Apple on PS3 page?

Bad_Boy

god of war.
Veteran
On the official ps3 website there is a odd occurance of an Apple (looks exactly like a mac apple logo) between the shifts of the flash pages.

Go to...
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/default.html
click on specs or gallery and hit the back button, if you notice there is a apple logo right above where the controller is when the flash shifts pages. it happens very fast but if you cant see it... here is a image.

ps30my.jpg

Im not really into conspiracy theories but it IS pretty interesting on why that apple might be there. Who knows maybe its just a glitch from who ever made the flash design. props to DOGG on ps3forums finding this, and Dexvex for bringing it to our attention.

Yeah, what I thought. But it's a pretty big mistake for someone to make. But i suppose if someone really wanted us to see it they would of made it more obvious. I didnt even notice it till I saw the screen shot.

The author has a screenshot of the video which he used as a marker when aligning the video in the center of the PS3. Unfortunately he left it at a 14% opacity so it's visible for 3 frames when the PS3 image is still fading in.

Seems like a iPod silhouette, nano? Almost like who ever made the flash design made the same effect for an apple design, or worse two different people and one was stolen.

Bad_Boy said:
Seems like a iPod silhouette, nano? Almost like who ever made the flash design made the same effect for an apple design, or worse two different people and one was stolen.

I'm leaning towards the theory that it was stolen.

If you look at the shot Mmmkay posted it's pretty obvious that the animated smoke belongs with the Apple product, and it appears that the static PS3 was simply laid on top of the Apple image.

Apple

Bad_Boy said:

Or maybe this is one trick for Sony for Apple to give OS for PS3 for PS3 to have real computer image. Or maybe it is mistake by flash maker. :) But $599 Apple media center computer with 8 core 3.2 Ghz cpu, super graphics, Blu-Ray, etc is great deal for Sony, Apple and buyer. We cannot know what is true and probably (sad) it is only simple mistake but I have great enjoyment from this idea.

The simplest explanation is usually the right one. It seems fairly obvious to me that it's a reused asset. Eurogamer floats the theory that Sony contracted the services of an agency that previously did Apple work, and they reused assets from that work without checking it all thoroughly.

I really hope its viral marketting, and not a mistake.

That would be an excellent partnership. Being able to download songs and videos from itunes to your PS3 and PSP would be excellent.

Lets wait for an official answer.

*fingers crossed*

ihamoitc2005 said:
Or maybe this is one trick for Sony for Apple to give OS for PS3 for PS3 to have real computer image.
I wouldnt mind this much, but the thing is. If Sony and Apple really had some business together I think we would have either heard it by now, or that the apple logo would have been made more obvious than it was. Like I said, I didnt even know it was there till I looked a the still frame screen shot.

After all this though, I think the interesting thing to me is, the webpage going from html to flash. Maybe It's a sign of something coming?
Or I could be wrong and it was just something they planned on doing and just happened to put it up recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angelcurio said:
That would be an excellent partnership. Being able to download songs and videos from itunes to your PS3 and PSP would be excellent.
Unfortunately for you, that'll never happen. Sony owns their own record label, plus they too manufacture portable music players (and in fact invented the market pretty much single-handedly), so they're a direct competitor and adversary to apple...

I'm surprised it stayed up as long as it did. But then again, I was surprised to see they let that be posted in the first place. Don't they check these things out first?

ihamoitc2005 said:
Or maybe this is one trick for Sony for Apple to give OS for PS3 for PS3 to have real computer image. Or maybe it is mistake by flash maker. :) But $599 Apple media center computer with 8 core 3.2 Ghz cpu, super graphics, Blu-Ray, etc is great deal for Sony, Apple and buyer. We cannot know what is true and probably (sad) it is only simple mistake but I have great enjoyment from this idea.

No on the Apple OS.

Simple reason: Apple was not necessarily thrilled with the direction IBM was going and switched to Intel. If they had absolutely any interest in CELL -- such as porting an OS to the PS3 -- they could have leveraged this R&D and gone with a CELL based Mac etc.

Powderkeg said:
I'm surprised it stayed up as long as it did. But then again, I was surprised to see they let that be posted in the first place. Don't they check these things out first?

Depending on your monitor, the logo may not have shown. I can't see it on my monitor as is, I have to turn up the brightness to see it. So it's quite plausible it slipped by undetected. It's one great example of why, as a graphics artist, you can't necessarily trust what your monitor is showing you.

Didn't Steve turn down Cell being used in their future Apple products? Why would they then port their OS or iTunes to the PS3?

Besides they are basically competing for the same customers with digital music players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they'll make more sales of their OS to Apples and PS3's then they will selling to just Apples. They didn't choose Cell for future Apples as the don't feel it's suitable, but if other people are fool enough to run Cells and want to buy an Apple OS at 50 bucks a pop to run on it, why deny them the pleasure (and your finance department the bigger figures to run through their calculations)?

Edit : And you r edit adds reason to port Tiger OS. Include iTunes and have that as the standard. Obviously though that's reason for Sony not to go that way, unless they strike a deal with Apple to share the industry.

Apple's business model is a hardware one too, though. You might aswell ask why they didn't sell their OS for general PCs. Yes, PS3 is a closed platform (so supporting every configuration of computer under the sun is one issue it doesn't bear that PCs do from Apple's POV), but Apple still wants to sell its own hardware.

Back