AMD and NVIDIA make perfect scores in HD HQV

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
A perfect 0, that is. Ouch!

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2923&p=1

This is one of those times summing up is easy: both AMD and NVIDIA fail utterly at every test HD HQV throws at them. Advanced deinterlacing algorithms used on standard definition video are just not present when working with HD video. We are lacking inverse telecine and noise reduction as well. Watching interlaced HD content on a progressive scan monitor using a computer is not going to deliver an optimal experience until AMD and NVIDIA get with the program and start extending their image quality improving algorithms to HD interlaced content.

On a more cheerful note, this is in part the purpose of a quality benchmark like this --to give the vendors something to shoot at. I think it's pretty likely that just like the SD version of HQV, that we will see rapid vendor improvements over the next year.

And this coming out just before R600 .. hmm /me wonders what the R600 has to offer. ;)

US

What makes you say R600 would be better than existing GPU's from ATI/AMD and Nvidia ?
Even if it has better hardware, the faults in this tests point to driver problems, anyway.
From my understanding, this looks primarily like an issue that can be corrected with software improvements, but i could be wrong. ;)

Bearing in mind the relatively recent release of HD-DVD/BluRay, it's not too surprising that NV/ATI have rather immature drivers as regards HD media. Especially when you consider the cost of HD-DVD/BluRay drives for PCs at present!

From the Anandtech blurb it sounds as though the HD HQV test suite has only just been released so hopefully we can expect to see developments in the Avivo/PureVideo software soon now there is a test which shows up their weaknesses!

From the Anandtech blurb it sounds as though the HD HQV test suite has only just been released so hopefully we can expect to see developments in the Avivo/PureVideo software soon now there is a test which shows up their weaknesses!

I would certainly hope so. It clearly worked that way with the original SD HQV test. I do wonder how far we might be from the first HQV "scandal" at times. I've never heard what they've done to make sure no one is gaming the tests (i.e. app-detecting and forcing better results than one would get in real life usage), or even if they would have any way to detect such scenarios.

So since I watch hdtv on my htpc then this theoretically applies to me. I have an ati card in it btw but my TV is the weak link so it doesnt matter I guess. Though hdtv does look better than sdtv anyway.

two remarks : silicon optix makes scalers, video processing chips etc., can we trust their benchmark to judge ATI and NV? :p

what about ffdshow? it seems to be able to do any deblocking, de-interlacing, noise reduction, scaling, sharpen/smooth etc. you can imagine, and the CPU cost is not much. It should be benched as well.

AMD and NVIDIA make perfect scores in HD HQV
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Great title Geo, seriously great. :LOL:

Back