Anand's 9800 XT review

I don't think it's really fair of Anand to do an image quality-centric article on drivers that aren't released to the public, nor are likely to ever be released. Sounds on a lot of work all for nothing, he's just going to have to repeat it all over again once release versions of the 50-series drivers hit the net...

On the other hand, it's not exactly fair of Nvidia to cook up drivers that won't ever be released, just used in comparisons against ATi to give the highest possible score...

The fake trilinear thing for example (something I thought ended with the TNT chips by the way), what's stopping NV from doing that in all kinds of games where you can't enable colored mipmaps to detect that kind of cheating?

*G*

I thought it was a little ridiculous that almost every benchmark had the stipulation that "AA didn't seem to be applied. We'll investigate later." or "Image Quality wasn't up to snuff. We'll investigate later." and yet they still included the results for the Nvidia cards. Yeesh.

Another thing is that they kept talking about memory bandwidth. Well, the 9800 XT has less bandwidth and less overall fillrate than the NV35/NV38, so memory bandwidth wouldn't be an issue if the 9800 XT is outperforming it right? I am crazy or is that parroted "memory bandwidth seems to be an issue" not the correct conclusion here? :?

Not only that, but after Lars' article regarding IQ for nvidia drivers, I'm spoiled wrt benchmarking unreleased drivers. :D

Natoma, in his conclusion he clearly states that he would be weary of recommending an NV card:
We?re quite weary of recommending any of the current NVIDIA cards at this point

Im suprised thought that ati performed so poorly in NWN and Homeworld2. Are they TWIMTBP titles?

later,
epic

Weary? Why should they be tired?

Perhaps they meant wary. :p

Personally, I thought it was a dreadful review. They compared the XT against the unannounced and unreleased NV38 using unreleased drivers and with little mention of NV image quality problems which most people are aware of. Pointless!

epicstruggle said:
Im suprised thought that ati performed so poorly in NWN and Homeworld2. Are
There are lots of threads about nwn not performing as it should at rage3d. It seems like performance got better (with both new drivers and new game patches), but it's not quite there yet. Supposedly it's because nwn was developed almost exclusively on nvidia cards (remember shiny water? took a lot of time unless that worked on ati cards - and btw still doesn't work under linux with anything else than nvidia cards).
Last time I heard ATI is still working together with bioware to improve the performance.

apart from the graphic card reviewed

did anyone notice anandtech used a 2.8gigz prescott cpu for the review???

Mariner said:
Personally, I thought it was a dreadful review. They compared the XT against the unannounced and unreleased NV38 using unreleased drivers and with little mention of NV image quality problems which most people are aware of. Pointless!
I don't think it was that bad. First, I applaud anand for giving up the "UT2k3 only" benchmark style. Second, the preview proved (we kinda knew this already, but it was all rumor) that the NV38 doesn't have any architectural improvements over NV35 (unlike NV36 which is rumoured to indeed have some improvements). I would have liked to see the image quality part of the preview included, but I guess due to time restrictions it wasn't possible - and he mentioned some issues quite a lot and promised to do the analysis later, so I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen that part.

heh they claim that the NV38 fights back well in the AA/AF benchmarks... but don't study IQ though... personally I cannot see how an AA/AF benchmark could be conducted without IQ comparisons... saying "IQ in part2" is lame.... they shouldn't have performed AA/AF benchmarks then at this point - also the vast majority of the games used (esp without AA/AF being applied properly) are CPU limited and/or use DX8.1 shaders... which shows nothing in terms of lastibility of the cards - and a $500 card should last a while ;)

epicstruggle said:
Natoma, in his conclusion he clearly states that he would be weary of recommending an NV card:

Taking into context exactly what he's saying, that statement from him doesn't really mean all that much imo.

Anandtech said:
We’re quite weary of recommending any of the current NVIDIA cards at this point, for two major reasons. First, with NV38 coming right around the corner any FX 5900 Ultra purchases wouldn’t be wise investments. Also, given the marginal performance improvements you can expect out of a 5% core clock increase, don’t have incredibly high expectations for the NV38. We can’t recommend the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra because NVIDIA has already indicated that NV36 (the 5600 Ultra’s successor) will be here shortly to replace it and should offer significantly greater performance. So if you’re looking to buy a video card right now, ATI is the way to go.

It sounds more like to me that he's saying "Well, NV38 and NV36 are just around the corner so we can't recommend the 5900 Ultra or the 5600. If you want a card right now, get ATI." Not that Anand is weary of recommending Nvidia because of all the malfeasance that has occurred in the past year.

Anandtech said:
Looking at the stats, ATI clearly wins in 6 games, NVIDIA wins in 4 games and the two come very close in 5 games. Games such as Command & Conquer Generals: Ground Zero and Simcity 4: Rush Hour are examples where ATI clearly has the lead over NVIDIA and the argument could be made that ATI holds the lead because they optimize for all games, while NVIDIA just optimizes for benchmark titles. However, looking at games like Homeworld 2 and Neverwinter Nights you could make the exact opposite argument.

No mention of Image Quality in this conclusion, despite it being littered throughout the review that there were IQ problems in most of the games and that it seemed AA/AF weren't even being applied, or applied correctly, by the 52.xx drivers.

In fact, there was no mention of IQ in the entire conclusion. I thought that was a little odd when talking about which company "won" which particular benchmark.

Anandtech said:
What’s clear is that both manufacturers optimize for the more popular games and the focus of optimizations is obviously greater on more visible games. With that said, we’re hoping that by expanding our test suite we will be able to encourage optimizations to make more games run better. We’ll see how the picture we’ve depicted here today changes as time goes on.

No mention whatsoever of any of the "optimizations" Nvidia has been found guilty of over the past year. Just a simple lumping together of both companies who "optimize" for games. I'm sorry, but that's misleading. There's a difference between legitimate optimizations and illegitimate ones, and Anand/DWilson make no distinction between the two.

If a review is being made, that should be part of the review itself if any conclusions are to be done, not looked into "later on", which usually never happens in the anandtech world. "Later on" means "We usually wait until the article disappears from the main page and then we dump a whole other bunch of shit up and never follow through". I've seen it happen before unfortunately at AT.

The image quality problems Lars Wienand found at THG in the new 52.xx drivers should immediately throw up the red flags to any reviewer that something is wrong. Not to mention benchmarking unreleased hardware (and who knows if it's ever going to come out, or come out in quantity *cough* shades of NV30 *cough*) using unreleased and known-to-be-low-quality-IQ drivers.

I just have a problem with the overall review. I'm able to articulate this more since I'm actually awake now. :)

Anandtech said:
Although we did provide some insight into the “next generation†of games with scores from Halo, the real question on everyone’s mind is still Half Life 2 as well as Doom3. The performance crown under Doom3 is still in NVIDIA’s camp apparently, and although the latest drivers have closed the gap significantly, ATI is still ahead in Half Life 2. The numbers we’ve seen indicate that in most tests ATI only holds single digit percentage leads (< 5%), although in some cases ATI manages to pull ahead by double digits.

Oh lord here we go again with the "Just wait for Doom3! It'll be the r0x0r!" He hears through the grapevine that Doom3 is still faster on the Nvidia cards which imo is to be expected. However, he then goes on to state that the performance gap between the ATI cards and the Nvidia cards has dwindled to the single digits in Half Life 2.

No mention of mixed mode precision. No mention of any potential image quality problems to actually get to such a performance level, etc etc etc. Personally, I fail to see how driver "magic" can make up a 100% performance deficiency so easily given the architectural shortcomings of the NV3x for a game like HL2. Not even a mention of "take this with a grain of salt until we see for ourselves what the image quality is like and what steps had to be taken to get the performance of the NV3x cards up to par with the R3x0 cards."

Frankly I was disappointed overall with this review.

epicstruggle said:
Im suprised thought that ati performed so poorly in NWN and Homeworld2. Are they TWIMTBP titles?

later,
epic

ATI has documentation for poor performance with these games. They've been working on fixes for them. Check out some threads over at R3D. :)

epicstruggle said:

later,
epic

NWN is known to be heavily nvidia optiimized. As for Homeworld2, it's OpenGL based which is still a strong point for nvidia. It also contains shadow bugs under R3xx video cards. I have to turn it off on my R9500Pro for it to be a good speed. Hopefully next Catalyst drivers will fix that.

phynicle said:
apart from the graphic card reviewed

did anyone notice anandtech used a 2.8gigz prescott cpu for the review???

Yes. So he's benchmarking unreleased hardware (NV38) with unreleased drivers (52.xx) on an unreleased cpu (Prescott). And who knows when any of those will be released. Nice tandem. :)

Natoma echos my sentiments exactly. Sometimes, try as they might, the truth is a pretty large beast to shroud over.

Yes. So he's benchmarking unreleased hardware (NV38) with unreleased drivers (52.xx) on an unreleased cpu (Prescott). And who knows when any of those will be released. Nice tandem. :)

Too bad they couldn't "close the deal" with an unreleased article...

My biggest beef is that Anand still doesn't know how to separate CPU limitations and video card limitations. Half of the benchmarks show no diff with AA/AF, clearly pointing to CPU limitations (or shader extensive titles, which none of those are).

I think he should do a 640x480 test to show driver CPU usage, and choose a higher resolution (if possible) that makes all of the video cards the most limiting factor.

I think he should do a 640x480 test to show driver CPU usage, and choose a higher resolution (if possible) that makes all of the video cards the most limiting factor.

Well clearly there are a number of resolutions he could have used that would have better suited a video card test.

For that sort of comparison you should really have:

1024x768
1024x768 4xfsaa 8xaf

1600x1200
1600x1200 4x fsaa 8xaf

(1024x768 not needed for older games)

I liked the new set of benchmarked games though, I hope ATI can improve homeworld 2 performance a bit.

As they uses the 52.?? drivers they should also really have benched with the 45.23s as well to show what the cards are getting currently

I wonder why Ananand was in such a hurry to put together an article comparing 9800XT and NV38. It's not like both of them are out and in volume, they could have actually gone and done a lot more in depth testing.

It would even be cooler if they actually stated their entire system setup like they usually do instead of all of 3 lines stating barely anything.

Where did they say they had a prescott?

edit: Never mind, for some reason they put prescott in white text.
That's just plain silly, either they're lying, or being too immature to just say it in plain text. You can't tell me they "accidentally" put the word prescott in white text.

What's the point when most of the tests are more dependent on the video cards, and half of the video cards are running on det 50s that probably don't do what they're supposed to?
It's like saying, "We've got a prescott, wooooo!"

Why use it? If they wanted to alleviate any potential cpu bottleneck, they would have been better off with a P4 3.2C, or an P4 EE, or even an Athlon 64FX.

I couldn't care less what processor they have if they don't bother to actually test it in exclusion to everything else. Now we have an untested cpu with untested det 50s, and unreleased cards. Great freaking roundup there.

I just found the word prescott in white text in the article, next to the first line in their anemic system setup section.

I really don't like to bash sites, but sometimes it's shoddy methodology and lousy font games like this that really give me the urge to say their work isn't good.

edit:
Not to mention that with an article that tests graphics cards there isn't one bloody screenshot.

With their mentioning of "possible" IQ concerns that they had absolutely no time to look at or take a screenshot of and their promising that they will cover it in a later article, they should have just subtitled their roundup "By the way, this article is a complete waste of your time".

I demand they give me back the missing 2 minutes of my life that it took me to go through that totally substance-free excuse of an article.

You could say that article did not bring me joy.

Back