AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

This is weird, from the texturing, the tesselation, the bw,... I hope we will have great reviews explaining all this (exept if RX Vega correct this but I don't see how..)

2. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

At the very least toward the RX Vega launch announced for Siggraph, I would expect more architectural details.

BacBeyond and Cat Merc like this.
  3. Genotypical

Newcomer

only a few more days. with the vega tour AMD is doing, maybe we get something before 30th. I am expecting at least significantly better performance from rx vega. too many weird results from vega fe.

not sure if posted here but on http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Vega-...ase-AMD-Radeon-Frontier-Edition-1232684/2/#a3

they managed to get it running 1600Mhz with 1075 mV. Already we have some range for AMD to play with. Apparently it couldn't do compute at that voltage without issues but runs games just fine with it. Below is the normal behavior they observed before undervolting.

Should be really interesting when details come out. AMD has turned up the suspense on this one. Full blown mystery.

#2923 Genotypical, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    BacBeyond and ToTTenTranz like this.
  4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Google translated from german:
    I thought no one was being able to do vcore changes on Vega FE cards?
    Stable 1600MHz with 1.075V sounds good. I hope they release power consumption numbers for these settings but without increasing the power limit.

5. Cat Merc

Newcomer

Stable 1600MHz at 1.075V (which resulted in 250W in their testing )would at least not be a regression from Polaris in perf/watt, I believe? It's sad that that's even a thing lol

I also doubt that tour will include any proper performance comparisons. I.E FPS counters and A/B testing systems. It will probably just be a bunch of machines with pre-selected games without any performance metrics, and a camera shooting a bunch of players playing said games.

That would imply a far more confident AMD than what we're seeing with Vega so far.

#2925 Cat Merc, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

They will only show real perf. comparisons if Vega magically manage to beat or be close the the 1080Ti. which I doubt. I'm quite sure they will play the 4k max detail at 60hz lock thing once more.

7. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

If they couldn't run compute tasks without errors at 1.075V, then it wasn't stable.

8. mczak

Veteran

I don't see anything in the test indicating they even tried to run compute benchmarks with undervolting...

9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Where are you seeing this? Maybe it's a translation issue but I don't see this mentioned in the article.

10. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

That was 1050mV if the translation was accurate. Still without adaptive voltage and other features as I understand. Should be a 16% power reduction at just 1.1V.

Alexko likes this.
  11. Genotypical

Newcomer

its from the forum the author posts in. "Raff" is the one linked to the pcgameshardware.de site

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=11429132#post11429132

there are further discussions beyond that post.

pharma and Malo like this.
  12. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

The same happened with Polaris, AMD put too much voltages and most of the cards(early cards) actually gained performance when undervolting. But looking at vega it seems that they really rush the launch(again).

13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

The thing is - most only tested that with gaming, we don't know if the card is stable on other loads (compute) with those lower volts and AMD needs to make sure it is

14. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Well the card was not fully stable with launch drivers either.

15. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

Wasn't that what AVFS was designed to do without the heavy handed approach of forcing clocks and voltages? One other possibility with the overbuilt power phases is that each cluster has an independent supply. There could be a lot of voltages capable of being adjusted. With XB1X and the Hovis design they separated CPU and GPU. With Infinity they could take it a step further.

16. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Raff (he is my colleague) has posted in the 3DCenter thread, that at first, in fact, the card hard crashed (i think he meant blackscreen) with 1,075 mVolt AND at +50% power limit in the ComputeMark subtest MandelS Complex - when run in benchmark mode. He then tried the stress testing mode, and there it ran fine even down to 1,050 mVolt.

Since I was busy at the time with Skylake X, I cannot say how long he ran the stability tests though.

BacBeyond likes this.
  17. lanek

Veteran

Is there a possibility, then, that some change on compute side for Vega (including FP16 ) is doing that the gpu on compute intensive test, result on more TDP, more power hungry too when working than in more "normal stressing" ( intensive or gaming ) who dont sollicitate thoses parts the same way ?. ( meaning that thoses part will surely be disabled on the gaming version anyway. )... I see some report, that Vega gaming could be clocked way higher than the FE edition. (1700-1800mhz ).. ( but i cant confirm, first if it is true and not even if this is stock clock )

18. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

I am not sure, but if packed math and INT8 operations are executed by the same ALUs, I don't see much chance, that a gaming part, where pure compute is of lesser priority, would be able to clock much higher even if FP16/INT8 were disabled for those SKUs.

19. mczak

Veteran

Ah ok, I've seen it now. So maybe 1.075V is indeed just not quite enough to call it stable at that clock (even though it seemed to run at even 1.05V for compute afterwards, which wasn't stable with gaming). But even at 1.1V, the savings are quite substantial (as expected, of course).

20. ToTTenTranz

Later post says it was stable at 1050mV +50% TDP using a 300 second "MandelS burn test demo" (is this Mandel Scalar from Compute Mark?).
    The 1075mV crash may have been just a bug.

He also says that at 1050mV + 50% TDP (constant 1600MHz) the whole system is pulling 35W more than the card with default values.

BRiT and BacBeyond like this.