Are we due for another Paradigm shift in 2005/2006?

Silpheed ...<snip> ...was definitely a rail game with a 3D backdrop.
that's a common misconception. silpheed featured real-time 3D (flat poly's) ships but the background was prerendered video. very well put together, i might add, but the backgrounds were not realtime at all.
c:

Looking ahead, I don't see where the next shift comes from, but they seem to occur in 10 year timeframes. Any thoughts as to what we'll see that will truly change the face of gaming in this next generation?

I think what most developers betting on is online play will become mainstream in a big way.

Though most of us here would consider that norm and hardly ground breaking.

What about surround gaming ?

Anyway there better be something big soon, cause I am getting tired of gaming. I might change it to fishing on a yatch or something like that for my spare time :LOL:

Natoma said:
That year had Donkey Kong Country, Paper Mario, and Yoshi's Island on the 16bit consoles, Aliens Vs Predator on the Jaguar along with "infinite" worlds in the form of CyberMorph (a sorely underrated game) and graphically superior mech games such as Iron Soldier.

As I said before, Paper Mario is an N64 game, Natoma. No SNES version.

I dont think there has been a major paradigm shift - it only seems so because you limit yourself to a false set of data ( ie VCS->NES>SNES>PS etc )

Apple II starts the gaming trend - with hires colour graphics
VCS was a big shift away from 'single game' entertainment toys.
After VCS the home computers started to pick up... ( Atari400 / C64 )
NES launched to renew collapsed console market.
Atari ST and Amiga show new graphics
PC graphics adapters become usable ( VGA )
SNES / Megadrive - faster versions of old sw..

DKC - Introduced the idea of 'rendered' sprites - A new look for people used to the hand drawn pixel art.

3DO introduced real 3D to the consoles
3DFx introduced 'game' accel. 3D to PC ( it wasnt the first, but it kickstarted PC games )

Everything else since then is just gradual improvements..

( All of this is purely my own opinion of course :) )

I'm not pleased with these "paradigm shifts." The art of the 2-D scroller has been lost, and the charm of sprites largely gone. I'm glad a few games take advantage of next-gen hardware to render really nice high res sprites, like Guilty Gear X. Zelda Windwalker is pretty nice for its cartoon like style but that game would have been better with more sprite based scenes, 3-D engines are not all one needs!

Natoma said:
I dunno if I'd consider Wipeout a limited 3D game considering all the loops, crests, valleys, and ability to turn around and go back the other way completely. hehe.

Toshinden? Wasn't it was the first game where you could change your axis of movement at will, as opposed to the VF games where your environment was 3D but your characters fought basically on a 2D plane?

You could turn around and go back the other way in Super Mario Kart, too. And you could jump in both that and F-Zero.

And Toshinden's sidestep is a fixed range maneuver, so it isn't much to talk about really. Definitely not much of a 'change axis at will'.

IST said:
Natoma said:
That year had Donkey Kong Country, Paper Mario, and Yoshi's Island on the 16bit consoles, Aliens Vs Predator on the Jaguar along with "infinite" worlds in the form of CyberMorph (a sorely underrated game) and graphically superior mech games such as Iron Soldier.

As I said before, Paper Mario is an N64 game, Natoma. No SNES version.

I think he means mario rpg or super mario rpg. That was on the super ness and i have it some where in storage

There has only been one paradigm shift in my experience and that was from 2D sprite based games to 3D polygons.

The first games console I owned was the Atari VCS. I saw a continues line of evolution from the VCS to Commodore C64 to the Commodore Amiga. I then dropped out of the gaming scene for 8 years, not touching any games or hardware. It was not until the PSOne arrive that I was suitably impressed enough to take up the hobby again. The game that did it for me was Tomb Raider. I had seen nothing like it before. The 8 year hiatus in gameplaying made it's impact even greater.

I don't see the next generation of consoles offering anything more than a refining of the 3D game world. Better AI, physics and interactive environments. Grand Theft Auto running at 60 fps with pleasing art direction. Not a revolution, no paradigm shift.

london-boy said:
jvd said:
p.s this is my turf so behave . You wont last long if you behave like you do in the general forum. :devilish:

I'm still around, so i guess u're not that tough huh... :LOL: ;) j/k

I'm an italian from new jersey. If i want you gone i can make you gone. I just have to talk to sonic and see if you've broken any rules lately and then I will just sick him on you :) YOu know what its like getting mauled by a hedgehog ? I don't think u want to know

jvd said:
london-boy said:
jvd said:
p.s this is my turf so behave . You wont last long if you behave like you do in the general forum. :devilish:

I'm still around, so i guess u're not that tough huh... :LOL: ;) j/k

I'm an italian from new jersey. If i want you gone i can make you gone. I just have to talk to sonic and see if you've broken any rules lately and then I will just sick him on you :) YOu know what its like getting mauled by a hedgehog ? I don't think u want to know

I take it happened to you...

And i'm italian too as u know, but i know how the system works so u'll never catch me red-handed. Kinda like the Mafia huh... ;)

Sonic fancies me so u won't get anything from him :LOL: (Sonic, I'M JUST KIDDIN!) *ducks*

Satoru Iwata (President of Nintendo): Well I really don't believe that there will be a bright future waiting for the so-called next generation consoles that Sony and Microsoft are advocating right now. As you may know I was developing games until quite recently myself, I know how it is, and if any of these developers come to me and say, look, CPU or processing power is ten times as much as today, graphic capability is twenty times, then I will say, that means more workload and slight difference with the current system in terms of letting people understand how improved the graphics shall be. So just as we have established with handheld gaming with the DS, just for example, if we cannot change the user interface of the current home console system, and let consumers understand we are changing how the games are being played, then I am sorry, but it must be difficult for anyone to persuade people to purchase so-called next generation consoles.
How? :?

Well it's been 1 1/2 years since I posted this thread. It seems that the guesses regarding the next paradigm shift centering on interface have proven correct, particularly with the release of the Nintendo Revolution Controller.

Any further ideas, now that we're 1 1/2 years out from this initial query?

Natoma said:
Well it's been 1 1/2 years since I posted this thread. It seems that the guesses regarding the next paradigm shift centering on interface have proven correct, particularly with the release of the Nintendo Revolution Controller.

Any further ideas, now that we're 1 1/2 years out from this initial query?

I think Eyetoy has the potential to cause this shift also. Nintendo has the new controller and the 360 will build upon its Online capabilities even more. All three systems have a unique item that they, and them alone, have that the other competitors alone don't. I think thats something thats not touted as much as it should. All three systems (not just tech wise) has something unique which can cause this type of shift.

As far as interfaces though? Most definatley Sony with EyeToy2 and Nintendo with its new controller. I'm not sure about the 360 though. I haven't heard anything about a new interface, on the controller.

BlueTsunami said:
As far as interfaces though? Most definatley Sony with EyeToy2 and Nintendo with its new controller. I'm not sure about the 360 though. I haven't heard anything about a new interface, on the controller.
Just as a head's up, though XB360 may well continue with the strongest online offering, we don't yet actually have details on the other two. It may happen that Sony and Nintendo copy great chunks of MS's strategy and produce comparable online experiences. I always thought XB360's 'special power' would be the HDD, but apparently not.

On topic reply:
What is next? in this gen (x2, ps3) I think we will see instances were indivial screen-shots, in-game sequences and parts were if you just saw that, some would think it was real-life footage, if they didnt study it or knew before hand what they were looking at... in next gen (ps4, x3) we will reach those instances more often.

But I dont believe change comes incrementally, in small doses.

How consoles has evolved.
All changes has been small and incremental IMO. Even with NES SMB3 wasnt possible from the first day, but only when the propper mappers, (?) chips (?), cartridges were developed.

8-bit systems, 16-bit systems, CD-Roms, DVD, 32-bit, 3d, Internet

8-bit:
portability (Gameboy), multi player on different machines (GB again), save games (NES, Zelda 1), light gun tech (NES AFAIK)

16-bit:
consoles catch up to arcades (SNES SF2, Neo Geo), much larger games that could hold samples (speech) that sounded good

CD-Rom:
games that could hold videos, perfect speech, non-midi like music, CD-Quality music, space for textures :)

DVD:
big worlds (GTA), with better textures

32-bit:
games that had real life photos that didnt look dithered or artificial (for titel screens), mo-cap

3d:
better filtering, larger textures, FSAA, good looking water, good looking forests, grass, hair, facial emotions (HL2), good physics (HL2)

Internet:
online gaming, communities, downloadable content

Back