Apple M1 SoC

Just thought I'd add to my post above that was moved here from the other thread (to make it a bit more relevant to the thread topic) that thank god for AMD putting pressure on Intel, and now Apple, putting pressure on both AMD and Intel.

It simply leads to better products for us all.

Just thought I'd add to my post above that was moved here from the other thread (to make it a bit more relevant to the thread topic) that thank god for AMD putting pressure on Intel, and now Apple, putting pressure on both AMD and Intel.

It simply leads to better products for us all.

Thanks AMD.

Well when you limit a 12900k to 75 watts it loses over half of its performance. When have CPUs ever seen 100+% perf/watt increases in a single node jump?
Based on the below benchmarks, the E-cores in desktop Alder Lake gain power efficiency until you go well below 1W per core, while the P-cores scale to around 2W.

So even with only 75W of power, you are not hitting the sweet spot with 16 cores. In fact going from 5W per core to 2W/1W on the P-cores/E-cores respectively seems to yield respective improvements of ~50%/~100% in perf/watt. And these are desktop, not mobile benchmarks. So do I think that with a process shrink and enough E-cores on a mobile CPU you can double efficiency for a given performance level? Yes, I don't see why not. In fact as I said, I suspect a 32 E-core chip on Intel 4 could compete quite nicely with the M1 Ultra.

Based on the below benchmarks, the E-cores in desktop Alder Lake gain power efficiency until you go well below 1W per core, while the P-cores scale to around 2W.

So even with only 75W of power, you are not hitting the sweet spot with 16 cores. In fact going from 5W per core to 2W/1W on the P-cores/E-cores respectively seems to yield respective improvements of ~50%/~100% in perf/watt. And these are desktop, not mobile benchmarks. So do I think that with a process shrink and enough E-cores on a mobile CPU you can double efficiency for a given performance level? Yes, I don't see why not. In fact as I said, I suspect a 32 E-core chip on Intel 4 could compete quite nicely with the M1 Ultra.
No data suggests that Intel's technology could outperform Apple's at any equivalent power level. Efficiency curves change based on power draw but that isn't relevant to this comparison as Apple chips would likely see similar improvements.

Last edited:
No data suggests that Intel's technology could outperform Apple's at any equivalent power level. Efficiency curves change based on power draw but that isn't relevant to this comparison as Apple chips would likely see similar improvements.
I literally provided data in my post and you ignored it. The question I am addressing is whether Intel could provide equivalent performance to the M1 Ultra at stock settings with equivalent power draw, not whether they can beat the M1 Ultra at every conceivable power level.

We already know that Alder Lake does worse than Zen 3 below 35W, so it wouldn't be terribly surprising if they were to become less competitive with Apple at lower power levels. But it also wouldn't be surprising if they became more competitive at higher power levels due to Apple's efficiency curve being shifted down, as with AMD's.

I literally provided data in my post and you ignored it. The question I am addressing is whether Intel could provide equivalent performance to the M1 Ultra at stock settings with equivalent power draw, not whether they can beat the M1 Ultra at every conceivable power level.

We already know that Alder Lake does worse than Zen 3 below 35W, so it wouldn't be terribly surprising if they were to become less competitive with Apple at lower power levels. But it also wouldn't be surprising if they became more competitive at higher power levels due to Apple's efficiency curve being shifted down, as with AMD's.
How does the data you provided demonstrate that Intel can match the M1 Ultra at its stock 60 watt power level?

How does the data you provided demonstrate that Intel can match the M1 Ultra at its stock 60 watt power level?
Well, take the limit case where Intel has a 60 E-core CPU. According to the efficiency curves in the article, the E-cores at 1W provide around 45% of their performance at 6W, where they can't scale further. (On the 12900K Anandtech saw max power consumption of 48W for all 8 cores at 3.9 GHz: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...hybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/4). We also know that 8 E-cores give around 25% of the total multithreaded performance of the 12900K at stock (https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...ybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/10). So 60 E-cores at stock would be ~1.875 of a 12900K. Scale that by 0.45 and you get 0.84 of a 12900K. That's for a desktop CPU on Intel 7. So moving to a laptop CPU on Intel 4, you would only need an extra 20% performance per watt for rough parity with the 12900K in multithreading.

A 60 E-core CPU may seem like a crazy idea, but as you can fit 4 E-cores in the space of 4 P-cores, you are really only talking about 15 P-cores worth of die space. And the M1 Ultra is already two 8 high-performance core CPUs sandwiched together.

The same math for a 32 E-core CPU, would see those cores delivering ~45% of a 12900K's performance @1W/core. Then you would have 28W to feed 8 P-cores, or 3.5W per core. The article doesn't show scaling figures beyond 22W/core, however for 22W/core vs. 3.5W/core we see performance roughly halves. Even assuming up to a 60% reduction in performance for the upper clock speed ranges, would give us 0.75 * 0.4 = 0.3 of a 12900K's performance. So 8 P cores + 32 E-cores would be expected to give 0.3 + 0.45 = 0.75 of a 12900K. Then you would need an extra 33% performance per watt for rough parity with the 12900K.

Well, take the limit case where Intel has a 60 E-core CPU. According to the efficiency curves in the article, the E-cores at 1W provide around 45% of their performance at 6W, where they can't scale further. (On the 12900K Anandtech saw max power consumption of 48W for all 8 cores at 3.9 GHz: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...hybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/4). We also know that 8 E-cores give around 25% of the total multithreaded performance of the 12900K at stock (https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...ybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/10). So 60 E-cores at stock would be ~1.875 of a 12900K. Scale that by 0.45 and you get 0.84 of a 12900K. That's for a desktop CPU on Intel 7. So moving to a laptop CPU on Intel 4, you would only need an extra 20% performance per watt for rough parity with the 12900K in multithreading.

A 60 E-core CPU may seem like a crazy idea, but as you can fit 4 E-cores in the space of 4 P-cores, you are really only talking about 15 P-cores worth of die space. And the M1 Ultra is already two 8 high-performance core CPUs sandwiched together.

The same math for a 32 E-core CPU, would see those cores delivering ~45% of a 12900K's performance @1W/core. Then you would have 28W to feed 8 P-cores, or 3.5W per core. The article doesn't show scaling figures beyond 22W/core, however for 22W/core vs. 3.5W/core we see performance roughly halves. Even assuming up to a 60% reduction in performance for the upper clock speed ranges, would give us 0.75 * 0.4 = 0.3 of a 12900K's performance. So 8 P cores + 32 E-cores would be expected to give 0.3 + 0.45 = 0.75 of a 12900K. Then you would need an extra 33% performance per watt for rough parity with the 12900K.
It's a huge assumption to assume linear performance scaling with 60 cores. All kinds of possible bottlenecks could arise. This would also leave single thread performance well below the M1 ultra.

It's a huge assumption to assume linear performance scaling with 60 cores. All kinds of possible bottlenecks could arise. This would also leave single thread performance well below the M1 ultra.
As I said, I see the 32 E-core 8 P-core design as the more likely option, which would maintain a balance of single core/lightly threaded and multicore performance. And my claim is not that this will happen, but that it is possible. That's a pretty low bar to clear.

(Apple already manages close to linear CPU scaling with the M1 Ultra vs M1 Max while using an interposer, and I am talking about a monolithic design)

Last edited:
It's also worth remembering that from a die space point of view the Intel also includes a GPU. So comparing it to just the CPU portion of the M1 is troublesome. What if for example they swapped that GPU out for another 8 or 16 E-cores within the same Power Envelope (no idea if that's possible).

On a sidenote (and yes it's a joke...) when Tachyum finally releases its long promised "universal" processor all other CPU developers will be caught with their pants down :p

They're looking for compiler engineers :p Either way to bounce back on topic: comparisons between Apple and N other hardware are perfectly fine by me, but it still doesn't change the fact that in reality Apple is more or less competing with itself only. Obviously M1 and one or more succeeding SoCs will have to deal with sw related hickups but eventually Apple will iron them out at some point. I don't see Apple returning to Intel/AMD/NV hw in any foreseeable future rather the contrary.

For real future competition for low end laptops I'm personally more interested what Qualcomm and/or Samsung can come up with in the future. And what would be a real eulogy for all us consumers is to see products with a much higher battery life/power efficiency and NOT the high prices of Macbooks.

it's unfortunate Apple only competes with themselves. They could compete quite well in the PC CPU space.

It would defy their actual marketing purpose of delivering something "unique". Especially since they devote as many resources to develop and maintain their own sw platform(-s).

And not at that performance either. Its not like others are lagging behind in that area.

Who are others exactly? If I take today a M1 powered Apple tablet and compare it in about everything against a Snap Gen1 tablet is the above still valid? Granted the picture might change significantly for QCOM starting 2023, but they still haven't delivered a higher end SoC for low end laptops yet.

Who are others exactly? If I take today a M1 powered Apple tablet and compare it in about everything against a Snap Gen1 tablet is the above still valid? Granted the picture might change significantly for QCOM starting 2023, but they still haven't delivered a higher end SoC for low end laptops yet.

I was mostly referring to the laptop/desktop space. For smartphones apple is ahead but not by much, for the tablet space apple is about the only player indeed.

Back