Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

Physical games not being noticeably cheaper than digital? I can get 80€ games for 60€ by preordering, and not only do I have a physical item on my hands,
As I mentioned before, physical isn't cheaper but cheaper earlier. The digital version will drop to 60€ later, then €30 in a sales, etc.
I can even resell it to recover most of the money spent. I got ff16 for 60€, got through it (that game is a joke, how does it have 87 on metacritic...) and sold it on eBay a month later. To play it in total I have spent around 10€.
But that business model is untenable. If everyone did that, there wouldn't be enough money going into the industry to fund game development. Part of the big push for digital is to remove the resale market and ensure everyone who plays a game gives something back to the publisher/developer.
There is no cheaper way to game on any platform, and you can choose what games you get, unlike with a subscription service.

Ps: forgot about the market stagnation: a lot of people would absolutely spend less without those "stratagems" and in the end, even with worse margins, for the platform holder it's better for someone to spend something instead of nothing.
The resale market has been getting smaller and smaller. Brick and mortar stores where people would trade games are disappearing from the high street. Yet the console industry is still growing year on year. People spend more on digital than they ever did on purely physical.

I can't see any real argument here showing the market wants digital and won't change. The evidence is that it's changing. The financials show the console companies make more money from digital. There parallels, PC and mobile, are pure digital with no clear downsides. The real issue here AFAICS is that you personally like physical and reselling and don't want that going away, and you are looking to see that it'll remain around. But I think an objective analysis shows it won't. Unless you can counter my points and explain why consoles will be treated differently to mobile (still stocked in stores) and why the console companies will want to keep low-margin, high hassle physical around, you'll not convince me or most here that physical won't become extremely marginalised if not completely abolished.

Alan Wake 2's sales were not enough as a digital only and they are re-releasing the game also on physical. I believe they partially attribute the lack of sales on the only-digital release.
To me it sounds that there is a huge amount of people who prefer physical for big titles and many of those may convert to digital when the choice is gradually vanishing or other variables come into play that affect purchasing decisions. I am confident that a lot of people who bought PS5 digital was due to the fact that the PS5 Physical was less available since it was sold out. Series S was also available in quantities in shops when Series X and PS5 (any version) were no where to be found.

As I mentioned before, physical isn't cheaper but cheaper earlier. The digital version will drop to 60€ later, then €30 in a sales, etc.

But that business model is untenable. If everyone did that, there wouldn't be enough money going into the industry to fund game development. Part of the big push for digital is to remove the resale market and ensure everyone who plays a game gives something back to the publisher/developer.

The resale market has been getting smaller and smaller. Brick and mortar stores where people would trade games are disappearing from the high street. Yet the console industry is still growing year on year. People spend more on digital than they ever did on purely physical.

I can't see any real argument here showing the market wants digital and won't change. The evidence is that it's changing. The financials show the console companies make more money from digital. There parallels, PC and mobile, are pure digital with no clear downsides. The real issue here AFAICS is that you personally like physical and reselling and don't want that going away, and you are looking to see that it'll remain around. But I think an objective analysis shows it won't. Unless you can counter my points and explain why consoles will be treated differently to mobile (still stocked in stores) and why the console companies will want to keep low-margin, high hassle physical around, you'll not convince me or most here that physical won't become extremely marginalised if not completely abolished.
Physical is cheaper period. Unlike digital where you get full price for months and then momentary incremental price decreases, with physical the various stores are in competition with one another and games are constantly in offer. So yes, having a single store for people to make their purchases is a clear downside, it benefits only the platform holder. Unless the eu steps up and allows for digital purchases to be resold, it's just a loss for the consumer.

You are right, I like physical, even if I do my fair share of digital purchases as well. The reason why it's not going away, is that, at least Sony (Nintendo will not do that period in the next whethever decades, forever is a big word) is afraid of consumer backlash, and will at least keep the option.

The numbers that I have provided (with sources) previously shows us that for games that have a physical release, the percentages still have physical at more than 50% in almost all cases. Even if in the next years that number drops to a catastrophic 15%, the option for people that want it will remain, even if in lower numbers.

I don't believe that one day in the next decades, physical will get dropped or extremely marginalized and that will be it. The people are buying those discs, the majority at that, and a lot of those would demand to be serviced.

Alan Wake 2's sales were not enough as a digital only and they are re-releasing the game also on physical. I believe they partially attribute the lack of sales on the only-digital release.
To me it sounds that there is a huge amount of people who prefer physical for big titles and many of those may convert to digital when the choice is gradually vanishing or other variables come into play that affect purchasing decisions. I am confident that a lot of people who bought PS5 digital was due to the fact that the PS5 Physical was less available since it was sold out. Series S was also available in quantities in shops when Series X and PS5 (any version) were no where to be found.
That's something I forgot to consider, people during COVID were just buying whethever. You found a series x, you bought that. A series s, a PS5, a PS5 digital? Same. Many people bought something because of necessity, not exactly what they wanted.

Do you have any evidence that the business model is untenable like you said? Before there was digital what Charlietus was describing was a common occurrence within gaming circles, people would buy the latest games for $50/60 dollars, then sell them, that person would then get a portion of their money back, with which they would then buy new games. This custom never seemed to hurt the industry in any noticeable way back then, so what has changed? None of the industry was crying about lost profits when the likes of EA, Activision, Sony, MS and Nintendo were rolling in money during the 2000s and 2010s.

Now this option has been taken away and they have also taken away the ability to buy games at a lower price in the form of 2nd hand games, instead offering an inferior "rental" service, like GamePass. Seems to me that the industry has gotten greedy and fat on the extra money that they were making off of the COVID lockdown and are now getting hosed. The 2nd hand games market can't be blamed for "lost profits" and causing the market to "stagnate".

Shifty isn't making a judgement, just saying how the industry (the product side decision makers) see it.

Physical is still tenable, but it's area of effectiveness shrinks as technology and the typical nature of data transfer changes.

For good or bad the idea of physical ownership of software/media/products is being erased and there's a legitimate conversation about where the shifting sands will settle.

For good or bad the idea of physical ownership of software/media/products is being erased and there's a legitimate conversation about where the shifting sands will settle.

I'd love to see legislation giving you perpetual ownership of digital goods, I suspect that's the only way we'd ever see such a thing. But for the "durability" of physical vs digital, I've found my Steam library is so far at 100%, which is way better than any physical media considering my Steam account is 20 years old now (yeah I got one asap).

Discs have a literal shelf life, if I'm remembering right it's about 20-30 years, meaning if I'd had Half Life 2 on disc it might be a ruined disc by now. Of course if I'd bought "The Crew" I wouldn't have it anymore either. Thus the need for legislation, if you buy a digital good you must, at least somehow, have perpetual access to it (even if it's a hacky user maintained way).

How you access such data seems beside the point, your physical media doesn't last forever and it's "tangibility" of being able to hold it is just a convenient mental shortcut to making your brain feel better about it, being able to download gives you no less access to the end product. Nor if you had a physical copy of "The Crew" would the servers required to play getting shut down disable your access any less than if you had it in your steam library. Legal ownership is the only recourse to "owning" anything dependent on such services, one way or another.

Do you have any evidence that the business model is untenable like you said? Before there was digital what Charlietus was describing was a common occurrence within gaming circles, people would buy the latest games for $50/60 dollars, then sell them, that person would then get a portion of their money back, with which they would then buy new games. This custom never seemed to hurt the industry in any noticeable way back then, so what has changed? None of the industry was crying about lost profits when the likes of EA, Activision, Sony, MS and Nintendo were rolling in money during the 2000s and 2010s.

Now this option has been taken away and they have also taken away the ability to buy games at a lower price in the form of 2nd hand games, instead offering an inferior "rental" service, like GamePass. Seems to me that the industry has gotten greedy and fat on the extra money that they were making off of the COVID lockdown and are now getting hosed. The 2nd hand games market can't be blamed for "lost profits" and causing the market to "stagnate".
To me this is kind of similar to piracy discussions. You either offer a lower cost option, or some people either ignore your product, since they can't afford it, or they pirate it. Do publishers want even less people to actually experience their games? Most games are already struggling to move units, which hurts the word of mouth and the discussion dies quicker. Let's restrict games to just high margins, high cost digital versions, and I can see things going even worse.

There are so many pros and cons for either directions, it's a really complicated situation.

Agree, people wouldn't abandon gaming because of it. But people that don't want to spend too much on games would be even more selective on their purchases, leading to even more stagnation in the market. Another big problem would be convincing your various Euronics, Mediaworld, target, Walmarts to not abandon selling consoles in store with no physical games to improve margins. That's already happening in Europe with Xbox, and we can all agree that's not helping the situation.
Consoles are toys, and losing physical games would restrict their reach for a lot of the audience.

If push comes to shove they can pay (or some other partnership) for store presence and roll it into their marketing budget. This is a very common practice in retail, even down to grocery items.

The businesses are going to look at it from a business perpesctive. All I'm trying to say this this discussion from a consumer preference stand point is a bit mute in terms of what the end decision and trajectory would be. I mean for example I think all consumers would prefer to pay $10 less per game yet the business side is more likely to ingrain pricing up $10.

The issue here is because with current market expectations you have physical alternatives which is not the same scenario as having no physical alternatives, including other titles.

To me this is kind of similar to piracy discussions. You either offer a lower cost option, or people either ignore your product, since they can't afford it, or they pirate it. Do publishers want even less people to actually experience their games? Most games are already struggling to move units, which hurts the word of mouth and the discussion dies quicker. Let's restrict games to just high margins, high cost digital versions, and I can see things going even worse.

If we look trends from other industries what's going to likely happen is the so called "middle" will likely collapse but the ends will end up benefiting. The biggest titles likely won't have issues in terms of visibility with the loss of physical retail, and they'll get more of the so called "cut" while also no longer haivng to deal with things like inventory management. The smaller titles would likely benefit in terms of more visibility and discoverability, and also not have to deal with the issue of physical inventory.

I wish that there was a physical media design manufacturer which all video game publishers could use, which could make the users desired physical media on demand. The publishers would send the official artworks for the box/case, manual, and disc/USB drive.. and they would create it just for you on demand. How sick would that be? Or being able to just order and create professional quality copies of any game by uploading the artwork and designing the package you want on their website.

If that was the case, I'd still champion physical media... but as it is now, it's so lame it's not worth supporting. Flimsy plastic case, plus a slip of paper with some website to look at an online manual.. in black and white... and that's if you're lucky. We need the return of full beautiful colored artwork, with nice thick instruction manuals in full color with amazing art also giving you inside tips and tricks. Maps for RPGs with detailed info of the game world.. along with some stickers or a poster. THAT was truly awesome.. when companies put a lot of effort into the entire package.. not just the game. I still have my cherished original Final Fantasy 1 NES copy I got for Christmas back in 1990, the year it released. It came with a Nintendo Power strategy guide and world and dungeon maps. It was so awesome to be playing the game and looking up monster stats in the strategy guide and all the awesome artwork.. as well as checking the map and trying to find where to go next and make it there alive! You felt like you were getting a real package of awesome stuff.

Disclaimer: These are not my pictures, but this is the exact set I have.
s-l1200.jpg
s-l400.jpg

(Fun Fact... for my Christmas present my mom knew she was going to get me a game.. but she had no idea which one to get.. back then you really didn't know much about the games until you bought and played them. So my mom went into town and to a game shop, and looked at various games, and she said she thought it looked like something I'd like.. so she just grabbed it, brought it home and wrapped it up. Little did she know just how important this game would end up being to me. Little did she know that it would truly cement my life long love for video games, and little did she know I'd bond with friends, who are still friends of mine to this day, over this game, playing it together and discussing it at school. FF1 played such a massive part in my gaming history. I'm so glad I kept it all these years. :love: )

The business side actually does realize there is a desire for that type fo content/product but they also realized the hardcore fans and collectors are willing to pay more for it. Hence why it exists but they are now marketed as "collectors editions" or equivalents, see FF XVI -

716dbGKP7AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

In terms of actual game guide/hint content well I don't think most people care about that anymore as it's so readily available online. I remember the transition point myself in which print guides and word of mouth switched once the internet came about and sites like GameFAQs in the late 90s.

If push comes to shove they can pay (or some other partnership) for store presence and roll it into their marketing budget. This is a very common practice in retail, even down to grocery items.

The businesses are going to look at it from a business perpesctive. All I'm trying to say this this discussion from a consumer preference stand point is a bit mute in terms of what the end decision and trajectory would be. I mean for example I think all consumers would prefer to pay $10 less per game yet the business side is more likely to ingrain pricing up $10.

The issue here is because with current market expectations you have physical alternatives which is not the same scenario as having no physical alternatives, including other titles.

If we look trends from other industries what's going to likely happen is the so called "middle" will likely collapse but the ends will end up benefiting. The biggest titles likely won't have issues in terms of visibility with the loss of physical retail, and they'll get more of the so called "cut" while also no longer haivng to deal with things like inventory management. The smaller titles would likely benefit in terms of more visibility and discoverability, and also not have to deal with the issue of physical inventory.
The gaming audience has already demonstrated that it's different from other industries. I don't know why physical fell so far for movies, but I remember that piracy was rampant, there were literally shops in my city to buy 10 CD's for the equivalent of 10€. All pirated, of course. So I can see why things went the way they went.

Meanwhile piracy on consoles is at a all time low, and streaming and subscriptions failed to take off. People are already influencing the market, and the platforms will have to take that in to account, even if they don't like it.

The middle collapsing would be pretty sad, and it's already happening, just slowly. God save non indie smaller games, it feels like every new IP is failing, and it's disastrous for the health of the medium.

Sorry but the industry absolutely was crying that they were not getting a cut of secondhand sales.
Yeah sorry, I made a typo on that last bit..lol I don't have enough posts to be granted the power of EDIT yet. :giggle:

I know how badly the industry wanted to stop the sales of 2nd hand games, however despite not being able to stop it they were still rolling in money. I'm sure the shareholders and big cheeses went through many $100 bills, using them to blow their noses and wipe away their tears over the sight of all that money they were "losing out on". :LOL:

I wonder though what would have been the effects on the sales performance on some of the games had they been able to eradicate 2nd hand sales during the physical disc era? Would it have resulted in fewer games sold? Would it have affected the profits of the big platform owners/publishers? I know that I personally would not have purchased as many games without the 2nd hand games option.

The gaming audience has already demonstrated that it's different from other industries. I don't know why physical fell so far for movies, but I remember that piracy was rampant, there were literally shops in my city to buy 10 CD's for the equivalent of 10€. All pirated, of course. So I can see why things went the way they went.

We say this but are we saying strictly the console gaming audience? We've had both a gaming platform/audience that transitioned to digital in the PC and another in mobile that was always digital.

Meanwhile piracy on consoles is at a all time low, and streaming and subscriptions failed to take off. People are already influencing the market, and the platforms will have to take that in to account, even if they don't like it.

Streaming and subscription services for gaming are going to be different then the movie/music/tv/etc. industries as streaming/subscription is really just a new take on the broadcast and rental markets that were already entrenched and familiar as content delivery for those industries.

The middle collapsing would be pretty sad, and it's already happening, just slowly. God save non indie smaller games, it feels like every new IP is failing, and it's disastrous for the health of the medium.

I don't know about that, I have a different take on that. We see this somewhat as the case on the PC in that really the choices are more then ever as the bottom/indie games are better than ever from a production quality and scope stand point.

Do you have any evidence that the business model is untenable like you said?
You'd have to google the old discussions which were big talk, but the Xbox One game licensing fiasco was partly driven by a way to secure revenue from second-hand sales. Sony patented a writeable disc that could record that the license had been consumed; a patent that wouldn't exist if they hadn't considered this an issue to address.
I know how badly the industry wanted to stop the sales of 2nd hand games, however despite not being able to stop it they were still rolling in money.
I vaguely remember they were feeling the squeeze, revenue wasn't scaling. And since then, we've seen costs to produce increase even further. Missing a couple of $60 sales due to second hand sales on a game that cost $50 million to make is one thing, but missing a couple of a $70 sales on a game that cost $300+M is something else. The market may well have been sustainable at the $50M budget games but perhaps not going forwards into 2020.

I know that I personally would not have purchased as many games without the 2nd hand games option.
And your loss to the industry would have meant nothing. Everyone who gamed without injecting more money to the industry wasn't contributing to its upkeep, and only made for headline "x million PlayStations sold" statements while those owners weren't bringing in any revenue. Look at SIE's operating income during the PS1 and PS2 era - they were just bubbling money up and down, all wiped out by PS3. Get to PS4 with digital and network services and now revenue is stable, growing, and they can work with across the company in a big way. PS1 and PS2, iconic consoles, making a fraction of the money they could because of piracy and second hand sales.

This is where digital is the great equaliser and stabiliser. There are no up-front production costs meaning AA and indie games can thrive.

I'm not sure if you know how physical worked and how it introduced risk and cost. If you wanted to publish a game, you had to book a printing run. You had to order how many discs (carts) you wanted and pay for that up front. Order too few, you miss sales, so you have to over-order and end up with discs no-one wants that'll appear in budget bins. So now as a game developer, you have this substantial up-front cost you can't afford. You need a publisher to fit the bill, who in turn might well dabble with your game because it's their money on the line and your creative freedom is impacted. As the printing deadline looms, you can't change it, so you have to crunch to get the amount of work still needed to be done in the limited hours until it goes gold.

Finally you get your game published - yay! - and you see it in stores. People buy it. Woohoo! Then they return it and it goes second hand and you know there's people enjoying your game but you aren't getting any money. That is, the retailers paid for stock to sell, but there were often deals that they could sell back unsold copies. Shorter games were far more likely to be returned, encouraging devs to make them lengthy with grind mechanics (now turned into monetisation engagement mechanics) to discourage people from selling them on after the 7 hour campaign.

50 years later, these physical copies are just dead polycarbonate disks. Millions of them in landfill or hanging over vegetables. People who want to play the games do so in emulators at better quality using a digital copy and the actual need for physical copies to play in physical hardware is effectively zero.

If you look at digital, you can publish yourself with no upfront costs so any indie and AA studio can give it a whirl. This spawned the indie revolution! There's no physical reason to have a fixed release date and you can manage your game and work-life balance to release when it's done. There's no redundant stock or physical waste. There's no second-hand sales, so you don't have to worry about someone finishing your game in 5 hours and then selling it on, cannibalising new-game sales, so less need for artificial padding. There's no need for middle-men fees so games can be cheaper.

The problems with digital aren't intrinsic to the medium but are caused by the businesses that operate them who respond to how consumers act. Games cost more on digital because consumers are dumb enough to pay more, but if they value the convenience that much, the businesses aren't going to sell cheaper anyway! Had gamers laughed at $70 digital copies knowing that there's no middleman to pay, and refused to buy until they were $50, that'd be the price of digital games. Games disappearing from libraries is also an issue of licensing and whatnot, which isn't a fault of digital but companies being firstly clueless about deals that are fair, and then secondly jerks about wanting to tap/block ongoing sales that weren't part of the original agreement. Rights holders to music could have just said, "you know what, sure, we made our money from the disc sales 20 years ago. Go ahead and release the game on digital with our audio and good luck to you."

As a developer, physical is obnoxious and it's good its dying. Digital enables devs to make the game they want. Well, it's one less barrier, There's still money and whatnot adding pressures. But having one less problem is a Good Thing.

We say this but are we saying strictly the console gaming audience? We've had both a gaming platform/audience that transitioned to digital in the PC and another in mobile that was always digital.

Streaming and subscription services for gaming are going to be different then the movie/music/tv/etc. industries as streaming/subscription is really just a new take on the broadcast and rental markets that were already entrenched and familiar as content delivery for those industries.

I don't know about that, I have a different take on that. We see this somewhat as the case on the PC in that really the choices are more then ever as the bottom/indie games are better than ever from a production quality and scope stand point.
Yes, I'm talking about console users.

Even on what happened on PC, it makes sense. I found this article for example from 2007:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6449421.stm

"Some estimates show that as much as 50% of game sales are lost to piracy in the US.

"In Eastern Europe, Asia and South America the losses are estimated to be 90% plus," he said.

o.gif

He added: "Piracy is rampant at this moment."

So, a rise of digital makes sense. People who were pirating games started using steam instead, leading to the market of today.

On consoles, the situation is of course, quite different.

What's the catalyst for that to happen on console? Convenience? I can't see how that's enough for it to die.

What's the catalyst for that to happen on console? Convenience? I can't see how that's enough for it to die.
Then you underestimate convenience! What's one of the more valued improvements in consoles this gen? Quick-resume! That you can jump from one game to another nigh instantly. The moment you have to put in a disc to play, you have a notable inconvenience in game storage and access. Considering every game you put in your diskdrive is already installed, and you download and install patches from the internet, it's just a license to play.

It's kinda like wanting cash over contactless-payment - what proportion of people want a pocket full of coins and notes versus a single piece of plastic, or phone they are already carrying for other reasons, they can wave over a sensor to pay? If you already are going to card/phone, why also carry cash? It's redundant.

Then you underestimate convenience! What's one of the more valued improvements in consoles this gen? Quick-resume! That you can jump from one game to another nigh instantly. The moment you have to put in a disc to play, you have a notable inconvenience in game storage and access. Considering every game you put in your diskdrive is already installed, and you download and install patches from the internet, it's just a license to play.

It's kinda like wanting cash over contactless-payment - what proportion of people want a pocket full of coins and notes versus a single piece of plastic, or phone they are already carrying for other reasons, they can wave over a sensor to pay? If you already are going to card/phone, why also carry cash? It's redundant.
I'm not underestimating convenience, I'm saying that it's not enough for it to die. And clueless people who walk in to a store asking for the latest cool game will always exist, just like grandmas and grandpas who will want to get a new game for their nephew, and kids who see Mario in the store and beg their parents to get it for them.

You'd have to google the old discussions which were big talk, but the Xbox One game licensing fiasco was partly driven by a way to secure revenue from second-hand sales. Sony patented a writeable disc that could record that the license had been consumed; a patent that wouldn't exist if they hadn't considered this an issue to address.

I vaguely remember they were feeling the squeeze, revenue wasn't scaling. And since then, we've seen costs to produce increase even further. Missing a couple of $60 sales due to second hand sales on a game that cost $50 million to make is one thing, but missing a couple of a $70 sales on a game that cost $300+M is something else. The market may well have been sustainable at the $50M budget games but perhaps not going forwards into 2020.

And your loss to the industry would have meant nothing. Everyone who gamed without injecting more money to the industry wasn't contributing to its upkeep, and only made for headline "x million PlayStations sold" statements while those owners weren't bringing in any revenue. Look at SIE's operating income during the PS1 and PS2 era - they were just bubbling money up and down, all wiped out by PS3. Get to PS4 with digital and network services and now revenue is stable, growing, and they can work with across the company in a big way. PS1 and PS2, iconic consoles, making a fraction of the money they could because of piracy and second hand sales.

This is where digital is the great equaliser and stabiliser. There are no up-front production costs meaning AA and indie games can thrive.

I'm not sure if you know how physical worked and how it introduced risk and cost. If you wanted to publish a game, you had to book a printing run. You had to order how many discs (carts) you wanted and pay for that up front. Order too few, you miss sales, so you have to over-order and end up with discs no-one wants that'll appear in budget bins. So now as a game developer, you have this substantial up-front cost you can't afford. You need a publisher to fit the bill, who in turn might well dabble with your game because it's their money on the line and your creative freedom is impacted. As the printing deadline looms, you can't change it, so you have to crunch to get the amount of work still needed to be done in the limited hours until it goes gold.

Finally you get your game published - yay! - and you see it in stores. People buy it. Woohoo! Then they return it and it goes second hand and you know there's people enjoying your game but you aren't getting any money. That is, the retailers paid for stock to sell, but there were often deals that they could sell back unsold copies. Shorter games were far more likely to be returned, encouraging devs to make them lengthy with grind mechanics (now turned into monetisation engagement mechanics) to discourage people from selling them on after the 7 hour campaign.

50 years later, these physical copies are just dead polycarbonate disks. Millions of them in landfill or hanging over vegetables. People who want to play the games do so in emulators at better quality using a digital copy and the actual need for physical copies to play in physical hardware is effectively zero.

If you look at digital, you can publish yourself with no upfront costs so any indie and AA studio can give it a whirl. This spawned the indie revolution! There's no physical reason to have a fixed release date and you can manage your game and work-life balance to release when it's done. There's no redundant stock or physical waste. There's no second-hand sales, so you don't have to worry about someone finishing your game in 5 hours and then selling it on, cannibalising new-game sales, so less need for artificial padding. There's no need for middle-men fees so games can be cheaper.

The problems with digital aren't intrinsic to the medium but are caused by the businesses that operate them who respond to how consumers act. Games cost more on digital because consumers are dumb enough to pay more, but if they value the convenience that much, the businesses aren't going to sell cheaper anyway! Had gamers laughed at $70 digital copies knowing that there's no middleman to pay, and refused to buy until they were $50, that'd be the price of digital games. Games disappearing from libraries is also an issue of licensing and whatnot, which isn't a fault of digital but companies being firstly clueless about deals that are fair, and then secondly jerks about wanting to tap/block ongoing sales that weren't part of the original agreement. Rights holders to music could have just said, "you know what, sure, we made our money from the disc sales 20 years ago. Go ahead and release the game on digital with our audio and good luck to you."

As a developer, physical is obnoxious and it's good its dying. Digital enables devs to make the game they want. Well, it's one less barrier, There's still money and whatnot adding pressures. But having one less problem is a Good Thing.
Small games are releasing as digital only all the time, it's not like they have to choose between one and the other.

And is a digital only release easier on the developer? Yeah, don't know by how much, since it's a distribution method that has been perfected for like 40 years.

But at the same time, should the consumer even care about those things? It's not the consumer responsibility to help the industry to get better profit margins at the cost of choice for the user.

And I would argue that the cost to market for discs is marginal compared to games that last hours upon hours more than they should (you could cut 7 hours from tlou 2 without losing anything, with better pacing) or useless sidequests and huge worlds that hurt game design.

Should android stop side loading because it hurts developers and enables piracy?

Should developers block mods because they hurt their bottom line?

Anything that hurts existing consumer freedom should be criticized, even if it brings some advantages for the creators and the companies.

One could argue that digital goods transfer too much power away from the user, and someday that's going to change, with the European commission bring particularly active on those matters.

I'm not underestimating convenience, I'm saying that it's not enough for it to die.
On its own, no. However, together with market forces, I think so. The publishers want everyone on digital, and you start to see games not even getting a physical release. As digital starts to get more content, those used to physical will start engaging with digital downloads. With less physical selling, stores will start stocking less, with shrinking gaming sections in stores and the outright closing of video game specialists.
And clueless people who walk in to a store asking for the latest cool game will always exist, just like grandmas and grandpas who will want to get a new game for their nephew, and kids who see Mario in the store and beg their parents to get it for them.
There'll be download codes taking up less shelf space than a DVD case, which stores will probably prefer over keeping discs. You can have a fancy Mario cardboard presentation with a download code, something physical that promotes the game and functions as a gift. Besides, publishers aren't going to keep discs going just for grandparents (who'll die out over time and subsequent generations will know only digital). if the rest of the market moves to digital, grannies will just either have to adapt or buy their grand-kids something else. By now they are probably getting used to requests for V-bucks, Robux, and Minecoins.

And is a digital only release easier on the developer? Yeah, don't know by how much, since it's a distribution method that has been perfected for like 40 years.
Massively! It takes ~$5 dollar to print and distribute a disk which comes out of your $70 RRP. It's not about an inefficient new process but a process that's got a high base that can't be lowered, printing, shipping and storing physical inventory. Not to mention the dollar value of the upfront payments and the risks of incorrect production estimates.
But at the same time, should the consumer even care about those things? It's not the consumer responsibility to help the industry to get better profit margins at the cost of choice for the user.
This isn't a moral debate. This is a question about whether physical will remain or not, regardless of who it's best for. But understanding who benefits, we see some pros and cons for consumers, and only pros for producers. Given producers want an all-digital future, and consumers aren't that bothered by and large, it seems inevitable physical will die away.
One could argue that digital goods transfer too much power away from the user, and someday that's going to change, with the European commission bring particularly active on those matters.
Which will only facilitate the move to digital as gamers who value resale of physical will have that in digital and have one less reason to keep buying discs.

Last edited:
Back