amBX - interactive ambient lighting system

From what I've seen from youtube videos, this seems like the most useless technology ever made.

To be fair, it's hard to appreciate what the technology does (especially the lights) from a video. It really is an experience and it's not to be snuffed at. Ask the people who have a kit on the ambx.com/forum. There's photos of people with more than one kit (up to 5)!! I've only got one and I can't do anything on my PC without having it on...Far Cry 2 is a great game with ambx too. I mean, there's so much driving in that game, but with the ambx kit, you get a different experience with rumbles in the wrist rumbler for different vehicles and when you're in the jeep you get wind effects from the fans. Plus there's realistic wind effects with the advanced weather cycles of FC2 meaning that when your standing in the jungle and there's wind coming from the left side (west) the left fan blows gently. Its awesome. Try it and if you don't like it, return it. I waited for the price to reduce on play.com.

The way that amBX is scripted (locational model) means that if you have a device in that location (i.e. a fan behind you) then yes you'll feel the breeze so it gives you a surround ambience feeling. The more devices you add the richer the experience and the code scripting only has to be done once. On the ambx forum there's one guy who has 5 amBX kits setup with some behind him so yes he'd feel that which you describe. Here's his photo:http://sprachbot.de/mein_amBX/a1.jpg

So its fans, mood lighting and a rumble wrist strap ?

sounds a bit gimmicky but then again the best money ive ever spent on pc equipment
has been on force feedback peripherals so who knows
dont like the idea that you need five of them for the proper effect though

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahahaha

to be fair, you're right.

But i didn't say go out and spend some money on it, just give it a go :) you don't like it fair enough.

Back