A gt4 question

darkblu

Veteran
ok, as ridiculous as it may sound, for somebody so much into racers as yours truly, i just started gt4 yesterday*. so here come the mandatory 'where's the tea?' question:

in interlaced video mode on my black pstwo the game seems to occasionally lose video sync, or more precisely, for a short while the output becomes as if one of the video fields is not the correct one, or it was offset incorrectly, then it promptly corrects itself. that happens mainly right after race/replay start and/or during post-race ranking display. so is that a known feature or am i having a unique experience? otherwise the game is a kick - drives properly and has tons of fancy gimmicks. i particulaly love the photo taking and storing on a usb stick - i miss that in le mans.

* and i almost threw the disk away after driving in utter frustration for a couple of races, condemning the game forever and returning to good old le mans to soothe my rage, had i not suddenly realised that the brake i had been using all that time had not been the regular one but the hand brake ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never run gt4 in interlaced mode, but I do remember the replays having a bit of a problem choosing cameras (following the cars as normal then jumping to a different camera for a second usually showing empty track, then back to normal again).

And save some money for day 694 if you like all black Japanese Le Mans cars.

thanks for the tip! i still have not discovered the LMPs, though i know they're in the game. and i want them badly :)

btw, my fav so far is the ginetta - with the 2l engine, minimalistic weight and rear drivetrain that car feels like it has a mind of its own - i love this car!

Are you playing in 1080i mode? IIRC if you play GT4 in 1080i mode, all the menus are still in 480p. It has to switch display modes before and after each race. It takes a second for your TV to change modes. I had the same symptoms.

Shark Sandwich said:
Are you playing in 1080i mode? IIRC if you play GT4 in 1080i mode, all the menus are still in 480p. It has to switch display modes before and after each race. It takes a second for your TV to change modes. I had the same symptoms.

hmm, your explanation sounds very plausible but i'm playing it in 480i over component.

darkblu said:
hmm, your explanation sounds very plausible but i'm playing it in 480i over component.
It's a known bug in the game, though I've never come across it, as I've only played in 480p and 1080i.

darkblu said:
ok, as ridiculous as it may sound, for somebody so much into racers as yours truly, i just started gt4 yesterday*. so here come the mandatory 'where's the tea?' question:

in interlaced video mode on my black pstwo the game seems to occasionally lose video sync, or more precisely, for a short while the output becomes as if one of the video fields is not the correct one, or it was offset incorrectly, then it promptly corrects itself. that happens mainly right after race/replay start and/or during post-race ranking display. so is that a known feature or am i having a unique experience? otherwise the game is a kick - drives properly and has tons of fancy gimmicks. i particulaly love the photo taking and storing on a usb stick - i miss that in le mans.

* and i almost threw the disk away after driving in utter frustration for a couple of races, condemning the game forever and returning to good old le mans to soothe my rage, had i not suddenly realised that the brake i had been using all that time had not been the regular one but the hand brake ; )

It looses sync all over the place.
The game is field rendered, so when it doesn't hit 60fps the order of the fields swap for a period which is what you're seeing.
I was a bit surprised Sony shipped it as it is given how prevalent the issue is, I doubt they'd have given a 3rd party the same leeway.

i see. well, the game is still playable, but yes, it's an 'in your face' bug.

btw, toying with photomode (and enjoying it immensly) i though it'd be curious to see b3d netizens' response to the following challenege, let's call it the at-a-second-glance challenge:

try to create gt photomode shots that one would not immediately discern as CG, that is, it'd take a second glance for a reasonably-trained eye to see the deceit. post your shots on b3d so we can 'objectivey' critisize them ; )

conditions:
  • don't rely on night/late dusk lighting conditions for the shots as they make it generally easier to fool the eye.
  • don't rely on excessive amounts of motion blur - use reasonable shutter speed.
  • the shots should be deceitful at at least 640x480, even better so at 1280x960. images that look real at any lower res, e.g. 320x240, but are an apparent fake at full res do not qualify.
  • don't be too critical at color banding/fidelity artefacts, generally think of the color reproduction in the images as of low-quality-newspaper prints. step back when observing, say, at a meter distance.
ok, here's my attempt at deceit (i like the 2nd and 5th best, the 1st is good only at 640x480):

Back