AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Exactly.
    Unless Renoir skips LPDDR again, a significantly larger/faster iGPU than Raven Ridge's Vega 11 will be running circles around Ice Lake U with the Iris Pro G7, which is Renoir's sole competition.

2. Leovinus

Since AMD is a big proponent of HSA I suppose that could make sense. The downside to iGPU's is the way they become wasted silicon once you add in a dedicated GPU. With a Vega ISA onboard you guarantee a compute focused resource which can also do some light graphics work as an iGPU. Suddenly it's not a waste, which sounds great in theory. But wouldn't it require more every-day use cases to become a valid sales argument? I.e. some tangible speedup in users everyday lives? Especially since iGPU's are historically aimed towards systembuilders uninterested in dedicated solutions. The rest have compute resources on hand through dedicated GPU's.

I don't work in the field though. Maybe Windows or MacOS already use compute resources for OS functions?

w0lfram likes this.
  3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Has AMD come up with actually new chip, or does their new investor slide deck have a mistake in it?
    [​IMG]

The last known Excavator-based architectures were Bristol Ridge and Stoney Ridge and they have GCN3, not Vega/GCN5

Lightman likes this.
  4. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

My first thought was that this had to be a typo, but the A6 and A4 logo do make me wonder whether this might be some new low-end offering. I can't say that I really see the point of an Excavator-based APU over a dual-core Ryzen, however.

5. Leovinus

Shoehorning Vega into A-series might be cheaper than keeping support up for < GCN4? Maybe? At some level it's either a typo or someone at AMD figured the ROI is worth it over Ryzen. Though I'd be very curious to look at that calculation.

6. ToTTenTranz

There's no Excavator on 14nm, nor Vega on 28nm.

I can't see how that thing is anything other than a typo. If they exist, future A4/A6 APUs are either rebrandings of older chips or cut-down Ryzen APUs.

7. del42sa

Newcomer

do you remember this ?

8. ToTTenTranz

I don't remember it, but I know that quote is at least 4 years old. Perhaps the first 14nm tapeouts from AMD+GF did use bulldozer cores because Zen wasn't ready until a year later.
    I wouldn't count on future products using Bulldozer. At least I don't see the point in it.