Astonishing rains in Mumbai: 100cm in 24 hrs

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Yesterday, Mumbai received an incredible ~ 100cm rains in 24 hrs with ~70cm in 12 hrs only. :oops: :oops: I don't think even in hurricans you receive such amount of rains. Have your city ever witnessed such rains? What is the record for max rains in 24 hrs?

Deepak said:
Yesterday, Mumbai received an incredible ~ 100cm rains in 24 hrs with ~70cm in 12 hrs only. :oops: :oops: I don't think even in hurricans you receive such amount of rains. Have your city ever witnessed such rains? What is the record for max rains in 24 hrs?

Apparently this monsoon is just "early". Not necessarily "extreme". That's what caused the problems, it came a lot earlier than expected. Or at least that's what i understood from the news.

Deepak said:

i was in Venice once, i guess they had even bigger storm before we got there, they had to use boats in the streets :oops:

j/k

RV Sharma, director of the meteorological department in Mumbai, formerly known as Bombay, said: "Most places in India don't receive this kind of rainfall in a year."

"This is the highest ever recorded in India's history."

Ok i stand corrected.

Deepak said:
Have your city ever witnessed such rains? What is the record for max rains in 24 hrs?
The most I've ever experienced that was confirmed by an official weather report was 10cm in 4hrs, just to the north of Sydney.

We had 7.5 inches (19cm) in one night last summer here in SE Minnesota. Started raining when I went to bed, and rained continously until I got up the next morning. I though for sure our basement would be flooded, but not a drop.

I thought that was a lot of rain, but I can't even imagine getting over 3 feet of rain in one day.

A little surfing brought this up:

November 26, 1970 in Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe. The heaviest rainfall in history recorded.

3.81 cm (1.5 in) in one minute.

Dunno how long the storm was, but that's ridiculous.

The legendary typhoon Nari rains 78.7 cm in one day in the center area of Taipei City. It rains over 100 cm in a mountain near the city. The most crazy record of that typhoon is 14.4 cm in one hour in a southern city.

That typhoon flooded the metro of Taipei City and disabled it for months.

Thats some downpour :oops:

I searched my own countrys info to see what it was like.
The highest daily rainfall on record is 682mm which occurred at Colliers Creek, Hokitika, where the mean annual rainfall exceeds 6000mm
The mean annual rainfall ranges from as little as 300mm in a small area of Central Otago to over 8000mm in the Southern Alps.

Whats the annual rainful in Mumbai and Taiwan?

The average annual rainfall of Taiwan is about 2,500mm, where a large portion of rains comes from typhoons. In years with few typhoons, drought can happen.

Back