AMD K8L in 2008?

This puts it in the same time frame as Intel Core 2's sucessor architecture, "Nehalem".

"Nehalem" vs "K8L".
I wonder who will win this time around ?

Unless there is something else that AMD has up their sleeve, it seems they are going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place until '08. And if Intel improves their Conroe by '08 then it might not even be possible for AMD to regain the performance crown with the K8L.

I really have to wonder... what has AMD been doing for the last couple years? That's a long wait.

I was hoping I'd be able to upgrade my A64 to a K8L sometime next year -- it might end up being a Conroe if I have to wait til '08 (first time I'll have used an Intel CPU since my P3 550).

INKster said:
This puts it in the same time frame as Intel Core 2's sucessor architecture, "Nehalem".

"Nehalem" vs "K8L".
I wonder who will win this time around ?
The Nehalem was supposed to be the successor to the Tejas, which was supposed to be the successor to the Prescott before they were all canned in favor of the new Core architecture. Intel plans on having another chip based on the Conroe by 2008 with an on die memory controller.

ANova said:
The Nehalem was supposed to be the successor to the Tejas, which was supposed to be the successor to the Prescott before they were all canned in favor of the new Core architecture.

Nehalem hasn't been canned and is the successor to Conroe's microarchitecture. Intel recently made mentioned of this in their long-term roadmap. DailyTech has a good summary of it.

They reused the codename, as the article you linked to states. Intel had planned a 10GHz Nehalem after the Tejas two years ago already and before Core was ever announced; it's being redesigned but will be based on the old architecture and called the Nehalem-C.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article is not stating a codename re-use but let me clarify: Internally at Intel, Nehalem was never canned, unlike what you said above, but it did changed from being a Netburst-based micro-architecture designed for 10GHz+ to a micro-architecture being closer to Core.

it's being redesigned but will be based on the old architecture and called the Nehalem-C.
I'm not sure that I'm following here. What old architecture? Nehalem-C is 'just' the 32-nm die shrink of Nehalem.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nehalem codename did get reassigned from the Netburst architecture to a reputedly new design which may have some features in common with NGMA but is a ground-up redesign rather than the NMGA stop-gap.

Most rumours suggest it is a CMP CMT design probably supporting a whole bunch of skip-ahead, value speculation, scout type dynamic MT tricks.

I expect arguments as to what constitutes a core to be a heated topic in 2008.

I also expect it to provide the answer as to why Apple chose Intel and rejected Cell. Quite a few people have hinted that Nehalem is the one to watch even though Core will do very nicely in the mean time.

ZioniX said:
I'm not sure that I'm following here. What old architecture? Nehalem-C is 'just' the 32-nm die shrink of Nehalem.
The original Nehelam (old architecture) was supposed to be a chip based on netburst and able to operate around 10GHz. Intel canned the Tejas as well as most of the original Nehalem with it and are now redesigning it like you mentioned. That's all I'm saying. It is a re-use of the codename and is most certainly not the same architecture it was originally meant to be.

Back