Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

PS3's avoidance of piracy has nothing to do with the expense of BD blanks, and everything to do with the security system in place. It's £5 for a BD blank now, more than enough for piracy to economically flourish. If the security was circumvented, most games would be able to be run from DVD+R DL any way - certainly, the debug stations allow for the running of code from them.

More than that, if PS3's security did fall, the demand for blank BDs would increase massively and the cost would tumble still further - 360 piracy proves that.

I'm struggling to understand the rest of your post - I just can't see the economics working, particularly when Sony has a vested interest in optical media. They make money not just from games software on BD, but movies too. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that BDs won't get cheaper to produce, but flash media will. Bearing in mind all the vested interests and the fact that the platform holders make money from the games, not the consoles, it simply makes sense to make the games as cheap to produce as possible.

eastmen:

The cost of flash is measured in dollars. The cost of optical is measured in cents. Can you provide any logical reason why, if given a choice, a publisher would choose to cut profits by picking the more expensive media?

IIRC, ~70% of all games do not make a profit today. In your future scenario, assuming prices stay the same those same games would be taking an even bigger loss.

Just to play devils advocate(not that I think they will do this), but could all the games be digitally distributed via online or a bricks & mortar store? Microsoft just wouldn't have physical boxes with manuals, optical disks or expensive cartridges/flash/SSD. Microsoft could just require the consumer pay for the medium at cost. This way Microsoft, the publishers & developers wouldn't need to pay for the medium. You buy the cartridge/flash or whatever and then have your title transferred to it at check out.

Tommy McClain

While I doubt that next gen will use carts, especially Sony, the idea does have some merit imo. 32GB carts might just be cheap and feasible enough in 2011 and onwards, if they dramatically help loading times. Right now it seems a optical disc drive will have difficulties filling up the RAM if there is 4GB of it.

It might be possible to add few more dollars into retail prices of new games and MS might be reluctant to use Blu-ray, especially if the combination of digital distribution and carts could give them some other advantages aswell, like faster loading times,no standard HDD again in the entry level model, smaller size of the unit and less noise among other things.

edit: the cart interface should also be quite a lot cheaper than the Blu-ray drive, so there should be some cost benefits going with the cart also and not just additional expences. Imo it wouldn't be nearly as big of a mistake, what the N64 carts were at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way i can see SSD's being used is to use them as a transfer to a terabyte or larger harddisk, from a kiosk. That'd be large enough for people to have say 20 games on (enough for most people within a generation at least,) but then you have the problem that you have the hard disk and the SSD transfer device in the cost. You could keep a 2 times drive for movies on BR. You'd also use that SSD as a user identifier, so that no matter what system you were on you could download and play whatever game you were entitled to. Take you card and removeable HDD to a friends and you're good to go. Heck you could even transfer rights to a game. Aslong as the security on the SSD was fine there would be no problem.

So the question is how many games would someone need to buy before that reusable SSD was more cost effective than just pressing the games on BR? And how's that balence against the advantages of less factory and floor space requirements and your whole catalogue avaliable permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3's avoidance of piracy has nothing to do with the expense of BD blanks, and everything to do with the security system in place. It's £5 for a BD blank now, more than enough for piracy to economically flourish. If the security was circumvented, most games would be able to be run from DVD+R DL any way - certainly, the debug stations allow for the running of code from them.

More than that, if PS3's security did fall, the demand for blank BDs would increase massively and the cost would tumble still further - 360 piracy proves that.

I'm struggling to understand the rest of your post - I just can't see the economics working, particularly when Sony has a vested interest in optical media. They make money not just from games software on BD, but movies too. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that BDs won't get cheaper to produce, but flash media will. Bearing in mind all the vested interests and the fact that the platform holders make money from the games, not the consoles, it simply makes sense to make the games as cheap to produce as possible.

5$ for a blank is still alot more expensive than 10 cents it costs for a blank dvd.

eastmen:

The cost of flash is measured in dollars. The cost of optical is measured in cents. Can you provide any logical reason why, if given a choice, a publisher would choose to cut profits by picking the more expensive media?

IIRC, ~70% of all games do not make a profit today. In your future scenario, assuming prices stay the same those same games would be taking an even bigger loss.

Do you have a link to whole sale prices of flash and do you have the whole sale prices of bluray ?

Just to play devils advocate(not that I think they will do this), but could all the games be digitally distributed via online or a bricks & mortar store? Microsoft just wouldn't have physical boxes with manuals, optical disks or expensive cartridges/flash/SSD. Microsoft could just require the consumer pay for the medium at cost. This way Microsoft, the publishers & developers wouldn't need to pay for the medium. You buy the cartridge/flash or whatever and then have your title transferred to it at check out.

Tommy McClain

We've discussed this earlier. You could sell the Rom cards at stores. Have a kiosk not much larger than the 360 and ps3 kiosks now that have terabytes of storage and can load games over the cost of a few days to the kiosk so you wouldn't need an extremely fast connection.

While I doubt that next gen will use carts, especially Sony, the idea does have some merit imo. 32GB carts might just be cheap and feasible enough in 2011 and onwards, if they dramatically help loading times. Right now it seems a optical disc drive will have difficulties filling up the RAM if there is 4GB of it.
I agree , even with an 8 times speed up on bluray it will still be to slow for 4GB , if they move to 8GB of ram forget about it .

might be possible to add few more dollars into retail prices of new games and MS might be reluctant to use Blu-ray, especially if the combination of digital distribution and carts could give them some other advantages aswell, like faster loading times,no standard HDD again in the entry level model, smaller size of the unit and less noise among other things.
Games went up $10 this gen. They can go up another $5 esp for early adopters.

edit: the cart interface should also be quite a lot cheaper than the Blu-ray drive, so there should be some cost benefits going with the cart also and not just additional expences. Imo it wouldn't be nearly as big of a mistake, what the N64 carts were at the time.

You can use a verison of USB 3.0 . It would be cheap and take up almost no room on the console

I've read in the past that the nintendo 64 carts cost upwards of 30 once the data was writen to the cart. That vs the pennies of cd. This time it be dollars if even vs dimes.

If you go the kiosk route , than you can have a console much cheaper than that of an optical console. With fast enough Rom set up you can do without a hardrive.

So

1) Smaller console = cheaper to produce , ship , keep stocked
2) no optical drive = cheaper to produce , no moving parts = less defective or broken units
3) No hardrive. Selling the system with ultra fast roms would do away with this.

The only way i can see SSD's being used is to use them as a transfer to a terabyte or larger harddisk, from a kiosk. That'd be large enough for people to have say 20 games on (enough for most people within a generation at least,) but then you have the problem that you have the hard disk and the SSD transfer device in the cost. You could keep a 2 times drive for movies on BR. You'd also use that SSD as a user identifier, so that no matter what system you were on you could download and play whatever game you were entitled to. Take you card and removeable HDD to a friends and you're good to go. Heck you could even transfer rights to a game. Aslong as the security on the SSD was fine there would be no problem.

I disagree , IF the price of the rom carts is cheap enough you don't need a hardrive. Bring the cost of games down a bit vs disc based games and sell large size roms for cheap. If they can get 64 gigs at $20-30 or esp 128gigs at that price point i don't think it matter.

the question is how many games would someone need to buy before that reusable SSD was more cost effective than just pressing the games on BR? And how's that balence against the advantages of less factory and floor space requirements and your whole catalogue avaliable permanently.

thats the question. It be great if not only on the kiosk you can buy games but you can also demo all the games on that kiosk.

You also have to figure if they go to a steam account like set up there wont be any used game market and their profits should go up.

There are alot of things coming in the future in terms of process shrinks and other ways of continuing moores law. I've been hearing about the death of Moores law since the ps2 came out and some how we keep getting faster and faster chips.
Faster transistors are nice for a CPU but it does bugger all for mass storage ... only memory cells per $ are important for that.

Reproduction costs available online are irrelevant, as is the cost of a BD blank at retail - in the case of Sony, they have their own duplication plants. The cost to them is the cost of labour, materials and overheads. Sony itself presses every BD game. It's not as if publishers can go elsewhere in search of a better deal!

I can't buy a bluray for a dollar either. I can buy a flash drive for $5 though which is the cheapest I can buy a bluray for

in 2011 the cheapest flash drive will still be $5, and that BD that costs $5 today will be less than a dollar. I would be surprised if BD replication is not very similar to what DVD replication costs today.

in 2011 the cheapest flash drive will still be $5, and that BD that costs $5 today will be less than a dollar. I would be surprised if BD replication is not very similar to what DVD replication costs today.

it will be more expensive than dvds. There are extra steps envolved and the hard coating.

As for flash , you still haven't shown me how much flash costs. Till then really your just throwing out numbers

it will be more expensive than dvds. There are extra steps envolved and the hard coating.

As for flash , you still haven't shown me how much flash costs. Till then really your just throwing out numbers

And you are making unsupported claims. Why don't you
do your own research and come up with a theory based on something more than, "wow, SD cards sure are cheap these days!"

Let's use a little bit of common sense please. Do you really think the studios would agree to use BD if the cost 3 years from now was still measured in dollars?

The biggest reason why it's still (relatively) expensive today is simply because the economies of scale are nowhere near that of DVD. Commercial BD-ROM replication is just a little over 2 years old. For the majority of that time SONY DADC has been the sole replicator.

And you are making unsupported claims. Why don't you
do your own research and come up with a theory based on something more than, "wow, SD cards sure are cheap these days!"

I have.

There are extra steps involved in making a bluray disc. You can google it yourself. that was one of the advantages of hd dvd. They could use the same exact lines just modified.

This is a year old but interesting none the less

http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-revealed/111/
$1.30 per single layer Blu-ray Disc (25GB), assuming a quantity of 25,000. For comparison purposes, a run of 25,000 Dual Layer DVD (DVD9) discs would cost about $0.50 per disc at this same facility

So even dvd isn't at pennies but yet bluray will magicly cost pennies in just 2 years ?

It is obvious that the replication Blu-ray is much more complicated, time consuming as well as more expensive than the CD and DVD in the past.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=23215

and we all know there is another step for the hard coating. I don't see why someone would think with this extra step at the very least it would catch up to the price of a technology that has been produced for what 10 years and is lacking this hard coating.

Let's use a little bit of common sense please. Do you really think the studios would agree to use BD if the cost 3 years from now was still measured in dollars?

The biggest reason why it's still (relatively) expensive today is simply because the economies of scale are nowhere near that of DVD. Commercial BD-ROM replication is just a little over 2 years old. For the majority of that time SONY DADC has been the sole replicator.

I don't know how much they will cost but they aren't pennies , not for the dual layer and they wont ever be that cheap. Dvds aren't even that cheap. Still when your making a dl dvd for 50 cents and are selling it for 5-$30 its still a good deal don't you think

So even dvd isn't at pennies but yet bluray will magicly cost pennies in just 2 years ?

How is DVD not measured in pennies when you just posted that it costs 50 cents per unit?

I don't know why you keep focusing on this hard coating as being some sort of huge factor in the cost of BD. hd dvd didn't have a hard coating and from the link you posted a single layer disk is only 15 cents cheaper than a BD25.

How is DVD not measured in pennies when you just posted that it costs 50 cents per unit?

I don't know why you keep focusing on this hard coating as being some sort of huge factor in the cost of BD. hd dvd didn't have a hard coating and from the link you posted a single layer disk is only 15 cents cheaper than a BD25.

IF you want togo that route than flash ram is also measured in pennies. You can even make the arguement that a 500k mercades is also measured in pennys. Heck since its the lowest form of the united states money , everything is measured in pennies.

Fact is that dvds cost more than pennies. Bluray which we already know requires another step in the process (hard coating) will cost more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227372

Sequential Access - Read up to 155 MB/sec

30GB capacity for $70.

Now the question is, can one get the price/performance of such a disk down to minimum $10, ideally $5 by the start of the next generation in 2011/2012?

In that $70, theres probably 50% markups between Newegg and the manufacturer, the Sata interface probably costs $5 so the actual cost of flash and packaging is about $30 im guessing. So the cost would have to come down by a third/sixth to be viable at the start of a generation.

IF you want togo that route than flash ram is also measured in pennies. You can even make the arguement that a 500k mercades is also measured in pennys. Heck since its the lowest form of the united states money , everything is measured in pennies.

Now you're just being obtuse, seriously. You just said so yourself a DVD cost 50 cents ."Penny" is synonymous with "cent." In this universe, 50 cents is not a dollar so therefore the cost of DVD is measured in pennies, not dollars. You could make the argument that a Mercedes price could be measured in pennies but that would be a retarded argument. Show me any legitimate ad, anywhere that lists the price in pennies. You can't because the price is measured in DOLLARS. How bout I just say that the cost of optical is measured in cents, not dollars. There, feel better now?:rolleyes:

Fact is that dvds cost more than pennies. Bluray which we already know requires another step in the process (hard coating) will cost more.

Well duh. we all know that BD costs more than DVD. One of the major selling points for hd dvd was that it's production costs would be very similar if not identical to DVD because of the similarity of disc structure and that existing DVD lines could be used to replicate hd dvd. Yet in the link that YOU posted, hd dvd single layer is only $.15 less than a BD25. care to explain that?

Back