Advanced cooling technology *spawn

The PS3 cooling system was still a traditional fixed heatsink and rotating fan that collects dust and gets clogged which results in decreased cooling efficiency.

This experimental spinning heatsink creates a fluidic barrier that prevents dust from collecting on it.

I wonder how it does when shut off for a period of months, dust still has to build up , is it easy to for it to clean itself is the question.

The PS3 cooling system was still a traditional fixed heatsink and rotating fan that collects dust and gets clogged which results in decreased cooling efficiency.

This experimental spinning heatsink creates a fluidic barrier that prevents dust from collecting on it.

The PS3 fan does have the outward spinning though, that should at least help ease dust out of the fan more than in a traditional fan. But it was made big partly so that it could run at low speeds and therefore be quieter. The disadvantage of low speeds is that the fan still has a chance to build. The 'Slim' PS3 I think has a slightly different setup, always spinning at a higher speed (it took getting used to at the beginning I really noticed the higher pitch noise, even though it was much quieter, but that passed).

To remedy that, the PS3 had some button combination that sets the fan to blow at max speed for a little while, to blow out most of the dust, but since that's a manual action, most people don't know it and don't do it, and it would have to be done regularly I think to be efficient.

If the motor in this rotating heatsink can be quietened, then great! But this first presentation didn't show it in a great light.
This fansink is a prototype, using a noisy brushless motor. In a production version that motor can easily be switched out to a quiet motor instead (with a cover, as previously mentioned). Check out a modern harddrive, even those spinning at 7200RPM are barely audible at normal room noise levels, especially laptop drives.

That small company happens to be one the premiere research labs in the world.
Lol yeah, Eastmen should check out the Sandia Z-Machine, then consider if he still considers them a small company trying to get off the ground... :LOL:

This fansink is a prototype, using a noisy brushless motor. In a production version that motor can easily be switched out to a quiet motor instead (with a cover, as previously mentioned). Check out a modern harddrive, even those spinning at 7200RPM are barely audible at normal room noise levels, especially laptop drives.
Fair point.

It had more than a small whiff of Black Mesa IMO, that Z-Machine. Extremely weird contraption, but oh so cool.

I also had that pic on my desktop back in teh WinXP days. A truly outlandish piece of engineering if I may say so myself. I especially enjoy the glowing tubes down in the pool of water... :) (Or is it mineral oil perhaps? Dunno.)

Back