AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Exactly.
    Unless Renoir skips LPDDR again, a significantly larger/faster iGPU than Raven Ridge's Vega 11 will be running circles around Ice Lake U with the Iris Pro G7, which is Renoir's sole competition.

2. Leovinus

Newcomer

Since AMD is a big proponent of HSA I suppose that could make sense. The downside to iGPU's is the way they become wasted silicon once you add in a dedicated GPU. With a Vega ISA onboard you guarantee a compute focused resource which can also do some light graphics work as an iGPU. Suddenly it's not a waste, which sounds great in theory. But wouldn't it require more every-day use cases to become a valid sales argument? I.e. some tangible speedup in users everyday lives? Especially since iGPU's are historically aimed towards systembuilders uninterested in dedicated solutions. The rest have compute resources on hand through dedicated GPU's.

I don't work in the field though. Maybe Windows or MacOS already use compute resources for OS functions?

w0lfram likes this.
  3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Has AMD come up with actually new chip, or does their new investor slide deck have a mistake in it?
    [​IMG]

The last known Excavator-based architectures were Bristol Ridge and Stoney Ridge and they have GCN3, not Vega/GCN5

Lightman likes this.
  4. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

My first thought was that this had to be a typo, but the A6 and A4 logo do make me wonder whether this might be some new low-end offering. I can't say that I really see the point of an Excavator-based APU over a dual-core Ryzen, however.

5. Leovinus

Newcomer

Shoehorning Vega into A-series might be cheaper than keeping support up for < GCN4? Maybe? At some level it's either a typo or someone at AMD figured the ROI is worth it over Ryzen. Though I'd be very curious to look at that calculation.

6. ToTTenTranz

There's no Excavator on 14nm, nor Vega on 28nm.

I can't see how that thing is anything other than a typo. If they exist, future A4/A6 APUs are either rebrandings of older chips or cut-down Ryzen APUs.

7. del42sa

Newcomer

do you remember this ?

8. ToTTenTranz

I don't remember it, but I know that quote is at least 4 years old. Perhaps the first 14nm tapeouts from AMD+GF did use bulldozer cores because Zen wasn't ready until a year later.
    I wouldn't count on future products using Bulldozer. At least I don't see the point in it.

9. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

#5949 Arnold Beckenbauer, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  10. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

That would be a major win for AMD, they've never really had a big design win in this market.

Lightman likes this.
  11. ToTTenTranz

Just a minor correction:
    It's not the Surface 3 as that one already exists.
    It would be a version of the Surface Laptop, though probably a lower cost one.

Lightman likes this.
  12. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Thanks, I ment Surface Laptop 3.

13. ToTTenTranz

"Microsoft Surface", not Surface Laptop. Could mean nothing and it's still about the laptop though.
    I don't think Microsoft would equip a Surface tablet with DDR instead of LPDDR, so it's most probably the Surface Laptop because it can give preference to hibernation instead of sleep.

Though it's weird that they're going with AMD's APUs now, when they could use Ice Lake across the board with similar performance.
    I guess the Surface team just doesn't care about being late on hardware adoption.

#5953 ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  14. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Perf per watt per dollar?

15. fehu

Veteran Regular

Considering other similar notebook's price, I think that they could have a decent margin even if they put in a pure gold heatsink.

16. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

What have the unit sales been like for Surface?

edit:

hm... how does the iGPU performance compare?

Anyways, it's a business procurement deal, so it has to come down to only so many variables regardless if they can afford to take a hit on the margin.

17. ToTTenTranz

Yes, a Picasso + DDR4 2400MT/s should cost only a fraction of what an Ice Lake with Iris Plus + LPDDR4 3733MT/s does.
    But then again, the Surface line is mostly made of premium products with premium margins, so shouldn't they be looking for the best performance per watt anyways?

Intel says the G7 Iris Pro with 128bit LPDDR4X 3733MT/s performs similar to a Vega 10 in the 3700U with DDR4 2400MT/s when both are at 25W:

[​IMG]

I'm yet to find a review of an Ice Lake laptop with the G7 GPU. In fact as far as Ice Lake laptops go, there's only notebookcheck's review of the latest XPS 2-in-1 but for some odd reason they tested the Core i3 + G1 variant.

BRiT, Malo and TheAlSpark like this.
  18. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Cheers. I hadn't been able to catch up the last while. :oops:

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It may just be Microsoft getting ready for an AMD product further down the road and this is just them putting out a product to gauge longer term viability of AMD CPUs in the Surface lineup. It's also possible that there are custom alterations in the xx50 lineup to suit Microsoft's needs. Perhaps it'll support LPDDR4 allowing for greater battery life.

I also wonder if this might be their first step in working closer with AMD for a future APU/SOC with higher GPU performance in order to replace using a discrete NV GPU in some of their other models, notably the Surface Book line.

There's also the possibility of Microsoft getting some kind of kick back for the Project Scarlett APU by using AMD APUs in their Surface line. Basically AMD saying we'll throw in a little something extra in the Project Scarlett SOC if you use our Ryzen APUs in your Surface line.

This does make one wonder if the Ryzen APUs will co-exist with Intel CPUs in the same Surface Lines or if a new Surface Lineup will be created for the AMD APUs or if the AMD APUs will be replacing Intel CPUs?

Regards,
    SB

Lightman likes this.
  20. ToTTenTranz

There's this new rumor saying Microsoft might officially announce Renoir as a high-end option for the Surface Laptop 3.

Brad Sams apparently got the same tip, with a list of specs and prices:

The 12GB RAM option would make sense if Renoir is using LPDDR4X from Samsung, who sell 48Gb 64bit chips.

Silent_Buddha, BRiT and Lightman like this.