AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Nebuchadnezzar

Legend

Corrected, I was too hasty with the calculator. The point is that this isn't even a full day of fab capacity. It's not representative of yields over time.

2. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Well, I will take your word for it.
    Before there are further misunderstandings: What wafer size and chip size (width/length) are you basing this off?
    For very roughly guesstimated 19.2×24.7 mm die on a 300mm wafer, the number of full dies per should be more like 116, if i can trust this online-calculator here: http://www.silicon-edge.co.uk/j/index.php/resources/die-per-wafer

3. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

I know dreaming is free but 50% better performance seems like dreaming too hard for me...When was the last time that a product gain 50% more performance over a month? yes, exactly.

4. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Firstrike Ultra link: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12988276

I tried to find a similar GPU score with a 1080 and the same CPU: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9272181

What is interesting is this:

Vega FE:
    GPU Test 1: 28.12 fps
    GPU Test 2: 19.75 fps

1080:
    GPU Test 1: 30.2 fps
    GPU Test 2: 19.44 fps

Afaik (and I could be wrong) the first GPU test is focused on geometry + high tessellation factor while the second one is focused on testing memory bandwidth (at least on my 1080 Ti I've seen the biggest difference with higher memory clock on that test).

Cyan likes this.
  5. chavvdarrr

Veteran

One has to wonder why AMD had chosen to use HBM ...

6. SpaceBeer

Newcomer

Why do you think HBM is an issue?

7. T1beriu

Size.Very big win in AIO, mobile & tiny PCs.

8. seahawk

Regular

but 300W TBP is not so good for that application.

swaaye likes this.
  9. chavvdarrr

Veteran

- expensive
    - unavailable
    - not faster than gddr5x/gddr6

Its rambus all again

10. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Gimme a Vega kthxbye ! ;)
    (Will say how good it is if it supports everything I fancy!)

Lightman and chris1515 like this.
  11. Tofu

Newcomer

Did Sebbis VEGA just explode?

12. SpaceBeer

Newcomer

With four stacks of HBM, Fiji was ~$40 more expensive than R9 290X. I doubt difference in production cost between 2 HBM2 and 8 GDDR5X/6 stacks is bigger than that. It is probably even smaller. It will save some space and reduce power consumption (by 10 W maybe)

Regarding availabiltiy, there was no official information, only rumours.

Attached Files:

Despoiler likes this.
  13. pharma

Veteran Regular

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1982501/

14. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

Sorry, but none of this matches reality.

First of all, it's not as if Vega is produced on some super immature process. The characteristics and the spread of all parameters should be very well by now.

Second, all silicon has a bunch of test structures to determine where those parameters are located for a particular piece of silicon.

Third, you immediately order corner lots where the process skewed towards the various extremes of the process.

With the combination of all that, you only need a limited amount of samples to determine how many samples you're going to get for each bin.

100000 not enough? Ridiculous, and time to fire your statistician immediately. With a few 100, you'll be very close to the truth.

15. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I don't know if there's an issue with it, but there is simply no point in using it if you can't benefit from its advantages.

xEx and pharma like this.
  16. sonen

Newcomer

No, I have not seen clear differences. RX 580 does not bring anything into perf/W, even dips compared to RX 480, as expected due to higher clocks.
    Unless you are referring to magical Polarises using 120W overclocked sky high. Those I've seen, but they are coming from users using GPU-Z readings which does not give the entire card's power consumption.

17. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

We've talked about this before. In the table that you link to, they estimate a cost of $15 for one PCB and $5 for the other. Those prices are ridiculously out of whack. And any outfit with a phone and somebody who speaks Mandarin can figure that out.

If such an easy to obtain number is completely wrong, why do you trust a number, the price of HBM, that is much harder to figure out?

Cat Merc, pharma and Rys like this.
  18. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

I think the calculator is still giving wrong numbers. I think you wanted to say over 200 wafers.

It might not be representative of yields over time, but it should be fairly representative of power characteristics of the chip. These chips are working within AMD-specs. specs that have been released to public, 300W for the air cooled and 375 for the liquid cooled version. It's very unlikely that these power figures are going to drastically go down when the volume grows, unless a major redesign is done. The process itself is also already fairly mature.

silent_guy likes this.
  19. SpaceBeer

Newcomer

Ok, that might be wrong. But Fury had $550 launch price and ~$500 several months later. I think we can assume production cost of Hawaii/Grenada is ~200$ at most. There is no way they would go for HBM it is cuts their profits at half, i.e. if HBM increases production cost for additional ~$150 and doesn't bring a lot of performance. I mean, it's the high-end product that brings the money, why whould you lower your margins.

20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

And AMD has been saying since the beginning that FE in gaming mode is not the same as RX