Aftermarket cooler for a 4890. As quiet as possible.

They should as they are of same layout except some added PWM circuits. The thing to think about is that the VRMs get enough cooling. The usual heatsink pieces that come with after market coolers are not enough. Also they tend to fall off meaning the VRMs will get toasted badly.

Altough it might be on the high edge when gaming you might smoke your VRMs in benches like Furmark or similar.

If your going for the Twin Turbo cooler or similar then I recoomend the ZM-RHS70 as VRM heatsink. Despite it's height it will get embedded inbetween the Twin Turbo heatsink fins without problems. It will also have the second Twin Turbo cooler fan above it giving it decent airflow pressure.

Also you might want think about connecting the cooler fans to the PSU/volt regulator as the graphic card connector and PWM system might drive the fans at to slow speed as default.

ZM-RHS70
http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=335

Twin Turbo
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=101

Also they tend to fall off meaning the VRMs will get toasted badly.
If you want a really good connection (thermically and mechanically) you can always take off the pads and use thermal epoxy.

PS. what ever happened to the Auras Fridge? Can't find it for sale anywhere anymore locally, did too many people blow up their VRMs and sue them or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
They should as they are of same layout except some added PWM circuits. The thing to think about is that the VRMs get enough cooling. The usual heatsink pieces that come with after market coolers are not enough. Also they tend to fall off meaning the VRMs will get toasted badly.
When I was installing my twin turbo on the 4870, I read a comment by someone on another website (which I forget) that had a decent suggestion which I used.

I disassembled the stock fan such that the fan itself and the plastic cover were gone, but I left the bottom plate that covers the VRMs on. Then I stuck a couple of the heatsinks on the modules that were exposed through the plate (I guess they would be the memory modules) and mounted the fan.

This way when the air blows, the plate seems to cool down the VRMs and it is rather secure. Plus I didn't have to buy anything extra aside from the stuff already included with the twin turbo.

Overall I noticed a very significant drop in temperatures according to GPU-Z since I can run the fan at around 40 percent speed without hearing it at all over the rest of the components in my system.

Thats another solution to use the backplate. Although the ZM-70H VRM heatsink embedded through the Twi nTurbo heatsinks is a more legeant solution and should cool better. Though either solution is good and beats using the small, low height flimsy heatsinks that follows with the Twin Turbo.

Water cooling, quiter and perform better then air :D

All my stuff is under water, my GPU's load at 47c and are whisper quiet ;)

Modern tower and GPU coolers are capable of keeping almost anything cooled with just 800 RPM fans (which is about the point where I would start calling fans quiet). Only with SLI setups, where it might be hard to get decent airflow for the GPU, or if you care about those last couple of percentage points on your overclock do you really need watercooling to stay quiet.

Back