A Victory for international cooperation and war on terror

Re: A Victory for international cooperation and war on terro

DemoCoder said:
Im not slamming you DC. But I hate the argument of loss of privacy. Lets assume they were listening to everycall from the cell phone you and I use. Would it have changed any call you made? Not any of the ones Ive made. And I doubt most people would really care either, as long as we live a bit safer lives.

just my 2 cents
later,
epic

Re: A Victory for international cooperation and war on terro

epicstruggle said:
DemoCoder said:
Im not slamming you DC. But I hate the argument of loss of privacy. Lets assume they were listening to everycall from the cell phone you and I use. Would it have changed any call you made? Not any of the ones Ive made. And I doubt most people would really care either, as long as we live a bit safer lives.

just my 2 cents
later,
epic

This statement is so wrong I don't know where to start. Go read the US constitution and the Declaration of Independence. It's not just a loss of privacy it's a loss of autonomy and sovreignty of the individual to the government.
The ends don't justify the means my friend. This simple truism has been ignored. Along with 2 wrongs don't make a right. It's better in my opinion to fight the good fight and lose than to fight with no honor and win.

Secret jails are filled with secret people whom were arrested on secret charges imposed during a secret proceeding by a secret judge. The information was gathered using a secret method by secret police. All them secrets are ok but not a citizen making a secret call , Whcich secrets are more dangerous again ? .... :oops:

indio, I would normally agree with what your saying indio. However the people who are trying to kill us are not imaginary terrorists. They are real, and the threat is real. I gladly sacrifice some privacy so that we can live a safer life. Unconditional freedom and privacy isnt all its cracked up to be when your dead from a terrorist bomb. ;)

later,
epic

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

MPI said:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
The founding fathers lived during a time where the power of a nuclear bomb(chemical/biolagical warfare et al) was inconcivable(sp?). Im sure they would have thought things differently had they lived through 9/11.

BTW you talking on your cell phone is not an "essential liberty". ;)

later,
epic

To be fair, this doesnt seem to imply indiscriminate tapping. The Germans probably had a court order, and the Swiss could have just found the rest by cross referencing calls to known numbers after that.

epic:
Bullshit. It's ironic how the same people apparently can start second guessing the founding fathers of their country and putting things into contemporary context, and yet not when it comes to metal tubes.

MfA said:
To be fair, this doesnt seem to imply indiscriminate tapping. The Germans probably had a court order, and the Swiss could have just found the rest by cross referencing calls to known numbers after that.

That was my take on it...I mean, the real "eavsdropping" looks to have occured once they had actual numbers to work with...

MPI said:
epic:
Bullshit. It's ironic how the same people apparently can start second guessing the founding fathers of their country and putting things into contemporary context, and yet not when it comes to metal tubes.

This isn't directed at any one person, but I'm perpetually amazed at how the more radical right wingers profess to love the Founding Fathers and yet are so totally ignorant of their viewpoints on these essential issues.

Joe DeFuria said:
That was my take on it...I mean, the real "eavsdropping" looks to have occured once they had actual numbers to work with...

Exactly, can someone explain to me how this is "a loss of privacy rights for the terrorists and us" with the emphasis on the us part?

Also, why don't I hear all you people who pretend to be soo concerned with the loss of liberties and privacy rights and preserving the Constitution ripping apart the FBI for their investigations into the 'Mafia' since the 1980s. Which, frankly, are just as bad if not worse than anything I've yet to hear concerning Teorrist based loss of privacy.

I'll even answer that for you - because you don't give a shit, thats why. You only care when it's a 'Politically-Correct' issue which is politically charged and you can run around and recite your favorite political parties talking-points.

K.I.L.E.R, you need help.

I fail to see the point of that article.

1. People can eavesdrop cell phones.
2. You can identify sim cards used for cell phone calls

Big news.

The gist of the article was merely to inform the public as to a nice victory in the war on terror. It simply detailed one particular investigation. It said nothing about the privacy implications, I added that as a troll comment. Perhaps you need to re-read the article.

Do all news articles have to have a "point" to make?

As for the privacy implications, I have said in the past that privacy and freedom are orthogonal concepts. It is possible for a society to be 100% transparent, with no privacy whatsoever, where everyone's behavior is available to everyone else for review and critique, yet, such a society could still remain essentially democratic and free. One of the defining qualities of western democracies is transparency: being able to see what goes on in government and in public markets. The flow of information is very important to the proper function of democracy, otherwise, people's decisions have no basis in reality.

Alas, anonymity is a useful tool in today's world due to government abuse and discrimination, but fundamentally, being able to communicate in private would not be needed if you did not fear the government or other thieves using the information to harm you.

There is however, an end to government snooping. Modern cryptography is unbreakable and once phones become powerful enough to run VoIP applications, the only thing left to the government will be traffic analysis.

paranoia leads to retarded laws and loss of our individual rights... I'd rather be killed by a terrorist than lose my right to privacy...

John Reynolds said:
MPI said:
epic:

This isn't directed at any one person, but I'm perpetually amazed at how the more radical right wingers profess to love the Founding Fathers and yet are so totally ignorant of their viewpoints on these essential issues.
Views held 200+ years ago cannot naively be held so steadfastly today. The constitution is a living document, it changes with times. THAT was something the founding fathers planned for.

Please remember that the FFs viewed minorities and women as second (and third) class citizens. Do you agree with them?? There are many issues that we have grown up on.

later,
epic

Sazar said:
paranoia leads to retarded laws and loss of our individual rights... I'd rather be killed by a terrorist than lose my right to privacy...
What the hell does the govermnent want with you. Unless your a suspected terrorist, your never going to come under the microscope.

later,
epic

Back