AMD X2 4200+ quick question

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by almighty, Jun 18, 2008.

1. almighty

Banned

Im in the market for a new GPU now to replace my trusty 1650 PRO and ive got a few idea's in the shape of a 9600GT or a 8800GT. Both are nearly the same cost by me but my only concern is my CPU.

Realisticly what GPU can i get before my X2 starts to be bottleneck? Would it bottleneck either of the 9600GT or the 8800GT??

Any other GPU recomendations would be helpful :)

2. Davros

Legend

I guess it would bottleneck a 96 or 88 but thats no reason not to get one ;)

3. PARANOiA

Veteran

Like most things it depends on the game and the desired resolution. I have a 3800+ X2 and recently upgraded to a 9600GT from a 6800GS, and most games work well and seem to have a decent amount of balance between GPU and CPU with this pair. I game at 1920x1200 in full screen but have shifted to usually gaming in a window at 1680x1050, purely so I can watch movies on my second screen and do various other bits and pieces while gaming.

The only game I've played recently that performs not-so-well was Age of Conan, and that's due to engine using very little of your GPU's horsepower, and keeping your CPU at ~100% load, while also being a memory hog (I'm on 2GB). I float at about 20FPS in most situations except when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with not much scenery.