AMD Live!

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://ir.ati.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105421&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=800111&highlight=

Having read this, I found no actual content. Somebody help a brother out as to wtf is actually going on here?

"AMD is taking the flexibility and freedom of the PC to enhance the consumer electronics experience and ATI will help us make AMD LIVE! a reality later this year," said Iain Morris, senior vice president, Digital Consumer Media and Pervasive Computing, AMD. "Whether interacting with TV, downloading music or viewing photos, AMD LIVE! will enhance the power and flexibility of full-featured multimedia desktop and notebook PCs to help deliver personalized entertainment experiences on all the screens in people's lives. Consumers will benefit from the combination of AMD64 technology, powered by ATI's great graphics, multimedia and software solutions."

Are we expecting a similiar announcement from NV shortly?

Edit: Hmm, might have been better in HTPC.

EditII: What I'm really after is, is there any actual new technology involved here? Or is this just a marketing effort?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno, but prolly just some 64-bit optimized software with a few shiny gimmicks on top I guess.

NVIDIA expects that the NVIDIA® GeForce® FX, NVIDIA GeForce 6-Series and NVIDIA GeForce 7-Series desktop and notebook graphics processing units (GPUs) as well as the Company's NVIDIA nForce®4 core-logic solutions, will be complementary with AMD LIVE! This includes hardware and software for both 32-bit and 64-bit computing environments and industry-leading technologies such as NVIDIA SLI(TM) multi-GPU capability and NVIDIA Pure Video(TM).

“AMD is taking the flexibility and freedom of the PC to enhance the consumer electronics experience and ATI will help us make AMD LIVE! a reality later this year,â€￾ said Iain Morris, senior vice president, Digital Consumer Media and Pervasive Computing, AMD. “Whether interacting with TV, downloading music or viewing photos, AMD LIVE! will enhance the power and flexibility of full-featured multimedia desktop and notebook PCs to help deliver personalized entertainment experiences on all the screens in people’s lives. Consumers will benefit from the combination of AMD64 technology, powered by ATI’s great graphics, multimedia and software solutions.â€￾

Jawed

Vista driver status, maybe? I assume you're pointing at the fact that the language in the NV one is a little more, errr, "forward looking" than the ATI one.

Edit: Or maybe h.264

I read it (sigh, perhaps this is just being wilfully naive) that AMD has chosen ATI as its branding partner, while NVidia will, presumably, at some point be allowed to brand some of its products as part of Live! or as suitable add-ins for Live! systems.

Jawed

Well, you could be right. Hopeless geek that I am, I keep trying to pour some actual technological content into what may be 100% marketing.

I haven't paid much attention to Viiv yet, I must admit (and only skimmed the article Wavey linked from the front page, tho I should read that at more depth since he almost certainly didn't slap it up here for grins n' giggles).

Tho "Intel will require PC's to use Intel. . .core-logic chipsets" just caught my eye in the TR piece, re Viiv.

geo said:
Tho "Intel will require PC's to use Intel. . .core-logic chipsets" just caught my eye in the TR piece, re Viiv.

Not nearly as bad as Vista requiring new HDD, monitor etc...

Back