Apple is an existential threat to the PC

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by MfA, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DSoup

DSoup X
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Europe, not the UK. :nope: The US is not larger than Europe.

Lightman and PSman1700 like this.
  2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

There are greater distances within the US than within Europe thanks to hawaii and Alaska.

3. DSoup

DSoup X
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

It's really about coverage. The land area of the USA is 9.83 million km². The land area of Europe is 10.18 million km². Like Hawaii, Europe has a bunch of islands off its central land mass as well.

4. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

well if you're gonna start doing that then you better include europes overseas areas, hell france by itself has "larger distances" than the USA
    I didnt realize there was a piece off the coast of canada!
    [​IMG]

Laurent06 and Lightman like this.
  5. Gubbi

Veteran

The main difference between Europe and the USA is the way people a distributed. Most european countries have a population density over 100 people / km². The corresponding number for the US i 34. US population is, as a first order generalization, concentrated in relatively few, large population centers, with a big part in the middle used for growing corn.

This is very off topic though.

Cheers

Lightman likes this.
  6. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Canary islands for one.

Anyway if were talking continents, it be eurasia vs the americas, the former being much larger. Its europe and asia where things like whatsapp, imo, line etc are the most used even ios users do.

7. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

Not where I live (Denmark).
    Even though Denmark is EXTREMELY digital...the "apps" leave a lot to be desired in functionality compared to the proper website/application.
    You can "get by" on your mobile device.
    But any serious stuff...you toss the mobile-crap on the table and boot up the proper website on a proper monitor.

And don't get me started on Enterprise...were I sit now, no body in their right mind uses Crapple...starting a new job (Infrastructure Operation Architect) next month and I will wager Crapple will be abscent there too....bigtime.

I even have a former co-worker that works as an video editor...he dropped his "Crapple is best for video-editing" after he tried a proper PC (mine) in a A/B test.

But no matter the arguments...you always end up "fighting" the R.D.F....it is very strong in Crapple-land/cult

PSman1700 likes this.
  8. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

I was gonna point that out as well but then you have NZ and oz which have a less population than USA (and in OZ a lot less)
    The simple fact is USA internet sucks compared to similar countries WRT what you get for the price due to its monopolistic nature in large swaths of the country.
    Instead of getting nationalistic about this, I never understand why ppl are like this (well I do understand), but I just find it wierd as Im never nationalistic about NZ Im also very willing to point out its multitudes of flaws, ppl tell me to stop shitting on the country often, but the thing is if you dont point out flaws then things will not get improved.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/...lies-internet-telecommunications-cheerleading
    https://www.telecompetitor.com/broa...illion-americans-served-by-only-one-provider/
    not OT: since Its talking about monopolies so very relevant to apple :yep2:

DSoup and BRiT like this.
  9. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Hawaii is a state, with a population over a million not an overseas territory.

#529 AlphaWolf, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
  10. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

A bit older image but the visualization is still close enough to today's figures...

[​IMG]

11. WhiningKhan

Regular Newcomer

How does this relate to the topic of Internet service quality then? Good or bad?

12. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

yes I've been there to see the lava up close ;) talk about expensive during xmas $300US for a 40 min return flight to the big island from maui (the last time I took a flight was 3hrs to gran canary island $25 return, which in itself is a joke, should be illegal these subsidized flights)

I looked up the following cause its interesting
    French Overseas territories are considered parts of france (unlike say the USA territory of Puerto Rico or so where ppl don't have the same rights as ppl on the mainland of USA)

i.e. French territory != USA territory

Réunion has a population of close to a million and also part of france and is an integral parts of the French Republic. Réunion is an outermost region of the European Union and is part of the eurozone.[3] Réunion and the fellow French overseas department of Mayotte are the only eurozone regions located in the Southern Hemisphere.

Obviously its got cheap internet, since it has high population density ?
    Though I'm guessing not, from memory the only thing cheap on hawaii were the buses (compared to the mainland everything costs way more), though On topic, I did manage to score some cheapish mobile data there, the guy in the shop didnt want to sell it to me (but you're not a resident etc, this is only an introductory price to get you onto the service, blah blah)

DSoup likes this.
  13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It only covers 119 396 km^2 though, Queen Elizabeth technically rules over 29 958 050 km^2 and it obviously dwarfs the US. And everyone else for that matter.
    [​IMG]

Lightman likes this.
  14. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

the sun never sets on the empire

Though if you remove those that are not part of the UK, the green will shrink to basically just the UK and a few dots

Just looking into the history of rwanda (cause I thought it was french controlled at one stage never british), I see it was never french controlled, german -> belgium (prolly where I confused it with french "the language")
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8384930.stm
    very strange, they wanted to become part of the commonwealth must of been the glory of cricket :lol2:

15. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

If one only counts the "Commonwealth Realms" (where Queen Elizabeth II is actually head of state), the size is much smaller, but still slightly larger than Russia (in both land area and population).

16. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

Sure looks like a real threat :-D
    [​IMG]

PSman1700 and Laurent06 like this.
  17. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

IOS15 could be called IOS14.7 aswell but ok. Also, anything below Iphone 8/X (A11 Bionic) wont see the features apple made headlines with in their IOS15 unveil.

18. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

In her Majesty's own words: "Oh really?" :D

19. Jubei

Regular

I dont know a single person outside of the tech world that cares about updates, they often dont even know they have an update waiting

Hell my gf got pissed when she upgraded to an iPhone without a homebutton because now she had to relearn everything

PSman1700 likes this.
  20. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Its for many a reason to go with an iphone/ipad, due to the many OS updates. Thing is, compared to Android its kinda hard to compare like for like, as Android is modular, software (even core) is usually updated via the playstore, while IOS updates usually everything with a whole new OS update. Android phones might see fewer OS revisions but also need fewer.