Armored Core 4 for PS3/Xbox 360

Bobbler said:
I think AC4 and Project Force are two different games still...

yeah your right. The last trailor they were calling it project force. I dont think they would change it to armored core.

seismologist said:
I really hope this isn't also for 360. I was kind of hoping it would be made from the ground up on PS3. :(

Fromsoftware are pretty competent about their games, although it does raise a certain concern given that all their previous games are exclusive to one console or another. i.e. untested for multiplatform development.... I could be wrong of course ;)

seismologist said:
I really hope this isn't also for 360. I was kind of hoping it would be made from the ground up on PS3. :(

Why?

The GPUs are similar in featureset and close in performance (Xenos may even be better).

In terms of FLOPs, Xbox 360 is theoretically only 50% as powerful, but makes up for that in other areas. Worse case they would have to cut down particles, physics, etc... in half. Either sampling or number... so instead of 10,000 physics bodies, say only 5,000 (of course other bottlenecks and such could bring those numbers closer... or further...)

Anyhow cross platforming does mean less exploitation, but graphically the 360 is not far behind (if at all). And if they even plan to use the SPEs much it will need a rewrite and/or codevelopment anyhow.

I guess down the road I see a lot of devs co-developing engines... a core set of features on the PPE elements, and then FP type tasks that are either SPE friendly or PPE friendly, and then tweaking from there.

I guess I don't see it as a big deal... from a market perspective going cross platform is good $ wise--so if you want them to float then this is not bad ;) And from a market position, with the 360 out earlier and with more games it would seem it makes sense.

Oh well, I guess next we will have an Xbox fan upset it is not an Xbox exclusive because they were hoping it would exploit the 360 ;)

From seems to have made the XBox their base console to do their games, and I think this is just that showing through. Any game the PS3 gets will either 1st be on XBox or a dual release, I don't think we'll ever see anything from Xbox wander over to the PS3. The amored core thing is probably trandition more than anything else.

By the way, aren't they on like amored core 9 or something? Why is it 4?

I would expect that multiplatform games will be worse off than this gen (see MGS2 port on Xbox)
unless the developer is using some kind of middleware.

And I was just about to say that Armored Core looks like PS3 will be the base development platform if it is indeed Project Force, Everything up until now has been associated with PS3.

Not to nullify your point or anything, but the MGS2 port was bad because it was a terrible port, least that's what I've heard. Very little effort was put into it. The example aside, I think you have a point.

seismologist said:

everyone wants custom games from their favorite system... the biases on this site are almost unbearable.:rolleyes:

blakjedi said:
everyone wants custom games from their favorite system... the biases on this site are almost unbearable.:rolleyes:

Of course - what did you expect? Or do you want 2 cores of Xenon to go completely wasted because the PS3 wanted a port and the developers can't figure out how to use the SPEs (thus limiting the CPU to roughly onely the PPE).

It's only natural that you want your choice of hardware to be used to its full potential. We've seen the difference between multi-platform and dedicated efforts on PS2 enough already...

acert93 said:
In terms of FLOPs, Xbox 360 is theoretically only 50% as powerful, but makes up for that in other areas. Worse case they would have to cut down particles, physics, etc... in half. Either sampling or number... so instead of 10,000 physics bodies, say only 5,000 (of course other bottlenecks and such could bring those numbers closer... or further...

You're not going to tell me that you really think it's that simple? This isn't as simple as x does task y half as fast as z. There are hundreds if not thousands of factors to consider - the most obvious being architectural differences and the way the units on each hardware handles work-loads different.

seismologist said:
yeah your right. The last trailor they were calling it project force. I dont think they would change it to armored core.

Anything called "Project XXX" is temporary as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure its the same game.

Back