ASUS GeForce 4 MX 440 Graphics Card?

Dr.Doom

Newcomer
I'm planning to get a new card for around $140
Is the ASUS V8170DDR GeForce 4 MX 440 Graphics Card a good card? I want asus because I got a asus motherboard and it works well with it.
How many polygons per second can the card do?on 1280 by 960 if anyone knows

Thanks for any information

Dr.Doom :D

For $140? Um, no, that would be a very, very bad idea.

Get a GeForce4 Ti 4200 instead. Many of those can be had for under $140. Just don't get the Gainward model (known stability issues). Check pricewatch for some decent values, and both Inno3D and eVGA should be decent.

And a little note on polys/sec:

Polys/sec is independent of resolution. That is, a card that does 20 million polys/sec will do that same number whether it is running at 640x480 or at 1280x960. It is also pretty meaningless for today's games.

Oh, and one other quick thing. The 64MB Ti 4200's actually perform better than the 128MB versions, due to higher-clocked memory.

Dr.Doom said:
Is Asus V8420 GF4 4200 128M DDR anygood?for 289cdn

Oh, you're in Canada...the price makes a whole lot more sense now. Anyway, Asus' video cards aren't all that great, at least not from what I've heard. There's really no reason to get an Asus video card just because you own an Asus motherboard.

Regardless, I still prefer nVidia's video cards, largely due to stability, compatibility, and better drivers (all of which are related, of course...). However, living in Canada, the Radeons may just cost so much less that the GeForce's aren't that viable of an option.

And the salesman errm chalnoth strikes again!
:D

The Price/features-performance ratio of the Radeon 9000 Pro simply can't be beat.

Back