Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag (PS3, X360, PS4, XBOne)

We don't have no pirate talk in Hungarian, so I don't get this at all ;)

Not to mention that pirate Assassins are so last year...

LOL I could see how it would be lost in translation.

This game series has never really been on my radar before, but the Caribbean pirate theme might finally get my attention. Just watched this technical video & thought some here might find it interesting. Looks beautiful.

Tommy McClain

Played a bit of AC3 on the PC and I must really say I hate the glowing attacker mechanic. What is the real difference between that and an QTE?

New trailer from Eurogamer
I wonder if this is ps4 footage, because gfx does not look so good , as been shown in this next gen features trailer At least foliage low res and not so dynamic

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to be the PS4 version given the button prompts? The foliage is dynamic when the player walks through it. Anyway the environments look really good..not much recognizable repetitive patterns can be seen.

Played a bit of AC3 on the PC and I must really say I hate the glowing attacker mechanic. What is the real difference between that and an QTE?

Well, it's not really the same, but I agree that it's still uncomfortably close. I don't like this fighting mechanic at all. Wish they would make it a lot more like Soul Calibur.

I'm guessing this was a cross generation game and so the source art wasn't the best it could be for nextgen consoles....that's unfortunate because all of the motion capture work is held back by the graphics.

There are minor differences. Nothing huge.

Until you put it on a 50" and everything is magnified, that DoF was super blurry on the PS3. Shadows are better, textures and water are better. I think when you get to the foliage on the island it will be even more extreme.

I'm actually pretty excited for this thing. According to the Eurogamer review, most of the stuff that was wrong with AC3 has apparently been addressed. Main character seems interesting again and the excessive amount of pointless bloat has been reigned in. Finally an AC game with some focus again.

The comparison doesn't show the foliage stuff, does it?

I came across a demo on PS4 at Up-at-Noon, which is actually a nice demo. Shows some interesting things, like that they have stolen a bunch of stuff from Far Cry 3. It looks awesome. I think I will go for this - the mere fact you can find a treasure map, and then go and find the treasure, my son will love that.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/assassins-creed-iv-15-minutes-of-new-footage-up-at-noon

Anyone have any hands on experience with this game? I'm wondering if there is anything new here for someone that has already played two games in the series. I skipped part 3 because I got kinda bored of the series, but was wondering if it's worth taking a peek again.

Anyone have any hands on experience with this game? I'm wondering if there is anything new here for someone that has already played two games in the series. I skipped part 3 because I got kinda bored of the series, but was wondering if it's worth taking a peek again.

There's a playthrough going on on Youtube, 10 of them posted so far, of the PS3 version. Easy to find. And if you watch that, I get the impression this is definitely something else - best thing about AC3 was easily the sea parts, and this is all about that, though there's still a lot to do on land as well. Seems to be piling with cool things to do, and hardly any bugs apparently. The fighting that I've seen in the bit of walkthrough I watched seemed further improved as well, much faster and interactive.

This looks like a true next-gen version of Pirates, with a massive open world and a tonne of things to explore. (I've only played Brotherhood myself so far, couldn't really get into any of the other games, but this looks neat). Reviews are very positive as well.

Thanks Arwin. That looked cool. That might be something I will pick up as well. Anybody know how each of the platforms differ?

Tommy McClain

Back