* Anyone used a USB 2.0 flash card to mount your pagefile?

g__day

Regular
I was wondering, given a USB 2.0 Flash card is a fairly fast device, and is detected under windows as a mounted drive has anyone ever used one as a drive to mount your pagefile from?

I wondered if a 512MB USB 2.0 drive pagefile wouldn't be a lot faster than a hard drive?

Under the advanced performance system setting my USB drive is displayed as H: and can be selected as a page file.

So anyone have any thought on this?

bad idea.
flash memory has a limited number of writes before it goes bad.
this is a bad idea, not to mention it iwll almost certainly be slower.

Write times to flash media are pretty slow, though they have almost no 'seek time'.

Regardless, using them for a page file will 'quickly' exceed their erase cycle expectancy.

Bugger - forgot about the 100,000 writes life cycles!

Sigh I wonder if a RAMDISK for your pagefile might be better; yes I know how dumb this idea is - blame Bill Gates - not me!

I don't understand why rigs with 1GB+ RAM still need a pagefile and even when the RAM is 70% free you still have the pagefile in use.

g__day said:
Bugger - forgot about the 100,000 writes life cycles!

Sigh I wonder if a RAMDISK for your pagefile might be better; yes I know how dumb this idea is - blame Bill Gates - not me!

I don't understand why rigs with 1GB+ RAM still need a pagefile and even when the RAM is 70% free you still have the pagefile in use.

If you've used Linux that isn't the case.

I had 0 page file use but at the same time half my memory was eaten. However you can tweak the OS to use the bare essentials.

Back