A gun that accelerates a bullet to a speed of 13,000mph

K.I.L.E.R said:
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_RailGuns,,00.html

A projected naval rail gun with a 2.5km/sec muzzle velocity could deliver a guided projectile with an impact velocity of Mach 5 to targets at ranges of 250 miles

Interesting. Sounds like an effective tool to take out enemy planes, maybe missiles, and line-of-site surface targets not obscured by the horizon, but I wonder what the arc over its effective range would be. Eg, can it hit over-the-horizon targets, or does it shoot too far in a straight line so the projectile just flies harmlessly over their heads (from 500ft above the surface, the horizon is only ~32 miles away, much less than the 250 mile range)? Also, since the projectile appears to be only a metal slug and doesn't carry any explosives, what is its minimum speed to cause significant damage, and what is the maximum elevation at which it can be fired and still have that minimum speed when it returns to the ground to hit its target? I'm sure they've got all this figured out already, but I'd be interested to see their ballistics calculations.

Um, how do you propose to hit a plane with a cannon?

It's enough of a challenge to do it with lasers and they - for all intents and purposes - go in perfectly straight lines and hit instantly.

Guden Oden said:
Um, how do you propose to hit a plane with a cannon?

Right... anti-air artillery is SUCH a novel concept... :rolleyes:

The 40mm Bofors on the ship I served on could blow a 2m "sausage" out of the sky on a consistent basis. And those do only about 1km/s muzzle velocity.

It's enough of a challenge to do it with lasers and they - for all intents and purposes - go in perfectly straight lines and hit instantly

That's not much of a challenge, actually, given enough altitude and contrast. There are a number of visual tracking systems already since the 70's at least, it was a backup to radar tracking for instance on the ship I served on.

The cameras that follow the spaceshuttle launches for instance can track it at _very_ far ranges and very high altitude.

Talking about guns on ships?

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/weapons/wep-phal.html

now thats what I call a gun :)

These things make such a lovely sound when firing (from a distance of course) kind of like a buzzing bee. Crazy thing can munch through its mag of 1500 rounds in 20 seconds. Ands its fully automatic from aiming to firing Guden.

Agree about the Metal Storm though, and I would expect the first shots fired would be less accurate and less powerful. Hmm, wonder if under a fast rate of fire the later rounds could catch the first ones up?

Interesting about that rail gun though, to accelerate something from 0 to 13,500 mph in 0.2s, wouldnt that need like a 500m barrel?

fbg1 said:
Also, since the projectile appears to be only a metal slug and doesn't carry any explosives, what is its minimum speed to cause significant damage
If you assume the projectile was , say, a 1kg mass, then 13000mph=> 5813m/s so at the start it'd have ~16M joules of energy

According to one site,
The energy content of dynamite is given as only 0.47 kwh per pound
(Bah! why can't they do everything in metric... bet it's a bloody yank site;) )

so that's about 3.7 MJoules/kilo.

Looks like that would be the same as about 4kg of dynamite (assuming an insignificant amount of drag).

K.I.L.E.R said:
Simon F, is that a lot of energy?
Can't you work out a few comparisons? :?

It's enough to run a 100w lightbulb for ~44 hours.
It's equivalent to the kinetic energy of ~40 cars travelling at 100km/h.

MPI said:
Right... anti-air artillery is SUCH a novel concept... :rolleyes:

Right, but AA shells are of the fragmenting variety. These are straight kinetic projectiles, and unless the caliber is rather substantial all that's going to happen if they hit a plane is they punch a small round hole straight through the 1-2mm aluminium-skinned airframe and the bullet continues merrily on its way, assuming it didn't strike some sort of vital component inside or one of the fuel tanks.

The 40mm Bofors on the ship I served on could blow a 2m "sausage" out of the sky on a consistent basis.

Was that a supersonic sausage flying at stratosphere altitude by any chance? Somehow I can't envision that to be the case.

That's not much of a challenge, actually, given enough altitude and contrast.

Strange then that most of the US missile defense shield tests have been such spectacular failures so far. Same with the "patriot" weapon system, I might add...

They've found that the best way to shoot down missiles, even those at supersonic speeds is simply to get as much metal in the air as possible. That's why the likes of phalanx is deployed on ships with as accurate targeting as possible, but primarily to put as much ordinance as possible into the path of the missile. Same with airplanes.

Heck, a relatively soft and slow seagull hitting the canopy or being sucked into the engine intake can take out a plane, what do you think thousands of rounds of hot metal going at hundreds of miles an hour are going to do as they go though the airframe?

Zabag,

According to what I've read, it's actually not that easy to hit airplanes with gatling cannons for a variety of reasons (limited range is a major one), and even the phalanx missile ship defense system is considered fairly ineffective and is destined for replacement.

Furthermore, if it's one thing a railgun can NOT be said to do, it's to put a lot of metal in the air simultaneously. With the firing rates proposed (what was it, 1 round every 10 seconds?), it's more like taking potshots at an airplane as it wooshes by. :)

Guden Oden said:
Zabag,

According to what I've read, it's actually not that easy to hit airplanes with gatling cannons for a variety of reasons (limited range is a major one), and even the phalanx missile ship defense system is considered fairly ineffective and is destined for replacement.

It's been in production since 1978, so I'm not surprised it's due for replacement. 4500 rounds per minute or tungsten and depleted uranium isn't slow.

The above Phalanx link said:
Description: Fast-reaction, rapid-fire 20-millimeter gun system.

Features: Phalanx provides ships of the U.S. Navy with a "last-chance" defense against anti-ship missiles and littoral warfare threats that have penetrated other fleet defenses. Phalanx automatically detects, tracks and engages anti-air warfare threats such as anti-ship missiles and aircraft, while the Block 1B's man-in-the-loop system counters the emerging littoral warfare threat. This new threat includes small,high-speed surface craft, small terrorist aircraft, helicopters and surface mines. Phalanx accomplishes these engagements via an advanced search and track radar system integrated with a stabilized, forward looking infra-red (FLIR) detector. This integrated FLIR provides Phalanx with an unique multi-spectral detect and track capability for littoral warfare threats and dramatically improves the existing anti-air warfare capability. Block 1B also incorporates new Optimized Gun Barrels which provide improved barrel life, improved round dispersion and increased engagement ranges.

Phalanx is the only deployed close-in weapon system capable of autonomously performing its own search, detect, evaluation, track, engage and kill assessment functions. Phalanx also can be integrated into existing Combat Systems to provide additonal sensor and fire-control capability.

Background: The Phalanx Close-In Weapons System (CIWS) underwent operational tests and evaluation onboard USS Bigelow in 1977, and exceeded maintenance and reliability specifications. Phalanx production started in 1978 with orders for 23 USN and 14 Foreign Military Sales (FMS) systems.

Primary Function: Anti-ship missile defense
Contractor:Raytheon Systems Company (formerly Hughes Missile Systems Company and purchased from General Dynamics Pomona Division in 1992)
Weight: 12,500 pounds (5,625 kg) - Later models: 13,600 pounds (6,120 kg)
Range: Classified
Gun Type: M-61A1 Gatling
Type of Fire: 3,000 rounds per minute - Later models: 4,500 rounds/min (starting 1988 production, Pneumatic Gun Drive)
Magazine Capacity: 989 rounds - Later models: 1,550 rounds
Caliber: 20mm
Ammunition: Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot (APDS), Depleted Uranium sub-caliber penetrator. Penetrator changed to Tungsten 1988. Block 1B will incorporate the new Enhanced Lethality Cartridge with a heavier penetrator.
Sensors: Self-contained search and track radar with integrated FLIR

Back