AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD’s Radeon RX 480 draws an average of 164W, which exceeds the company's target TDP. And it gets worse. The load distribution works out in a way that has the card draw 86W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot. Not only does this exceed the 75W ceiling we typically associate with a 16-lane slot, but that 75W limit covers several rails combined and not just this one interface.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

Well, that was pretty poor, I was hoping it would at least come between the 390 and the 390x, oh well...

I almost picked up a 390 for £199 from Overclockers this morning but decided not to, looks like that was a bad decision. I made the same mistake when the 290X's were heavily discounted the day before the 390X reviews went live :oops:

Last edited:
Power consumption and performance fail, it's sad really, how did that happen?
The power distribution with consumption is more than any of us expected IMO and maybe a consideration with budget cheap boards, also I guess we need to wait and see how much further this is compounded by custom OC AIBs, including from a thermal and voltage to clocking performance perspective.
TPU who also measure the rails show it exceeding generally 150W and up to 167W for gaming (distribution is also important but not covered in TPU reviews).
That aside still a solid card for consumers to consider for its price IMO, at least until we get to see performance data and prices for the 1060 that may be competitive or not
Cheers

Last edited:
Wow that was disappointing. How did they miss the mark this much? The density is low, the power consumption is high and the performance is pretty mediocre compared to Hawaii.

Maybe glofo 14nm is just that bad..

Well, that was pretty poor, I was hoping it would at least come between the 390 and the 390x, oh well...

I almost picked up a 390X for £199 from Overclockers this morning but decided not to, looks like that was a bad decision. I made the same mistake when the 290X's were heavily discounted the day before the 390X reviews went live :oops:

Will look at more reviews, but it seems it depends on the application and resolution, settings. Judging from the following review:
https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2016/06/amd-radeon-rx-480-review/5/

At 1080p it seems for several apps the performance is reasonable.

It gets within 2-5fps from a 390x, in some cases it matches it, and in some it's even above the fury. In some games it is also within 25% of a gtx1080
e.g. at 1080p:
Tomb Raider Ultimate 92fps for 480 vs 96fps for 390x,
Witcher 3 Ultra 50.4fps for 480 vs 49.6fps for 390x
Far Cry 4 Ultra 84fps for 480 vs 103fps for gtx 1080(about 25% difference, for 300-400% price difference, at 1080p seems like the better buy at least for some apps.)

The price : performance ratio just doesn't look that good compared to the previous generation for a node change. I remember when the 7870 came out it was up there and beating the GTX580. The 7870 cost a bit more at £260 (vs £220 for the RX480), but it was a whole performance tier above.

EDIT: I guess the strength of the £ against the $ then and now has some bearing on the comparison.

The price : performance ratio just doesn't look that good compared to the previous generation for a node change. I remember when the 7870 came out it was up there and beating the GTX580. The 7870 cost a bit more at £260 (vs £220 for the RX480), but it was a whole performance tier above.

EDIT: I guess the strength of the £ against the $ then and now has some bearing on the comparison.
Yes, 14/16 nm is strange because has been a long time since last node change and people see as a great thing improvements in performance for a same price point, which has always been the rule with new nodes in the past. In fact Polaris looks as one of the worse node transitions in years, it performs similar/worse than the chip with similar number of transistors in the previous node.

I'm wondering what the 470 w/4Gb will turn out like, hopefully better than this. I'm really looking for a 1080p low cost solution for high settings on games for my living room.

Yeah, I must admit that the power consumption is disappointing. Much better vs AMD 2xx/3xx series, kinda comparable to Nvidia 9xx series, but obviously I expected more, especially looking at Pascal power consumption.
But it is still very attractive in terms of performance/price pov. Also looking at the architecture improvement, it does have more potential for future proofing.

Is like AMD at last reached Maxwell power efficiency. The problem is it was at 28nm and Nvidia improved it a 60% with Pascal at 16nm.

Well, that wasn't quite what we expected. The RX 480 doesn't draw much more power at idle than the competition, but it's worth noting that Polaris aside, all of the cards we're testing are using GPUs fabricated on a 28-nm process. Polaris 10 doesn't seem to benefit much from the move to 14-nm fabrication as far as idle power draw is concerned.
All that said, our gut impression upon seeing these numbers is that Pascal is frighteningly efficient, more so than the GTX 1080 taken in isolation might have suggested. Our completely wild hunch is that Nvidia has tons of headroom to play with in designing a Pascal GPU to target this price class, if it wants to.
http://techreport.com/review/30328/amd-radeon-rx-480-graphics-card-reviewed/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back