AMD Phenom

Americans actually pronounce it as "fee-nom"? :???: :|

Either way I think it sounds silly because the last part of the word just "needs" to be said to make it sound "complete".

Americans actually pronounce it as "fee-nom"? :???: :|

Either way I think it sounds silly because the last part of the word just "needs" to be said to make it sound "complete".

Yeah, I'm californian, and we'd pronounce it as "fee-nom." You British and your proper diction.

Like, fer-sure and some junk.

I'd like Venom better.

and, why is K8L now called K10? I thought K10 would be the real next-gen. (thought what's coming soon is a nice enough improvement in K8L)

....to replace Athlon as their flagship line. It's not very catchy IMO but they pay marketing types millions of dollars to come up with this stuff so what do I know :)

Cor blimey strike a light Mary Poppins that's crap. I mean IT-related brand names are rarely catchy, but AMD just seem to employ completely the wrong PR agency. Athlon sounds like a powder you put in you jock-strap to prevent athletes crotch. Sempr0n speaks for itself. Turion, what the hell is that. Phenom sounds like a half-baked phenomenon that hasn't quite made it all the way to being phenomenal.

Yeah, I'm californian, and we'd pronounce it as "fee-nom." You British and your proper diction.

Like, fer-sure and some junk.

fer-sure is Irish. They don't like being called British. It's been known for them to resort to violence to be not British. While I'm at it, there is no British accent. But, like, whatevah.

So good it'll make you drooool

venomjw4.jpg

drooling1oi6.gif

Kind of a "meh" name change.

If only the name change came with as large an architecture change as when AMD shifted to Athlon.

we'll get used to it like sempron or core 2 duo (which sounded silly. bi dual 2 twin duo cores!).
and it replaces the Athlon FX brand, which most of us can ignore (even on this right-wing, rich forum :p )

It's a great name if its a kick-ass part. Like naming a girl "Candy" --she better not be a mutt. You're really setting yourself up to get kicked hard if it doesn't live up to that kind of name.

Am I the only who sits here and thinks "A Rose by any other name will smell just as sweet" ? I dont understand the whole marketing and dwelling somethings name. If a product is good. Reviews and marketing will sell it. The only time I disagree with this is under the circumstances the product were called "AMD Dual ChrisRay". Thats a surefire way to make millions. Wasnt it Geo that said my name was like a patent?!

;)

Note: I do hope that I am kidding is clearly obvious...

It's a great name if its a kick-ass part. Like naming a girl "Candy" --she better not be a mutt. You're really setting yourself up to get kicked hard if it doesn't live up to that kind of name.

My dog's name is Candy :oops:

I remember K9 as a new architecture that was cancelled. wikipedia says that on it :

K9 appears originally to have been an ambitious 8 issue per clock cycle core redesign of the K7 or the K8 processor core.

At one point, K9 was the Greyhound project at AMD, and was worked on by the K7 design team beginning in early 2001, with tape-out revision A0 scheduled for 2003. The L1 instruction cache was said to hold decoded instructions, essentially the same as Intel's trace cache.

It has recently been revealed that K9 was the offical internal codename for the dual-core AMD64 processors as the brand Athlon 64 X2 [1][2].

As of 2006, development at AMD has focused on the currently unreleased K10.

well maybe we should stop thinking about K-number, it looks like it just means "the next thing" and is a moving target, a bit confusing, at least R400 was still R400 even when cancelled. CPU should have codenames ressembling those of GPU, I don't like much the moving K's or Intel Canterwoodfield, Penrosescott, Myrnwoodlake etc. :oops: .

and, why is K8L now called K10? I thought K10 would be the real next-gen. (thought what's coming soon is a nice enough improvement in K8L)
AFAIK, K8L was created from our beloved theinq, while it always was K10? Also some explanations that K8L was for K8 Low power ?

ANd there was a story that K9 was too "wide" and low-clocked (like itanium), when "megahurtz sells" was alive and kicking... and also k9 sounded like something nazi-connected

As for name - I wanna bet for half the money I could suggest much better name than fenom... AMD keep shooting in their legs

All the fuss and fight to establish Athlon as a brand name and now throw it away ?!

Back