A question to Londoners

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
From London to Cologne, what's the most affordable way?

By train or plane? Something like a 5 day roundtrip.

Any websites for me to do some research?

Thx in advance.

Regardless of wether it's cheaper or not, wouldn't you rather go by plane unless you want the majority of your trip to be taken up by the train ride? ;)

Of course, one might argue the train alternative offers a great scenic route, but I know I can sure find better things to do than bump along a steel track for hours on end... Especially when the fat lady next to you is peeling her pears before eating them, and further up the carriage there's a couple with a toddler that won't stop yelling and screaming.

I've never been to Europe, that's why I'm curious....

There are very cheap fares from Toronto to London, and I have a very good friend in Cologne, so I would like to visit him as well.

mito said:

Thx in advance.

take a look at http://www.germanwings.com

You can get a cheap flight London-Cologne there. (I just made a test and got a 7 day round trip flight for ~€85/$100 inc. fees and taxes - I don't think it gets much cheaper by train, and certainly considerably slower). But the prices fluctuate wildly, so you should be a bit flexible when it comes to choosing departure times. Also be aware that this is from Stansted, not Heathrow.

That Germanwings offer sounds quite good, but if you want to depart from Heathrow British Airways has some roundtrip flights to Cologne starting from £86.
Getting from Heathrow to Stansted can be a bit expensive, but if you want to spend some time in London before and after you visit your friend in Cologne, it won't be much of a difference.

Stansted Express from Liverpool Street Station to Stansted Airport is £25 for a return ticket.

You know someone's scottish when...

... everytime you go to a restaurant, he checks the prices on the receipt with the menu... :devilish:

HATE IT.And yes, this is from personal experience...

london-boy said:

... everytime you go to a restaurant, he checks the prices on the receipt with the menu... :devilish:

You mean you've done it yourself? ;)

london-boy said:

Short arms. Deep pockets.

mito said:

Thx in advance.

Probably by bus actually (via the Eurotunnel), unless you managed to find a cheap flight (which also depends on where you are London as different airports will be prefereable).
I'd much rather fly than sit for 18h in a bus, though...

Guden Oden said:
Regardless of wether it's cheaper or not, wouldn't you rather go by plane unless you want the majority of your trip to be taken up by the train ride? ;)

Of course, one might argue the train alternative offers a great scenic route, but I know I can sure find better things to do than bump along a steel track for hours on end... Especially when the fat lady next to you is peeling her pears before eating them, and further up the carriage there's a couple with a toddler that won't stop yelling and screaming.

parts of the train ride would be done at more than 300kph ;) (and 160kph in the tunnel)
the trip would be London-Lille-Brussels-Cologne, not that long.
train spares you from all the airport wait and hassle, and is more comfortable. though I'd expect it to be more expensive than a low cost air company.

Blazkowicz_ said:
parts of the train ride would be done at more than 300kph ;) (and 160kph in the tunnel)
the trip would be London-Lille-Brussels-Cologne, not that long.
train spares you from all the airport wait and hassle, and is more comfortable. though I'd expect it to be more expensive than a low cost air company.

Any sites that I can look for prices? The train option seems interesting to me.

you have http://www.tgv.com/EN/
if you don't know there's still the state monopoly in France on railroads, no private company allowed.

I went through it just to know :)

LONDON WATERLOO INT 08h39 EUROSTAR 9116 Second Class - Non Smoking
Options
BRUXELLES MIDI 12h08 Disabled Meal served at your seat (First Class) Buffet car Children's playroom Reservation required

BRUXELLES MIDI 12h28 THALYS 9425 Second Class - Non Smoking
KOELN HBF 14h45 Disabled Meal served at your seat (First Class) Buffet car Children's playroom Reservation required

179.00 GBP

whoops, I didn't thought London-Brussels would take so long, there's just a big tunnel, a french department and part of a tiny country, what's going on?
that's without any kind of rebates, I don't really know if it does include the return, the site is slow for 56K and I don't want to do that again.

I'm interested in this too... it's hard knowing the "best" way around Europe. Rail seems to be the most common, with el cheapo flights seeming to be frowned upon by travellers.

Let me know what you decide, and how it pans out for you.

Gotta remember to subtract an hour's journey time as that bit of continental Europe is on GMT+2 whilst London is on GMT+1.

Jawed

Jawed said:
Gotta remember to subtract an hour's journey time as that bit of continental Europe is on GMT+2 whilst London is on GMT+1.
Currently, London is on GMT (or UTC) while Cologne is UTC+1. No summer time adjustment yet.

mito said:
look at using one of the budget airlines eg "Ryan Air" or "Easyjet". Sometimes you can get ridiculous deals like 99pence + Tax!

Xmas said:
Currently, London is on GMT (or UTC) while Cologne is UTC+1. No summer time adjustment yet.
Ha, you know, this is so funny - it's bad enough I have to keep checking what day it is and part of me still thinks it's February, whoops, gawd what a stupid moment :oops: That'll teach me to try to be helpful.

Jawed

Back