April 2007 DirectX SDK Now Available

April 2007 DirectX SDK Now Available
The April 2007 DirectX SDK download contains the tools needed to build cutting-edge, media-rich, interactive applications. It includes run-times, headers and libraries, samples, documentation, utilities, and support for C++ and Managed Code development. This SDK includes new improvements to the XACT user interface, PIX diagnostic improvements, and an updated Shader Compiler. NOTE: Symbols are now available on the Microsoft Symbol Server.
DirectX SDK - April 2007
DirectX End-User Runtimes Web Installer
DirectX End User Runtimes (April 2007) Full Download
DirectX EULA

The new HLSL compiler breaks my shader :( I have to disable optimization to get it to produce correct code. Is it just me, or is the fx_4_0 compiler a lot more buggy than any previous generations, even for equivalently simple code?

Debug symbols?

Does anyone knwo where to get hold of the debug DX runtime symbols (.pdbs)? It says on the SDK page symbols are available on the Microsoft Symbol Server but that only appears to be the release ones...

Any help much appreciated!

Andy, the new compiler broke my shaders too. I got some strange errors ("compiler internal error" or something like that).

I have found out that I could have my shaders compiled by adding some "[unroll]" instruction before some of my shaders loops.

Have a try, the generated code is a little bit more optimized than with the previous compiler version...

Ah okay I'll try that.

Actually as it turns out, *one* of the problems that I was having was actually an NVIDIA driver bug (it's fixed in the latest driver), although it would disappear with optimization off :)

Back