Assassin's Creed - New Interview

PS3 is so hard to program that devs seem to be cutting corners in other areas to compensate.

Or in this case, the HD install feature that is also present for the 360 afaik for 360s with HD, can easily be turned on by default on the PS3 because they all have a HD? I'm sure they're cutting corners here and there, but this doesn't seem like a logical area to do so. It's more that they have to support non-HD configurations for 360, so it's basically an area where the 360 is more work.

Or in this case, the HD install feature that is also present for the 360 afaik for 360s with HD, can easily be turned on by default on the PS3 because they all have a HD? I'm sure they're cutting corners here and there, but this doesn't seem like a logical area to do so. It's more that they have to support non-HD configurations for 360, so it's basically an area where the 360 is more work.

Except that the 360 version does not install 1.2-1.3gb of data...

Surely it uses the cache (which is what I presume HDD install is) :?:
Using a HD for caching is almost automatically supported on 360. I wouldn't call it an install though, since it doesn't "cost" you free HD space. The cache uses a part of the reserved space on the HD, which is also used by other games.

Surely it uses the cache (which is what I presume HDD install is) :?:

I've been surprised at how few big games that sit on top of the pile graphically actually support HDD caching. Two notable titles confirmed not to use caching are Mass Effect and Gears. I'd also be interested to know how the 360 version of VF5 uses the HDD, since the PS3 version has a hefty optional install on first run (7 minutes long!)

While my copy is still to arrive from Hong Kong, I was reading some user impressions. This guy believes that the GPS/map were added to make the game easier, but in the process making many game mechanics superfluous. Apparantly, all the elements that are noted on the map have corresponding clues in-game, if you look for them. This also explains why many reviewers found the game repetitive, as a large part of the game consists of finding clues etc, which - if you use the map - simply means going from A to B, instead of looking around in the city.

Has anyone here played it with all the HUD elements off? It seems much more interesting, and the way the developer originally intended it to be. I know I'll be playing HUDless for sure!

It wouldn't make such a big difference since it's always the same thing. Talk to head quarters, talk to informers, complete the same missions for them, go back to head quarters, go kill the final guy. You'd just be running around spamming eagle vision without GPS but the core gameplay would still be repetitive.

It would make a big difference, because instead of following markers on a map, you would investigate.

And it's not just eagle vision. It's audio (if you hear a town crier) and alot of simply walking around in the general area you were directed, peaking around corners, running along rooftops etc...

Also, it would really force you too work in order to get the best Intel. The best intel is also the hardest to find.

For example, the best missions are pickpocket, as that usually gives you a map, which you can view in your inventory, but this is the hardest to locate because the people are usually hidden away.

The easiest ones to find, and also the least useful, are the interrogation missions usually a town crier, you can find him and beat him up fairly easily, but you're not going to get a whole lot of useful information.

So basically, alot of the work would be investigation, and it would decrease teh repetition since it would be much less likely for you to find all 6 clues, instead you would probably find 2 or 3 per missions and move on.

It really does seem like the game was intended to be played that way. So many of the design decisions are completely pointless when you can simply follow a marker on a map...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/4951053316

Following consumer feedback regarding some issues while playing Assassin’s Creed for PlayStation 3, a corrective update has been developed and will be released worldwide on the PLAYSTATION® Network over the next few days. You can proceed to installation simply by launching your Assassin’s Creed game. Please note that release times of this update may vary depending on your location. Thank you again for your patience.

Seems it doesn't fix anything for some, while others are claiming it's a miraculous fix.

Guess we await someone who can be trusted on here to report what it actually does ;)

Random freezes. Hit me once and then I read the forum posts and decided to save the experience until they fix it :)

I'm curious to see what this fixes. I've had only two random freezes. The first one wasn't a big deal, but the second one happened right after I began playing a few nights ago, and it upset me greatly for some reason. Rather than rebooting the game, I just turned it off and watched a movie. I think it took me out of the game too much, too fast (I was literally only about a minute into the game). That, and the fact that restarting the game takes about three full minutes, which is a royal PITA to get back to where you were before the thing crashed.

I'll pop the game in tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. Of course, seeing as how I went over a week of almost constant playing before it froze for the first time, any "luck" I have while playing without freezing could just be coincidence. I dunno.

It would make a big difference, because instead of following markers on a map, you would investigate.

And it's not just eagle vision. It's audio (if you hear a town crier) and alot of simply walking around in the general area you were directed, peaking around corners, running along rooftops etc...

Also, it would really force you too work in order to get the best Intel. The best intel is also the hardest to find.

For example, the best missions are pickpocket, as that usually gives you a map, which you can view in your inventory, but this is the hardest to locate because the people are usually hidden away.

The easiest ones to find, and also the least useful, are the interrogation missions usually a town crier, you can find him and beat him up fairly easily, but you're not going to get a whole lot of useful information.

So basically, alot of the work would be investigation, and it would decrease teh repetition since it would be much less likely for you to find all 6 clues, instead you would probably find 2 or 3 per missions and move on.

It really does seem like the game was intended to be played that way. So many of the design decisions are completely pointless when you can simply follow a marker on a map...

I actually did try to play one of the assassination missions without the HUDs. Didn't make much of a difference for me in spicing things up. I got a little annoyed of running around, using eagle vision, then running around some more to use eagle vision somewhere else. And as was mentioned it still does not change the basic repetitive gameplay elements the game is made up of.

Possible freezing work around? I've not had a freeze in about 1 week now. The only difference is that since my PS3 sits on my desk, the PS3 is only about 2 feet away. So I have been using the controller cable. Seems strange that the whole freezing issue might be caused by the wireless bluetooth but ever since I started using the cable I've not had any lockups.

Anyone feel like giving this a shot to see if I am just getting lucky or if it seems to actually help?

Played through to the end and haven't had one problem. Just a few sections where the framerate dropped a little. Oh and I got stuck in a wall.

I got a question btw:

Once you beat the game and free to use the animus whenever you feel like it, when I access the animus and see the current status of the game, if I decide to go to a specific memory block(ex. mem block #4), do I have to re-do the whole assassination again or do I just go back to that specific timeframe with the guy already dead, and all thats left is to collect the hidden items scattered throughout the city?

Hopefully that wont be too confusing to read :oops:

From Gamesradar.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox36...articleId=20071204152852504030&sectionId=1003
Are you kept up at night wondering whether Assassin’s Creed looks better on 360 or PS3? If so, you’re about to get a good night’s sleep. We’ve captured footage from the early stages of the game, running in 720p on both consoles. While mild tearing is evident in both versions, the PS3 appears to have the edge with richer colors and deeper blacks. The 360 footage looks a bit washed out by comparison, though it’s nearly impossible to tell the difference without viewing the clips side-by-side. Either platform will deliver an exemplary Templar-slashing experience.
80o7ti0.jpg

Back