ARS Technica: Introducing the Cell

Jaws said:
Okay... all your explanations sound plausible...but something smells fishy! :D
Jaws, we already discussed a lot of times why SPE are not good as pixel shader engine ;)

Panajev2001a said:
Jaws said:

I told you, leave the windows open when you cook Tuna Fish.

My igloo doesn't have windows!

I will now dream of my HW raytracing GPU! 8)

nAo said:
Jaws said:
Jaws, we already discussed a lot of times why SPE are not good as pixel shader engine ;)

That's why I was surprised by that comment... ;)

I gonna make a post there and get it clarified...

Jaws said:
Okay...before I post there, do you guys want to ask him any specific questions?

Yes,

can you please treat Jaws well ? He means good.

j/k :D.

Did he note down the latency for reciprocal instructions (to do divides on the SPU) ?

Can he correct his first article on CELL as it gives the idea that SPU's are mostly FP processors with limited integer processing capabilities (like EE's VU's) ? SPU's ISA seems to have FP and Integer instructions (like an Integer and a Floating-Point MADD instruction) for both vectors and scalars (SPU's can do scalar and vector/SIMD processing from the presentations and the bits and pieces of SPU ISA SiBoy has posted here).

What about the presentation on the Double-Precision FP unit connected with CELL by IBM at ISSCC 2005 ?

I'm not asking him to correct shit! :D ...Did you see his reply to someone asking him to correct that Blanchford article regarding cache! :oops: :D

But I'll ask the other two questions...

Jaws said:
I'm not asking him to correct shit! :D ...Did you see his reply to someone asking him to correct that Blanchford article regarding cache! :oops: :D

But I'll ask the other two questions...

Well, at least ask if it is true that the SPU's can do integer and Floating-Point math for both vector and scalar values ;).

See ? We change the question :D.

It makes no sense what he said. Why would CELL waste all it's processing power to do something a GPU would and should do better?

SPEs make great vertex processors. It almost seems like that was their entire purpose.

But pixel processors? Nah.

Well, Hannibal hasn't replied to my above questions yet...I guess he might be a tad busy! ...Well, I'll post it if he does...

However, he's posted another article,

CELL's DRM...

Back