offer any advantage at current frequencies.
You can always wait and buy something faster. The motherboard is the cheapest piece of hardware in my box.

mczak said:
I'm not sure I understand why everyone is asking if DDR2-enabled A64 have the same socket or not. Why is this interesting? You certainly need a new cpu - current ones will not support DDR2. And you certainly need a new motherboard - you'd need a lot of brute force to put that DDR2 dimm into current ddr slots. So who cares if the socket is the same if you need a new cpu and board anyway???

Because if the socket doesn't change, what keeps a user who misreads a CPUID code from plugging a DDR-only chip into a DDR2 board that uses the exact same s939? Confusing the buyer when he can't get the system to work is bad enough, possibly routing a memory controller line to a DIMM's ground pin may damage something. Who knows what would happen if a ddr controller operating at a voltage of 2.5V will do to a 1.8 V DIMM.

They have to do something to prevent this, or make provisions in their chips to survive such a screwup.

3dilettante said:
Because if the socket doesn't change, what keeps a user who misreads a CPUID code from plugging a DDR-only chip into a DDR2 board that uses the exact same s939? Confusing the buyer when he can't get the system to work is bad enough, possibly routing a memory controller line to a DIMM's ground pin may damage something. Who knows what would happen if a ddr controller operating at a voltage of 2.5V will do to a 1.8 V DIMM.
Ah yes, forgot about that - must be too tired. It might be possible to build a cpu which supports both DDR and DDR2 and still might fit into socket 939 (much the same as the i915 chipset also can support both DDR and DDR2). So you could upgrade your existing motherboard with a new cpu maybe.

mczak said:
Ah yes, forgot about that - must be too tired. It might be possible to build a cpu which supports both DDR and DDR2 and still might fit into socket 939 (much the same as the i915 chipset also can support both DDR and DDR2). So you could upgrade your existing motherboard with a new cpu maybe.

Prototypes of boards supporting both types of ram, and even some with 2 socket types were shown (at E3 I believe). However, those types of solutions just end up making not much sense for most people whether or not the manufacturers will provide them remains to be seen.

Back