Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

Source? Couldn't find anything but Amazon (UK) best sellers has PS5 Digital outselling PS5 Analogue.
The splits were given sometime recently... I can't find where. I only found data for Japan for now.

PS5: 19k
Ps5D:3k

In November in the us, 99% of the stock was analogue.

https://x.com/MatPiscatella/status/1735333788539085184

In February, a little over a third of the consoles were digital.

https://x.com/MatPiscatella/status/1770807440226881728

In Europe, couldn't find numbers, but before the slim you were lucky to find some digitals.

Last edited:
In November in the us, 99% of the stock was analogue.

https://x.com/MatPiscatella/status/1735333788539085184
That says what sold and Digital didn't exist to sell. That could readily mean digital sold out because that's what people want, and others only bought analogue because their preferred digital option wasn't available.
https://x.com/MatPiscatella/status/1770807440226881728

In Europe, couldn't find numbers, but before the slim you were lucky to find some digitals.
Likewise, both statements seem to support the sales being determined by stock availability. Seems like Sony supplied more analogues, or the digitals just sold out leaving behind the analogue stock. We'll only know what people prefer when they have free choice, both digital and analogue being in freely in stock.

Amazon US has analogue selling above digital, but there's only $44 difference. The markup is far higher in UK and EU, £90 and €100. In Japan the digital/analogue delta is similar to US. So clearly using pricing, Sony can affect purchasing choice. An extra $50 more on RRP on the analogue and people will more readily give up on the physical media, it seems.

That says what sold and Digital didn't exist to sell. That could readily mean digital sold out because that's what people want, and others only bought analogue because their preferred digital option wasn't available.

Likewise, both statements seem to support the sales being determined by stock availability. Seems like Sony supplied more analogues, or the digitals just sold out leaving behind the analogue stock. We'll only know what people prefer when they have free choice, both digital and analogue being in freely in stock.

Amazon US has analogue selling above digital, but there's only $44 difference. The markup is far higher in UK and EU, £90 and €100. In Japan the digital/analogue delta is similar to US. So clearly using pricing, Sony can affect purchasing choice. An extra $50 more on RRP on the analogue and people will more readily give up on the physical media, it seems.
I can understand that maybe November didn't have any digital stock, but I. February consoles were easily available, and the split was 1 every 3 consoles were digital. The production before the digital was 80-20 in favor of the digital:

So we can guess that lifetime sales are around 70% disk and 30% digital.

That a lower price for the digital is used by Sony to attract customers to the digital one is unquestionable.
If we start to see the digital consoles selling out while the analogue ones remain on the shelves, then we will be seeing a crisis for the format on playstation.

If next gen Sony starts selling the PS6 without bundles that have the disc drive add on, relegating it to an accessory, then that would be an artificial way to change customer behavior, and physical will plummet.

But I don't think that Sony is stupid enough to risk losing all the shelf space to Nintendo.

Last edited:
I can understand that maybe November didn't have any digital stock, but I. February consoles were easily available, and the split was 1 every 3 consoles were digital.
Is that split of sales or split of stock? And, again, source. ;)

The production before the digital was 80-20 in favor of the digital:

That tweet says the opposite, 80:20 in favour of analogue.

"While PlayStation 5 production has a very solid 80:20 ratio between disc and digital on a global basis"

Sony weren't supplying many digital units at all, forcing consumers into buying the analogue and ensuring analogue made up the majority of sales. Conversely, half XB sales were S which is all digital, so lack of the physical option there wasn't observably harmful to sales.

So we can guess that lifetime sales are around 70% disk and 30% digital.
For all PS5? The thing to look for is the how PS5 Slim sells. In only making one hardware device, Sony have streamlined their capacity to balance and will presumably adapt production accordingly, whereas previously they had to commit to drive or not. If consumers prefer physical, they'll either choose the physical bundle or buy the physical peripheral. Sony will start adjusting supply of digital and analogue SKUs to accommodate consumer preference. We'd then see people buying digital and then the separate drive. If digital sales are high and optional drive sales low, that'll show a disinterest in physical games.

Current install base isn't that telling because it was heavily influenced by what Sony provided.

"While PlayStation 5 production has a very solid 80:20 ratio between disc and digital on a global basis"

Sony weren't supplying many digital units at all, forcing consumers into buying the analogue and ensuring analogue made up the majority of sales. Conversely, half XB sales were S which is all digital, so lack of the physical option there wasn't observably harmful to sales.

For all PS5? The thing to look for is the how PS5 Slim sells. In only making one hardware device, Sony have streamlined their capacity to balance and will presumably adapt production accordingly, whereas previously they had to commit to drive or not. If consumers prefer physical, they'll either choose the physical bundle or buy the physical peripheral. Sony will start adjusting supply of digital and analogue SKUs to accommodate consumer preference. We'd then see people buying digital and then the separate drive. If digital sales are high and optional drive sales low, that'll show a disinterest in physical games.

Current install base isn't that telling because it was heavily influenced by what Sony provided.
The 80/20 thing was a typo, meant to write the opposite, like the tweet says.

The February numbers, of course they are sales, they report on sales numbers.

My source is... Mat Piscatella? Do I need to post a documentary on why Mat Piscatella, Chris Dring and zhuge are official sources with access to real numbers like last time? Please let's not do that again.

My source is... Mat Piscatella? Do I need to post a documentary
No, you just need to link to the source to corroborate your position. Why? That should be pretty evident from you writing that the split was 80:20 in favour of digital and me going to your source and seeing that's not the case.

Maybe Matt Piscatella said exactly what you have shared? Maybe you misremember? Maybe you misinterpreted, or there were caveats? With the source, we can see for ourselves. You shouldn't expect anyone to take your word as gospel and should always supply sources or just state it's from memory etc. But if you want to prove a point, you need evidence.

The price difference between S and X is far larger than PS5D to PS5.

S was also far more available than X in stores. These variables aren't giving a clear picture of digital vs disk preference. Form factor, availability and affordability may have been stronger purchasing decisions.

Realtime upscaling seems implausible to me. You'd presumably need truckloads of silicon to pull it off well, and you'd be burning that silicon upscaling the same textures time and again versus just fetching the texture. However, you could generate ML derived assets at installation time to keep downloads small, or maybe JIT upscale to precache an upscaled texture. It definitely wouldn't play well with streamed assets though which is where we should be headed.
This will work roughly like image enhancement AI tools available today. A lower resolution texture will be enough, so the basic game can fit in a smaller space. From which the AI algorithm creates a much better quality. Of course, these textures need to be controlled so that they really look good, but that won't be a problem.

This will require a high-performance NPU, much faster than the 45 TOPS delivered to PCs today.

No, you just need to link to the source to corroborate your position. Why? That should be pretty evident from you writing that the split was 80:20 in favour of digital and me going to your source and seeing that's not the case.

Maybe Matt Piscatella said exactly what you have shared? Maybe you misremember? Maybe you misinterpreted, or there were caveats? With the source, we can see for ourselves. You shouldn't expect anyone to take your word as gospel and should always supply sources or just state it's from memory etc. But if you want to prove a point, you need evidence.
I have provided my sources? They are right there in the two tweets? I also say exactly what they say? Literally everything that I'm bringing to the discussion here is accompanied by sources that literally say what I'm saying.

"Is that split of sales or split of stock?". Is that what you want a source for?
Or do you want a source for the free availability of consoles in February?

For the first, I'm not going to provide proof that when circana and mat Piscatella are talking about unit share they are talking about consoles sold. No.

For the other, he talks about it in a follow up: "Not sure... but yeah it only started to become more widely available starting in December."
Talking about availability of the digital edition. So, if in December it started to become widely available, in February it was widely available as well.

https://x.com/MatPiscatella/status/1770808746953846850

S was also far more available than X in stores. These variables aren't giving a clear picture of digital vs disk preference. Form factor, availability and affordability may have been stronger purchasing decisions.
Yes, there's lots of muddled factors. We can only state that physical isn't overridingly important to a lot of XB gamers to the point they'd buy the more expensive, larger X to ensure they had access to discs.

Yeah, I just overlooked that one (notably because Twitter links are now just X.com rather than embeds and don't show what's said). You only needed to reply

"It was in my previous tweet https://x.com/MatPiscatella/status/1735333788539085184."
-provides sources
-gets told that I should provide sources with emoji 😉
-emoji mins wuar
-doubts that I misremembered, misinterpreted and that people shouldn't take my words as gospel.

You can see why I wrote a bit of a spicier response, and I'm glad that it was a misunderstanding.

A P.C perspective
Beginning of 2020 I decided to build a new p.c. I started off with the opinion I need a case with a 5.25" bay for a dvd rom drive but it was nearly impossible to find decent cases with 5.25" bays and most of them were either cheap ass old design bargain basement cases or huge full tower cases. In the end I decided to get a case without a 5.25" bay and just use an external usb dvd r/w drive if I needed to access a cd/dvd.

I think we should keep in mind here that consumer preference isn't really the issue. Consumer preference only strictly matters if there are near interchangeable substitute products. This is the case now when otherwise identical products are offered in digital and physical but won't be the case when it's digital only. Just because someone prefers physical media doesn't inherently mean they will just abandon gaming all together if the consoles go digital only.

I think we should keep in mind here that consumer preference isn't really the issue. Consumer preference only strictly matters if there are near interchangeable substitute products. This is the case now when otherwise identical products are offered in digital and physical but won't be the case when it's digital only. Just because someone prefers physical media doesn't inherently mean they will just abandon gaming all together if the consoles go digital only.
Agree, people wouldn't abandon gaming because of it. But people that don't want to spend too much on games would be even more selective on their purchases, leading to even more stagnation in the market. Another big problem would be convincing your various Euronics, Mediaworld, target, Walmarts to not abandon selling consoles in store with no physical games to improve margins. That's already happening in Europe with Xbox, and we can all agree that's not helping the situation.
Consoles are toys, and losing physical games would restrict their reach for a lot of the audience.

I wish that there was a physical media design manufacturer which all video game publishers could use, which could make the users desired physical media on demand. The publishers would send the official artworks for the box/case, manual, and disc/USB drive.. and they would create it just for you on demand. How sick would that be? Or being able to just order and create professional quality copies of any game by uploading the artwork and designing the package you want on their website.

If that was the case, I'd still champion physical media... but as it is now, it's so lame it's not worth supporting. Flimsy plastic case, plus a slip of paper with some website to look at an online manual.. in black and white... and that's if you're lucky. We need the return of full beautiful colored artwork, with nice thick instruction manuals in full color with amazing art also giving you inside tips and tricks. Maps for RPGs with detailed info of the game world.. along with some stickers or a poster. THAT was truly awesome.. when companies put a lot of effort into the entire package.. not just the game. I still have my cherished original Final Fantasy 1 NES copy I got for Christmas back in 1990, the year it released. It came with a Nintendo Power strategy guide and world and dungeon maps. It was so awesome to be playing the game and looking up monster stats in the strategy guide and all the awesome artwork.. as well as checking the map and trying to find where to go next and make it there alive! You felt like you were getting a real package of awesome stuff.

Disclaimer: These are not my pictures, but this is the exact set I have.
s-l1200.jpg
s-l400.jpg

(Fun Fact... for my Christmas present my mom knew she was going to get me a game.. but she had no idea which one to get.. back then you really didn't know much about the games until you bought and played them. So my mom went into town and to a game shop, and looked at various games, and she said she thought it looked like something I'd like.. so she just grabbed it, brought it home and wrapped it up. Little did she know just how important this game would end up being to me. Little did she know that it would truly cement my life long love for video games, and little did she know I'd bond with friends, who are still friends of mine to this day, over this game, playing it together and discussing it at school. FF1 played such a massive part in my gaming history. I'm so glad I kept it all these years. :love: )

Agree, people wouldn't abandon gaming because of it. But people that don't want to spend too much on games would be even more selective on their purchases, leading to even more stagnation in the market.
Why? Physical games aren't notably cheaper than digital except second hand, and second hand brings no new money into the industry meaning if it'll stagnate without people buying slightly-more-expensive digital games, it'll stagnate with people buying cheaper second-hand games.
Another big problem would be convincing your various Euronics, Mediaworld, target, Walmarts to not abandon selling consoles in store with no physical games to improve margins.
Sell add-ons and get footfall. If you are the only store selling PlayStations in Germany, everyone in Germany wanting a PlayStation will visit your store. You can then sell PSN credit and gift-cards with decent margins and zero shelf-space, and peripherals and upgrades and TVs and sound-bars and headsets. Worst case, provide a reasonable loss-leading profit margin on the console hardware for the retailer - you'll make it back with would-be physical sales going digital with 1) more profit per game unit (~$25 for each $70 unit sale cutting out the retailer) and 2) no second hand game sales (unless EU steps in and changes this!!)

Selling a console is probably better direct business than selling a budget Android tablet which your example stores all sell already.
Consoles are toys, and losing physical games would restrict their reach for a lot of the audience.
No, consoles are electronic computing devices, the same as laptops and mobiles phones and iPads, and these don't have any trouble with reaching audiences of every age. Apple doesn't struggle to get users due to a lack of physical games for iPhones. Why should a console be any different?

Why? Physical games aren't notably cheaper than digital except second hand, and second hand brings no new money into the industry meaning if it'll stagnate without people buying slightly-more-expensive digital games, it'll stagnate with people buying cheaper second-hand games.

Sell add-ons and get footfall. If you are the only store selling PlayStations in Germany, everyone in Germany wanting a PlayStation will visit your store. You can then sell PSN credit and gift-cards with decent margins and zero shelf-space, and peripherals and upgrades and TVs and sound-bars and headsets. Worst case, provide a reasonable loss-leading profit margin on the console hardware for the retailer - you'll make it back with would-be physical sales going digital with 1) more profit per game unit (~$25 for each $70 unit sale cutting out the retailer) and 2) no second hand game sales (unless EU steps in and changes this!!)

Selling a console is probably better direct business than selling a budget Android tablet which your example stores all sell already.

No, consoles are electronic computing devices, the same as laptops and mobiles phones and iPads, and these don't have any trouble with reaching audiences of every age. Apple doesn't struggle to get users due to a lack of physical games for iPhones. Why should a console be any different?
I can't pretend to know how the economics of abandoning physical would look, but I can't see a platform holder being happy that even a single store abandons your product. That's how you become niche.

And of course, after Xbox and playstation abandon physical, Nintendo will be more than happy to become the only console you see when entering a store. Just that is enough for playstation to not risk it. Xbox on the other hand, I don't even know what they are thinking.
Increasing the margin for the retailer would mean even tougher losses for what are already 0 margin products.

Physical games not being noticeably cheaper than digital? I can get 80€ games for 60€ by preordering, and not only do I have a physical item on my hands, I can even resell it to recover most of the money spent. I got ff16 for 60€, got through it (that game is a joke, how does it have 87 on metacritic...) and sold it on eBay a month later. To play it in total I have spent around 10€.
There is no cheaper way to game on any platform, and you can choose what games you get, unlike with a subscription service.

Ps: forgot about the market stagnation: a lot of people would absolutely spend less without those "stratagems" and in the end, even with worse margins, for the platform holder it's better for someone to spend something instead of nothing.

Last edited:
Back