Architecture and Products - read-only: temporary or permanent?

The 'haves' and the 'have nots' is a common vernacular, that could mean anything in relation to GPUs like have nVidia/AMD/Common Sense/$2k to drop on a CPU or not. I see it as just an alternative of 'them' and 'us'.
That's the closest I've gotten to an interpretation too, "us" and "them". :(

There's a troll inside each of us, ready to make bad-faith arguments for various reasons. Repeatedly engaging and calling out bad-faith posts (which itself is subjective) is not productive and only helps amplify the noise, especially if it's an ad-hominem callout. If someone was making a genuinely bad-faith argument it's not like calling them out is going to make them retract it. Western culture has taught us to dig our feet in when attacked, whether we were right or not. So all that's going to happen is a rapidly escalating back-and-forth between 2-3 posters while the rest of the audience looks on in despair.

Of course the first-order self-control is to avoid making a post in bad faith to begin with. But it's going to happen, and we can collectively limit the damage. Take the high road. Respond once with a good-faith rebuttal to the *content* of the post, and then move on. The noise will die away.
I agree 100%. But some people in this forum are incapable of taking the "high road" and instead continually light the fire under the pot.

But some people in this forum are incapable of taking the "high road" and instead continually light the fire under the pot.
It's true. But it doesn't matter. Let others light fires. The answer isn't to try to douse the fire, it's to keep silent. No grave miscarriage of justice is going to happen by staying silent. Respond once with an objective counter-argument but if the fire persists just go about your life. There are a lot of worthy causes to fight for, and someone being wrong on the internet ranks very very low on that ladder. Additionally, your attempts to douse the fire may be construed by some as lighting a fire. That's what causes the endless circle of chaos.

No but I will make a comment about the pot calling the kettle black. ROFL!
This isn't helpful. Someone may consider your post to be a case of the frying pan calling the pot black. Everyone considers themselves to be the ultimate arbiter of truth and others to be charred utensils. We are each the center of our own universe. Once again, make an objective argument about the specific issue at hand, and then withdraw.

I apologize for the preachiness. But I'm mostly talking to myself with these posts. The urge to correct people on the internet (and call out perceived hypocrisy) is surprisingly primal, and I suffer from it as much as anyone else does. And this very post may be a more meta example of that. :unsure:

Back