A different approach from a street bum

It was a new approach to me anyway to get money. This bum the other day on a city street used a guilt trip on me which is not new but he used MY life experience in the attempt. He said, "Can you spare some change? Come on man look at your life, look at how you live, you can spare something for me." I thought whoa I haven't heard that method before. I just just said no thanks politely and kept walking. I guess he assumed I was well to do which is not the case. Next time someone should whip out their credit card statement to show the bum, "See that $8,000 balance? What made you think I have it so easy? And that's just one credit card."

You have a debt of 8k on one of your credit cards, and even more on others? Man! If you need a loan so bad why don't you go to a bank instead and like, not get ripped off so bad with the interest?

If you just bought stuff for it all, why are you spending money that you don't have? :p

Everytime people starts asking me for money I usually give them a dollar and stare into eyes then tell them see if you can turn this into a million.

Which reminds me of a story not so long ago. Some rastaferian was walking around the train asking for money by showing people a handwritten note: Apparently its says that he's deaf and would welcome any donation.

Unlucky for him I haven't got any change on me - there's no way I'm giving him the $5 dollar note. As he walks off I felt a bit guilty for not helping him out. So I decided to give him money anyways.

I called out to him. He turned around.

I said nevermind.

The best approach I've seen from a bum was asking for: "$50, so that he could afford lunch at [high end buisness restaurant]. Supposed to have a meeting there with some old associates, and he just knew that this was the ticket to get back on top again".

Good looking guy, expensive suit, very un-bum-like apperance. Apart from the fact that he looked like he had been sleeping in a park with is briefcase as a pillow for a week or two...

These ancedotes and making fun of someone down on their luck just aren't as funny to me I guess, too many times spent on the wrong end of the parable. :?

Homelessness/being a bum is not always as easy a condition to fix as some of you make it out to be, it really ain't. For most it's just a way of putting off dying just a little longer. :(

You don't have to give them a thing, but please remember that they're people too and not just "bums".

I don't owe the $8,000, that's an example for someone in the public, so I said "they" could whip out their statement. 7 or 8K is the average family debt I've heard. I owe 2,000 but 1,100 is in a savings account I use for paying off things so when the next bill comes it'll go down to 900. I can't believe I can save up 1,100 so quickly, 1 month, to help pay off debt like that. Of course lately I've been holed up in my free time with games I bought months ago. So I don't spend much of anything on going out to clubs, movies, dining out or much of anything else except necessities.

I did feel a little unesay calling him "the bum" twice in the post when I went back and read it again. I don't know him and he wasn't high pressure just mellow so I hold back any judgement except that if he does it too much even nicely the cops may hassle him.

most bums arent bums, they make a surprisingly good living by begging. hell, i may just do that one of these weekends for the hell it, you know... just for entertainment purposes.

the best one i heard is when i was with some mates and a guy came up and starting telling us a story (not to sound harsh but it did annoy me cos he was there telling it us for quite a while) -

he said that a few months ago he was put in prison for defending himself against another guy, but in doing so badly injuired him (and if u dont know - in the uk u get treated like crap if hurt someone else in defense whilst they get of more o less free), anyway, he said he just come out of prison and is on probation and has no job and nowhere to live and needs some money to get some food and some decent clothes so he could go to a job interview he has at the end of the week.

not a bad story, though i just said i had nothing on me but my mates gave him quite a bit. i saw him another day doing it to someone else (so a fake story then), and if he kept getting the same amount that he did of my friends he would be making quite a lot of money.

i was with some friends once.... we saw this bum... he was begging on the street.... then in the evening we saw him again.... getting into a BMW

Sage said:
i was with some friends once.... we saw this bum... he was begging on the street.... then in the evening we saw him again.... getting into a BMW
I saw a few like that too, when I was curling up in a alley to go to sleep. :?

Most seriously down-on-their-luck people don't beg, they're too down to even give a shit....I never did.

digitalwanderer said:
Sage said:
I saw a few like that too, when I was curling up in a alley to go to sleep. :?

Most seriously down-on-their-luck people don't beg, they're too down to even give a shit....I never did.

tru dat..... those that beg are pros at what they do.... and bloody hell, we calculated that its better to be street corner begger then web developer around here....

they make up to 100 Euro per day.... something i can only dream of.... :devilish:

silence said:
tru dat..... those that beg are pros at what they do.... and bloody hell, we calculated that its better to be street corner begger then web developer around here....

they make up to 100 Euro per day.... something i can only dream of.... :devilish:

holycrap, are you serious? What is the cost of living there??? $100 a day here is on the low end, especially for anyone with a family to support... and the euro is worth more than the dollar.

Sage said:
CosmoKramer said:
He lives in Croatia, a relatively poor part of Europe.

ahh okay for some reason i was thinking he was in the northern area's.

and it is true about ammount of money some pro beggers make per day.....
100 Euros per day.... k, i admit some days might be not so good but 50-100 Euro per day. is what usual bum on frequent crossroad makes per day.... nad this is here, where average monthly salary is around 500 Euros.......

peolple fall for their act and just count if you get 15 persons to give you 1 Euro per hour and then multiply with 10 hours you spend on crossraods?
150 Euros.... for being lazy fuck that should be sent to some colony to work for free.....

noone ever looks at beggers this way.... most people will give then some change, many just to get rid of all those coins on their pockets....
but...
do some math....

you will surprised ;)

Back