Afro Samurai

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Just freaked when I saw it and grabbed it. I think I'd heard of it, but I never heard of it referred to as a "$1 million an episode, Gonzo's most expensive in history starring Samuel L. Jackson". :oops:

Just watched the first five minutes of the first episode and was pleasantly surprised to see it looks really, really good!

Anyone check it out yet? Am I in for a treat or disappointment?

I think it's the novelty of really, really good voice acting in english in an anime that's sucking me in. :LOL:

You obviously don't watch much of the recent dubbed anime then. Dubs have improved in leaps and bounds. Pretty much any past 2000 dub is fairly listenable. Quite a few production crews routinely produce excellent dubs. Look for dubs directed or ADR produced by Talesin Jaffe, Jonathan Klein, Matt Greenfield, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Mike McFarland to name a few.

This would include :-

RahXephon,
Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex,
R.O.D. the TV,
Paranoia Agent,
Haibane Renmei,
Full Metal Alchemist.

You'll have a blast with Afro. I didn't expect much from it other than to waste time but was very impressed with it. It's one hell of an anime action ride.

It was good, probably the most violent anime I've seen since "Elfen Lied". :)

Can't wait for a sequel. None announced, but I expect one anyways.

The animation and style remind me of Ninja Scroll. I didn't really get into Afro Samurai, but it does look pretty cool.

You obviously don't watch much of the recent dubbed anime then. Dubs have improved in leaps and bounds. Pretty much any past 2000 dub is fairly listenable.
I wouldn't go that far. The vast majority of anime releases that arrive stateside are total garbage when they get dubbed. It's those rarer ones that escape all possibility of finding their way into mass marketability that have a chance of not totally sucking. For instance, something like GITS:SAC can't really be turned into a 4Kids kind of production, so it has a better chance of making it into a good dub. Something like Naruto, otoh, is so easy to turn into a pointless kiddy action series that the end product is piss-poor dub voice acting.

RahXephon,
Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex,
R.O.D. the TV,
Paranoia Agent,
Haibane Renmei,
Full Metal Alchemist
I'd agree with some of that. FMA is definitely NOT what I'd consider a good dub -- Ed's and Winry's voices in particular were completely one-dimensional. Al's was maybe 1.1-dimensional... RahXephon is very very borderline. I can't say I've seen the dubs of ROD TV series, but the OVA was lousy at best. Everything else on that list, I'd basically say was decent.

GITS:SAC can only be said to be a decent dub, I think, because the nature of the show lends itself to pretty sterile delivery in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't go that far. The vast majority of anime releases that arrive stateside are total garbage when they get dubbed.
Seconded, I disagreed with most his list but didn't feel it worth arguing. :LOL:

Afro Samurai had great voice acting, Sam Jackson did outstanding as the two lead characters. (He is Afro Samurai and the white froed sidekick NinjaNinja)

I wouldn't go that far. The vast majority of anime releases that arrive stateside are total garbage when they get dubbed. It's those rarer ones that escape all possibility of finding their way into mass marketability that have a chance of not totally sucking. For instance, something like GITS:SAC can't really be turned into a 4Kids kind of production, so it has a better chance of making it into a good dub. Something like Naruto, otoh, is so easy to turn into a pointless kiddy action series that the end product is piss-poor dub voice acting.

Naruto I can't comment on because I haven't watched it in either English or Japanese. Simply not a series I care about. But yes, if 4Kids get their hands on it then it does tend to have dire things done to it in the name of rendering it suitable for childrens TV. One Piece being a prime example of ratings butchering.

I'd agree with some of that. FMA is definitely NOT what I'd consider a good dub -- Ed's and Winry's voices in particular were completely one-dimensional. Al's was maybe 1.1-dimensional...

Odd because they follow pretty closely the Japanese dub. That and the show's creators have been heavily involved in the casting and production of the dub. Given that they are happy with the dub I'd surmise you probably are more speaking from personal preference than any objective reason for disliking the dub.

To my ears it's a strong dub and has been regarded well both in dub awards and sales in the Western world. It is worth trying even if you have been a diehard sub purist. Of course this would mean purchasing the series and given digitalwander's primary method of watching anime this seems a little unlikely. ;)

RahXephon is very very borderline.

In what way? It is a very accurate translation, it captures the tone and mood of the series accurately and it has solid character performances pretty much throughout. Asahina's portrayal would be the one I'd criticise the most as being over the top particularly in the episode where her character comes to the fore. But then if you listen to the original Japanese dub it is similarly over the top.

I can't say I've seen the dubs of ROD TV series, but the OVA was lousy at best.

The OVA was done by a different company from the TV series. Not that I'd characterise the OVA as lousy, it needed a touch more polishing but then in my opinion they were a little too slavish in following the original dub.

Everything else on that list, I'd basically say was decent.

Which means you agree that Paranoia Agent, Haibane Renmei and GitS:SAC were done well. 'kay, good to see some agreement.

GITS:SAC can only be said to be a decent dub, I think, because the nature of the show lends itself to pretty sterile delivery in the first place.

Criticising a sterile show for having a sterile dub delivery that suits the material is a bit rich, don't ya think? :)

Naruto I can't comment on because I haven't watched it in either English or Japanese. Simply not a series I care about. But yes, if 4Kids get their hands on it then it does tend to have dire things done to it in the name of rendering it suitable for childrens TV. One Piece being a prime example of ratings butchering.
Yes, I'm particularly ired by the old dubs of CCS (which I did fansub TLs of many years ago), which turned it into an action series, censored things rather destructively (e.g. censoring out hands that looked "too androgynous", as if there was nothing else androgynous about the character), reordering things rather destructively (e.g. acquiring something in one episode that you've been using regularly for the past 12, or even consecutive episodes which are actually 2 years apart in story time).

Naruto is just an example. But really, there are hundreds of dubs that fall closer to that mold than there are of dubs that fit, say, the English dubs of Miyazaki's stuff (which are all high budget dubs). Similarly, I don't mind the English dub of VHD:Bloodlust (which was produced with the intention of English and Japanese dubs from the start), though some of the dialogue sounds really corny in English.

Odd because they follow pretty closely the Japanese dub. That and the show's creators have been heavily involved in the casting and production of the dub. Given that they are happy with the dub I'd surmise you probably are more speaking from personal preference than any objective reason for disliking the dub.
That sounds more to me like you've been watching an entirely different English dub. I'm aware of how companies that produce English dubs in the US aren't necessarily the ones who produce dubs in say, the UK or Aus, but there's no way I can say that it's a good English dub. In the Japanese version, all the major characters had tragic facets to their nature, and none of that came out in the voice portrayals in English -- which is what I mean by one-dimensional. Ed in Japanese covered the gamut of the character pretty well. Ed in English was strictly whiny and raspy ALL the time. Al was pretty much either the neutral or the mildly comedic Al in English. While Al in Japanese wasn't quite the roller coaster that Ed was, there was more to him than that. At least the *sound* of Al's voice, I didn't mind so much. Nor did I mind the *sound* of Winry's voice, but she was basically played like a valley girl... again, ALL the time. Even when it's completely unsuitable.

In what way? It is a very accurate translation, it captures the tone and mood of the series accurately and it has solid character performances pretty much throughout.
Accurate translations or even suitably colloquialized translations does not equal good voiceover acting. ROD OVA was something of an example of that. I translated one of the episodes for fansubs, and their TL in the dub was about 75% identical to mine... but the acting was more than a little stilted to me.

Criticising a sterile show for having a sterile dub delivery that suits the material is a bit rich, don't ya think? :)
That isn't quite what I was trying to say, but to say that you can't really tell from that whether the actors were really skilled in their craft or it was just convenient. Witch Hunter Robin was much the same way.

Of course, being from a country where movies get dubbed or even redone in several languages and actors/actresses are often hired because of their popularity irrespective of whether or not they actually speak the language the film is in, and this happens for a couple thousand movies a year... well, I've gotten accustomed to good voice acting. As a rule, I often find myself preferring the original language for anything. I didn't find the Tamil dubs of Bugs Bunny any more likable than the English dubs of YYH. Though I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Hindi dub of Ducktales... I never knew what Hindi with a Scottish accent would have sounded like until then.

SUBTITLES PEOPLE, what the hell is wrong with subtitles.

It's really hard watching a piece of anime which has so many Japanese cultural references in English. It's sad more than anything.

Speaking of which.. can anyone recommend some good anime to me?

I like adult stuff (eg no weird facial expressions) with adult themes that takes itself seriously.

Examples of animes I like

Ghost in the Shell
Berserk
Gantz
Black Lagoon
Samurai Champloo + Cowboy Bebop
Jin-Roh
Akira
Animatrix
ninja scroll + fist of the northstar (b/c i like violent action once in awhile)

Yes, I'm particularly ired by the old dubs of CCS (which I did fansub TLs of many years ago), which turned it into an action series, censored things rather destructively (e.g. censoring out hands that looked "too androgynous", as if there was nothing else androgynous about the character), reordering things rather destructively (e.g. acquiring something in one episode that you've been using regularly for the past 12, or even consecutive episodes which are actually 2 years apart in story time).

CCS and it's treatment is one of the legends of anime adaptation and how not to do it. So I can definitely understand where you are coming from.

That sounds more to me like you've been watching an entirely different English dub. I'm aware of how companies that produce English dubs in the US aren't necessarily the ones who produce dubs in say, the UK or Aus, but there's no way I can say that it's a good English dub. In the Japanese version, all the major characters had tragic facets to their nature, and none of that came out in the voice portrayals in English -- which is what I mean by one-dimensional. Ed in Japanese covered the gamut of the character pretty well. Ed in English was strictly whiny and raspy ALL the time. Al was pretty much either the neutral or the mildly comedic Al in English. While Al in Japanese wasn't quite the roller coaster that Ed was, there was more to him than that. At least the *sound* of Al's voice, I didn't mind so much. Nor did I mind the *sound* of Winry's voice, but she was basically played like a valley girl... again, ALL the time. Even when it's completely unsuitable.

Sorry, Al's worry about his memory loss or the motives of his brother, his regret for attempting the transmutation they did and his conflicted horror over discovering what one of the homonculii was based one all came through loud and clear. Similar Ed frequently had quieter wistful moments, concern and a variety of other emotions. Were are talking about the same dub, the US one, as the R4 release didn't differ in that regard. You simply don't seem to be hearing the nuances I do in the work. As I said given that the show's creators are extremely happy with the dub and how well the series has sold in English speaking markets (where english dubs tend to heavily determine sales volume) then I tend to think my interpretation is probably the closer of the two to the truth. Maybe just the voice themselves don't work for you for more aesthetic reasons.

Accurate translations or even suitably colloquialized translations does not equal good voiceover acting. ROD OVA was something of an example of that. I translated one of the episodes for fansubs, and their TL in the dub was about 75% identical to mine... but the acting was more than a little stilted to me.

The ROD OVA I tend to agree on. It is quite listenable but it isn't the best example of english voice dubbing, which is why it wasn't on my list. The TV series on the other hand...

That isn't quite what I was trying to say, but to say that you can't really tell from that whether the actors were really skilled in their craft or it was just convenient. Witch Hunter Robin was much the same way.

Given that most the actors involved in the series have been used all over the voice acting world and usually in the better regarded dubs, then I'd argue they have talent and simply the directing style for the dub was appropriate for the series.

Speaking of which.. can anyone recommend some good anime to me?

Monster, which I have only seen a few episodes of so can't comment directly, is regarded highly.
Texhnolyze is distinctly adult, violent and takes itself seriously.
Boogiepop Phantom might be a little too young adult for your tastes but is otherwise a quite serious and dark set of stories.
Requiem from the Darkness, might offend your visual criteria as people often don't appear as exactly human in it. But it is otherwise a fairly unflinching look at human depravity.
Finally the upcoming Ergo Proxy has been getting a lot of good press as being adult in tone and style.

Upcoming? I liked Ergo Proxy, watched it a while ago.

Check my location Digitalwanderer. The DVDs aren't due for release here for at least two months and given that the series as a whole hasn't even got past vol. 2 in the US then we all know you watched it on downloaded fansub.

Some of us do actually pay for our anime. :)

Back