AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Would the fury driver be a logical starting point for them given the similarity of the design?

2. Diabetes

Newcomer

Geeforcer
    Yes you are right, I had to google that one again. It was in January when they were showing Vega vs GTX 1080 in Doom.

3. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

Where did this come from?

4. Diabetes

Newcomer

From me. I can provoke this in Dark Souls 3 by playing with camera angles. This can sometimes lead to one or two triangles from a wall being removed, allowing me to see through. I do not clip the camera into a wall for this. This happens with walls that are 20m away from the camera. My R9 290 and R9 380 did not do that.

5. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

When binning was added to Linux drivers, it was done with a note stating tuned for Raven. That would be at odds with Raven being behind in development.

Planning an invasion to deplete our world of bitcoins.

6. DavidGraham

Veteran

I have seen videos of Vega at extremely high overclocks with a lot of messing geometry in tests like TimeSpy and FireStrike. Results were invalidated because of this.

7. Diabetes

Newcomer

On the other hand, the Windows drivers for Raven Ridge are still based on 17.7, crash a lot and lack configurability according to APUsilicon.

Buildzoid had this issue when doing LN2. For me this happens in DS3 on stock bios with stock settings.

8. Digidi

Newcomer

Can you link one video? I'm interested!

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Raja saying "Fury drivers" did happen AFAIK, but it was a year ago in the first public showing when the silicon was fresh from factory

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  10. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

I don't know how you conclude this is from DSBR. It's not the only change between Vega10 and your old cards and could be a software or hardware bug.

11. Despoiler

Newcomer

My recollection was that the information came out on the AMD subReddit for the post of that initial performance video. Possibly and AMA that happen at the same time. 100% sure that one of the AMD reps chimed up that the drivers were modified Fury drivers. Debugging enabled with some tweaks to ignore the errors.

12. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

I thought it was an AMD rep at one of the editor tech days. Something along the lines of going back to Fury for a foundation for the new drivers.

13. MDolenc

Regular

14. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I find this whole “modified drivers” discussion very strange. As if every new GPU is supposed to have a whole new driver, which is of course not true.

So when it’s more a continuous progression as new features get added, where do you draw the line between “modified Fury driver” and “true Vega driver”?

hurleybird likes this.
  15. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

I am sorry, but if after 6 months, numerous driver releases (including thousands-man-hours efforts such as Adrenalin) AIB boards, etc. anyone is still holding out hope that magic drivers are going to be here as soon as AMD gets around to it....

Your best bet is that some of these features need to be supported explicitly in software to be taken advantage of... of course that also means developers need to pour resources into codepaths for ALL those Vegas a actually out there and used for gaming. In others words, small chance outside of “partner” games where devrel pretty much furnishes the code.

pharma likes this.
  16. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

That explicitly goes against what Rys was saying.

17. yuri

Newcomer

Vega10 was apparently their first chip based on their SOC15 methodology/framework.

18. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Right, but I think what Geeforcer was saying is that it's still your most opportunistic chance for performance increases, as in its your best bet for performance increases because if they're already enabled by the drivers while there's lack of performance improvements shown then it made zero impact. Well except for giving people hope.

pharma and Geeforcer like this.
  19. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

That’s exactly what I was trying to say. IMHO, everything that COULD come from the drivers in existing software WOULD have already arrived. My position that IF we were to see big gains going forward, it will have to be via work on developer’s part, whether it be in form of patches to existing software or resource investment into projects still in development. IF it’s possible at all.

pharma and BRiT like this.
  20. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

Or it comes from fixing any bugs that are holding things back. Just two weeks ago one got fixed that would have been a show stopper for certain key aspects of binning and primitive shaders. Not that long ago even FP16 between Vega and pre-Vega wasn't working due to opcode issues. It stands to reason there are some complicated shader compiler issues that are somewhat beyond the scope of just drivers. The LLVM tool chain with SM6+ probably takes some work and would likely be the priority for some contracts.

Even without those features, Vega has acceptable performance. Fixing those issues wouldn't address the current supply issues either. I'm unsure there is any urgency there outside of Raven, which doesn't really have any competition in the APU market anyways. Intel doesn't dominate graphics market share because Iris is faster. Just cheaper on a smaller form factor.