AMD Radeon Crimson Driver

Going to the Crimson area on AMD.com it states support for older Radeons as well.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+7+-+64

This lists Radeon 7000 series and has the link to download the Crimson Beta. I tried downloading and installing this on my wife's W7-64 7870 PC and all it installs for her is the HDMI Audio, the AMD Installer and the Raptr application which doesn't support the 7000 series for automatic downloads.

I'm trying to find out where is the overdrive setting. I believe it should be in the game setting, either global or per game, but I didn't see the option.

This lists Radeon 7000 series and has the link to download the Crimson Beta. I tried downloading and installing this on my wife's W7-64 7870 PC and all it installs for her is the HDMI Audio, the AMD Installer and the Raptr application which doesn't support the 7000 series for automatic downloads.
The legacy one is only for HD 5xxx, HD 6xxx and "pre-GCN" HD 7000–7600/HD 8000–8400.

It seems all GCN cards are still supported and should use the regular driver.

I'm trying to find out where is the overdrive setting.
For me; Games -> Global settings -> Global overdrive

I assume, if I make profiles for specific games I can get per-game overdrive settings as well, but I usually don't faff with stuff like that.

Unfortunately, even Crimson driver has not fixed the issue with GPU compute ignoring the overdrive setting, and instead running the GPU at full clock for massive heat output.

Be sure to use the right driver.. working fine on mine 7970's ( and installed over the top of the older driver )

It load the driver blazing fast.

For add specific games profiles Games tab > click on the icon on the up right .

(sorry for quality, photobucket seems to blur, reduce the quality. )

Last edited:
Obviously they haven't activate it for Kaveri. In Catalyst, I can use overdrive to OC the CPU and also set the CPU clock. I used to set the CPU clock lower so that the temp can be much lower, thus less fan noise and manually set the speed to the max for gaming. For setting the max CPU speed, you can actually set it in Windows power options, but it can't OC.

For anyone pissed at "wrong" language (for example it installed in Finnish for me despite my OS being in English):
Kill Cnext.exe from Task Manager
Go to C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Localisation
Delete appropriate language folder (in my case, fi_FI)
Run Cnext.exe again

edit:
Where the #%& are my video settings?!
The "Custom" offers only "Custom sharpness" and "Custom colour vibrance" with Off/Low/Medium/High options, AMD Steady Video on/off and Custom brightness slider.
WHERE THE #%& ARE ALL THE CONTROLS I HAD IN CCC?

edit2:
Also, not directly related to these as I had the same issue with Catalysts, but if anyone have any ideas..
I'm using XFX R9 280X DD-something, it's default clocks are 1050/1600 MHz.
When I turn my computer on, Afterburner says my VGPU is 950mV and clocks 500/1500 MHz (2 displays, TV and monitor), and jumps to 1150mV when the GPU clocks jump to 850 MHz occasionally while browsing (usually some video or such content which makes it jump)
When I'm gaming, my VGPU is set to 1150mV, default was 1163mV (haven't actually checked yet if it actually uses that, the same issues were present with default voltage too)
When I exit the game, my VGPU is stuck at 1250mV, but clocks drop to 500/1500 MHz. If I browse, and something causes the GPU clocks to jump to 850 MHz, the VGPU instantly drops to 950mV and my DVI display goes all garbled, picture is fine on my TV though. If I close the browser, the picture usually returns to normal and VGPU jumps back to 1250mV, but not always, forcing me to reboot.

Any ideas wth is wrong with this thing?
This problem has persisted clean installation of Windows 10, several different Catalyst drivers (on old, only 15.10 betas on new installation), clean installation of Radeon Software to replace the Catalysts.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, even Crimson driver has not fixed the issue with GPU compute ignoring the overdrive setting, and instead running the GPU at full clock for massive heat output.
Sapphire TRIXX clock/voltage settings have always worked for me for compute.

WHERE THE #%& ARE ALL THE CONTROLS I HAD IN CCC?
The Crimson settings thingy - like Microsoft's new control panel app - is just a bare-bones shell at the moment. The old CCC is still there, you can open it up by clicking the "more options" or whatever button that appears in the bar above the settings.

Anyway, the Crimson settings thingy sure loads real fast - on my ancient SSD there's not even a perceptible delay on first invocation between clicking the mouse button to start it and the window popping up - but it's not very easy to use. It presents settings and information in a rather jumbled way.

I hope they straighten out the layout, because the current one is pretty crap really. :p Not that the CCC was any kind of good example really, but better than this, for sure. :)

The Crimson settings thingy - like Microsoft's new control panel app - is just a bare-bones shell at the moment. The old CCC is still there, you can open it up by clicking the "more options" or whatever button that appears in the bar above the settings.

Anyway, the Crimson settings thingy sure loads real fast - on my ancient SSD there's not even a perceptible delay on first invocation between clicking the mouse button to start it and the window popping up - but it's not very easy to use. It presents settings and information in a rather jumbled way.

I hope they straighten out the layout, because the current one is pretty crap really. :p Not that the CCC was any kind of good example really, but better than this, for sure. :)

Yes exactly... it will open the video setting and for example the virtual resolution..I can imagine not every setting have been passed right now to the new shell.

Well i dont have much problem with this interface, have find everything the firstt time i have open it

2YW4eyS.jpg

Last edited:

The "More" button only changes "Select a video profile to enhance your viewing experience..." to lot longer text, it doesn't open CCC or give more settings.
"Additional Settings" which is available only in Display-tab opens CCC, but that CCC only has display/eyefinity related settings, not video settings.

Also, not directly related to these as I had the same issue with Catalysts, but if anyone have any ideas..
I'm using XFX R9 280X DD-something, it's default clocks are 1050/1600 MHz.
When I turn my computer on, Afterburner says my VGPU is 950mV and clocks 500/1500 MHz (2 displays, TV and monitor), and jumps to 1150mV when the GPU clocks jump to 850 MHz occasionally while browsing (usually some video or such content which makes it jump)
When I'm gaming, my VGPU is set to 1150mV, default was 1163mV (haven't actually checked yet if it actually uses that, the same issues were present with default voltage too)
When I exit the game, my VGPU is stuck at 1250mV, but clocks drop to 500/1500 MHz. If I browse, and something causes the GPU clocks to jump to 850 MHz, the VGPU instantly drops to 950mV and my DVI display goes all garbled, picture is fine on my TV though. If I close the browser, the picture usually returns to normal and VGPU jumps back to 1250mV, but not always, forcing me to reboot.

Any ideas wth is wrong with this thing?
This problem has persisted clean installation of Windows 10, several different Catalyst drivers (on old, only 15.10 betas on new installation), clean installation of Radeon Software to replace the Catalysts.
To add to this:
I just closed all my browser etc windows, and the memory clock jumped to 1600 MHz and voltage to 1225mV, even though I haven't launched any games. Now I know, that if my GPU clocks would jump to 850MHz for some video or something, which would cause the voltage to drop, it would garble the screen.

The "More" button only changes "Select a video profile to enhance your viewing experience..." to lot longer text, it doesn't open CCC or give more settings.
Ah, alright! I was just fiddling with the thing and saw the CCC opening up and assumed all the old stuff was still in there.

So there's stuff missing. I'm assuming there will be a transitioning time while the settings migrate to the new GUI. What do these options give you anyway? Are they really needed? In the past, I've had these settings screw up video quality more than improve it... :runaway:

The legacy one is only for HD 5xxx, HD 6xxx and "pre-GCN" HD 7000–7600/HD 8000–8400.

It seems all GCN cards are still supported and should use the regular driver.
Yeah I notice that now, silly mistake on my behalf.

I can now play Tanks and I'm going to have to blame the driver from a few weeks ago (or a corrupt install?) for the gaming grief I've had this past week (PC hangs: hard reset required).

If you want to calibrate red, green and blue channels manually you have to use the Catalyst style settings.

When the Crimson app is active, dragging it around is ridiculously laggy. The type rendering is a fucking mess, with heavily aliased "REDESIGNED.REDEFINED.SUPERCHARGED" and nasty soft, too-bold, smeary and aliased (all at the same time!) rendering of the tooltip text. The type is actually too small (and seemingly softened by resizing) in the descriptions that show after pressing "more...".

I suspect that the Crimson app is rendering as a 3D surface that's composited back onto the desktop. Dunno, but it looks like it's trying too hard and is very rough.

Ah, alright! I was just fiddling with the thing and saw the CCC opening up and assumed all the old stuff was still in there.

So there's stuff missing. I'm assuming there will be a transitioning time while the settings migrate to the new GUI. What do these options give you anyway? Are they really needed? In the past, I've had these settings screw up video quality more than improve it... :runaway:
Depends on video, works some wonders on lower quality old videos, not so on HD stuff

Will the DP to HDMI 2 support the full spec as in 4K@60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling instead of 4:2:0?

nasty soft, too-bold, smeary and aliased (all at the same time!) rendering of the tooltip text.
I don't get the laggy when moving the app around but the tooltip is oddly blurry bold.

Are you playing World of Tanks or some other Tanks?

Edit: For the Framerate Target Control, what is generally best to set?
Like 60fps for a 60Hz monitor?
Or a bit more/less?
Default seems to be 55.

Edit2: Is there any description of what the 'shader cache' is?
I'm assuming it stores runtime compiled shaders on hard drive so that it can skip for subsequent runs?
If I recall NV has been doing that for ages?

Last edited:
I can now play Tanks and I'm going to have to blame the driver from a few weeks ago (or a corrupt install?) for the gaming grief I've had this past week (PC hangs: hard reset required).

If you want to calibrate red, green and blue channels manually you have to use the Catalyst style settings.

When the Crimson app is active, dragging it around is ridiculously laggy. The type rendering is a fucking mess, with heavily aliased "REDESIGNED.REDEFINED.SUPERCHARGED" and nasty soft, too-bold, smeary and aliased (all at the same time!) rendering of the tooltip text. The type is actually too small (and seemingly softened by resizing) in the descriptions that show after pressing "more...".

I suspect that the Crimson app is rendering as a 3D surface that's composited back onto the desktop. Dunno, but it looks like it's trying too hard and is very rough.

No lag here, afterburner is showing it as a D3D11 app, the tooltips even show there own framerate.

Back