A new Richard Huddy Interview

I think Larrabee is something for AMD and NV to worry about in the long-term as a platform. Larrabee as a product however, I think gives less cause for concern. A first-gen radically new architecture that is unlikely to surpass the performance of its contemporaries is unlikely to gain significant market share. If Larrabee is to succeed, it will probably be in the console space where devs can truly take advantage of all that programmability. A couple years later it should catch on in the AIB market once enough people have experienced what Larrabee can do in a console environment (both devs and consumers).

If Larrabee is to succeed, it will probably be in the console space where devs can truly take advantage of all that programmability.
I think that depends on what kind of performance/W Larrabee will provide. Being more programmable in the first place, it is very likely to have higher power consumption at the same performance level of a GPU (under the same workload). This doesn't take into account for Intel's process prowess which might compensate for it naturally. I don't know what kind of power envelopes will be considered acceptable for the future consoles but a lower power part is very likely to be the choice even if it means leaving some flexibility on the table.

I think that depends on what kind of performance/W Larrabee will provide. Being more programmable in the first place, it is very likely to have higher power consumption at the same performance level of a GPU (under the same workload). This doesn't take into account for Intel's process prowess which might compensate for it naturally. I don't know what kind of power envelopes will be considered acceptable for the future consoles but a lower power part is very likely to be the choice even if it means leaving some flexibility on the table.

I'm not saying Larrabee is the best fit for any particular console, rather the opposite.

My apologies to Humus for missing him out.

As it has been noted it was a last minute interview - so much of my thinking was "on the hoof" - and during the interview I really did simply forget about Humus's departure. [And, as a manager I'd say that was one of the larger disappointments from my time at ATI/AMD.]

Mentally what I was comparing was the current state of the two Developer Relations teams - and at the forefront of my mind was the fact that NVIDIA staff don't presently seem to want to stay about, whereas we have historically had excellent staff retention.

My ommission of Humus' departure was a mistake for which I apologise.

I didn't know that Humus. I googled it to see what you had out as buying something from someone you know has to be a plus, but it was under construction :) Ah well good luck in your endeavours eh.

Our website has been "under construction" for a while now. It used to be a full-blown website, with screenshots and company info and everything. Not sure what the deal is.
If you're looking for an Avalanche Studios game there's currently only Just Cause that's on the market.

Back