ARM Mali-400 MP

Discussion in 'Mobile Graphics Architectures and IP' started by Rob Evans, Jun 2, 2008.

1. rpg.314

Veteran

If you have done the spatial binning for all the triangles, is it really much harder to make a deferred renderer over a early-Z renderer.

2. darkblu

Veteran

Surely JohnH would give you a much better answer, but hypothetically, it should not be that much more difficult - you need an extra pixel ownership test/enumeration step during the shading stage. That also introduces certain interesting moments with partial derivatives & co, in situations where you don't have enough neighbour pixels of the same draw call, to trivially compute deltas with. But that's not unlike similar situations that arise from the use of fragment discard ops, or mere z-early-out, in any other rasterizer architecture.

#142 darkblu, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  3. JohnH

Regular

Technically I'd agree, however within the industry TBDR i.e tile based deferred rendering has always referred to PowerVRs particularly brand of tile based rendering. Trying to call Mali a hybrid IMR/TBR is just marketing smoke and mirrors to try and claim that they have something clever, when in fact it's just a bog standard tile based renderer that is missing one of the useful optimisations that TBDR provides.
    I'm pretty certain that ARM's binning process is very similar to PowerVR's, with the exception that they do bounding box based tiling instead of perfect tiling.

To the best of my knowledge the Z430's "tiling" processes the incoming geometry twice, once to tile it and once to rasterise it. This works fine within a closed system (the XBox360) that has a very large tiles but rapidly falls to pieces with smaller tile sizes and in an open API where applications can and do modify their VBO's mid scene.
    The problem is that you need to avoid nlogn time (or worse) within the binning process, although possible this is actually non trivial in HW and can also result issues with memory access patterns. Alternatively you could apply an up front tile resolution Z test but this doesn't work well as the absence of per pixel Z values makes it difficult to reject based on the Z extents of anything other than objects that fully cover the tile.

John.