New PC build doesnt boot up. Need urgent help

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
So I got the parts recently, we build the PC and it just wont boot up. No beep sound nor anything (we also connected it with a Speaker just to make sure).
We tried without the graphics card, we tried with with just one of the RAM modules and exchanged between the two to see if any of the ram is faulty.

The possible culprits we suspect are possible the Motherboard, CPU or the PSU not supplying enough the CPU with enough electricity. We arent sure if there is something else. All leds and fans turn on.

Is there a possibility that the Motherboard requires some BIOS upgrade first to support the Ryzen 7? If thats the case thats gonna be a problem as we dont have an earlier Ryzen to test and update.

Is it also a possibility that the motherboad wont boot with 3200Mhz from the start?

Below are the specs

AMD Ryzen 7 1700
MSI X370 Gaming Plus Motherboard (Supports 3200Mhz OC)
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG-Strix-GTX1080TI-O11G-Gaming
Samsung SSD 960 Evo M.2
WD Blue Desktop
Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 (2 X 8) 3200Mhz
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 80+ Gold

Does anyone have any possible idea what might be at fault?

Last edited:
How long have you left it? Early Ryzen BIOS's could literally take a minute to go through their first time check to post.

Make sure your putting the RAM in the correct slot as some motherboards care.

Make sure all extra power connections to the MB are connected.

The most likely culprit is the RAM as earlier BIOSes were very picky.

Are there any code LEDs that flash an error sequence?

Does the monitor turn on?

If not the check the PSU first. If the PSU is good then check the mainboard.

If it's the CPU, memory or GPU I think the monitor should at least turn on.

How long have you left it? Early Ryzen BIOS's could literally take a minute to go through their first time check to post.
Not long enough I believe

Make sure your putting the RAM in the correct slot as some motherboards care.

Make sure all extra power connections to the MB are connected.

The most likely culprit is the RAM as earlier BIOSes were very picky.

Are there any code LEDs that flash an error sequence?
Ram were connected on the first slots. Need to recheck though.

I had no idea about code LEDs. This is my first time I build a PC with new type of motherboards. I need to check this out. I was expecting beeps and such.
In case its the ram is there a way I can update the Bios without having to boot up?
Does the monitor turn on?

If not the check the PSU first. If the PSU is good then check the mainboard.

If it's the CPU, memory or GPU I think the monitor should at least turn on.
The monitor didnt get any signal.
We also tried another working PSU. Results were the same.

Hopefully I will be able to check again tomorrow

If you insert only one DIMM it goes in a less than obvious slot:
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.32.43 AM.png
Screen%20Shot%202017-08-26%20at%2010.32.43%20AM.png

Oh....I doubt I checked it on that slot when I used only one RAM module

Thanks for the info

There are diagnostic LEDs (see manual page 39) but the manual doesn't explain them much. At least there are lights indicating DIMM detection and GPU detection.

Yep RAM in Ryzen boards need to go in DIMM slots 2+4, or 2 for single.

My Prime X370 has a BIOS recovery function where you can load a BIOS file onto a USB drive with a very specific filename structure and it will flash the BIOS with that file in the case of a corrupted BIOS.

I had that Vengeance RAM when I first bought my Ryzen and whilst it wasn't very compatible for speeds, there was no issue with posting on them. They were provided to all reviewers with their boards so they should be fine (as long as the RAM is working of course).

I am currently installing the programs. I still havent run anything that uses its real potential. But yeah I expect great things from this machine :)

I am currently installing the programs. I still havent run anything that uses its real potential. But yeah I expect great things from this machine :)

Did you build this just for gaming or do you have other uses in mind? 16 threads can do a lot of work!

Back