A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

I'm afraid I have zero influence in those decisions. If, however, you do get in, and it's offered, do Voice Collection! It's super helpful for us.

I've always done this. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the calibrations were more involved. When I setup MacScribe and Mac Dictate those took about 15-80 minutes to learn my voice. I'm pretty impressed at how accurate the 360 voice control can be at times but man do I wish there were profiles tied to accounts, lol. My son uses voice controls ALL THE TIME in his room and sometimes the living room 360 will pick it up and perform the action he stated.

I've always done this. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the calibrations were more involved. When I setup MacScribe and Mac Dictate those took about 15-80 minutes to learn my voice. I'm pretty impressed at how accurate the 360 voice control can be at times but man do I wish there were profiles tied to accounts, lol. My son uses voice controls ALL THE TIME in his room and sometimes the living room 360 will pick it up and perform the action he stated.
I'm impressed. I have trouble getting to recognise anything I say. (Comes from having an en-us account and an en-za accent). The way we model it, it uses similar technology to, say, a bayesian spam filter. You feed in enough examples of people saying the right phonemes, and it uses that to statistically map a person's speech to those phonemes. With enough samples, and enough processing, it gets scarily accurate, but it does need to be tuned to a specific accent.

We specifically didn't want to have to include personalized voice tuning, since that adds a barrier to entry that would scare away a lot of users (and, in general, a user will adapt his speech to the system much faster than the system could adapt to his speech)

We also had ideas about limiting voice input to the direction of the currently active skeleton, but that broke some important scenarios and would require titles that only wanted to do voice to also spin up the skeleton pipeline. We played around with doing Voice ID too, which would have let people sign in by voice (think mission impossible :)) and could have been used to limit commands to the currently signed in user (by voiceprint). But there are only so many hours in the day, and not every awesome idea can get the resources it needs.

If you opt in to the "help improve speech" stuff (in your profile), we use the data gathered from that to fine tune the models and make them more accurate. Voice collection (in the previews) is used by the test team to verify the model quality. We post process the data and feed it through the pipeline to test how many false rejects and false accepts we get. It's also used to help tune the models and give us a bigger sample of rooms for echo cancellation testing.

Interesting side note: Identical twins can fool the Kinect ID 100% of the time, but never fooled Voice ID :). Also, our Kinect ID testers used Nixon, Reagan and Clinton masks during testing so different testers could test the same profile.

I'm afraid I have zero influence in those decisions. If, however, you do get in, and it's offered, do Voice Collection! It's super helpful for us.

I signed up and yeah, I'll do such. I think the previous update(s) had some participation for improvement options which I kept checked. Happy to help out. Ultimately, it comes back to help me.

As for voice my gf and I have no issues with the voice commands on Kinect. My US English and her UK English both register fine. I just wish there were more commands and interaction but I guess that's what the new update will bring.

I signed up and yeah, I'll do such. I think the previous update(s) had some participation for improvement options which I kept checked. Happy to help out. Ultimately, it comes back to help me.

As for voice my gf and I have no issues with the voice commands on Kinect. My US English and her UK English both register fine. I just wish there were more commands and interaction but I guess that's what the new update will bring.

If nothing else this update had better let me finally launch a games on demand or arcade Kinect title from within the hub (recognizing there appears to be no need for a hub now).

Here's another back paddling...
http://blog.hulu.com/2011/10/13/hul...-decision-to-terminate-the-hulu-sale-process/

The following is a joint statement from Hulu owners News Corporation, Providence Equity Partners, The Walt Disney Company and the Hulu senior management team:

“Since Hulu holds a unique and compelling strategic value to each of its owners, we have terminated the sale process and look forward to working together to continue mapping out its path to even greater success. Our focus now rests solely on ensuring that our efforts as owners contribute in a meaningful way to the exciting future that lies ahead for Hulu.”

The studios may want a bigger role in the value chain. :runaway:

Gah... one more:

Universal Scuttles Premium VOD ‘Heist’
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/universal/universal-scuttles-premium-vod-heist-25331

Facing a boycott by two of the nation’s largest theatrical chains, Universal Studios Home Entertainment Oct. 12 canceled plans to release action comedy Tower Heist in the premium video-on-demand window just 21 days after its theatrical launch.

Universal apparently made the decision not to offer the movie for $59.99 to about 500,000 Comcast homes in Atlanta and Portland, Ore., as part of a test after National Amusements, which operates Showcase Cinemas and is privately owned by Sumner Redstone and family, said it would not screen Heist if it released early on premium VOD. The movie stars Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy, among others.

Cinemark, the No. 2 theatrical operator, already said it would boycott the film, including removing in-theatre signage, if Universal went ahead with premium VOD.

“Universal continues to believe that the theater experience and a PVOD window are business models that can coincide and thrive and we look forward to working with our partners in exhibition to find a way to experiment in this area in the future,” USHE said in a statement.

Heretofore, studios have sparingly offered select titles in the premium VOD window six to eight weeks after theatrical launch on DirecTV for $29.99.

I wish Universal had taken them all on I would actually love to see that fight. Yes, VOD is going to hurt your business model as that typically happens to ANTIQUATED models. In my household we simply wait for most movies to hit VOD and either buy or rent from the service that is offering, most typically Zune in our case. This is made easier since we don't watch live tv so the only movie ads we typically see appear in the Trailers section of the services we use. We have started to see commercials again with our subscription to hulu plus but they are typically the same three or four commercials Prius (over and over and over and over again...I HATE the Prius commercial...), some Playstation commercial that I assume has a second? part to it that has never shown whist we've watched and I can't really think of anything else but I don't recall any movie trailers so, out of sight, out of mind.

$60 might be pushing it for non day and date and non "family" title. It might be $100 for us to go to the theatre when there are three of us but $60ish is about what my wife and I might spend just the two of us might as well stay at home but in this case with the non day and date, might as well wait for the BD or VOD for less.

The studios will maximize both DD and B&M sales until the consumers abandon physical media. As long as there are still sufficient consumer interest for B&M, _and_ the studios have found a way to make more $$$ on DD, we will most likely have both. ^_^

Check connect.

Vudu And Dolby Team Up For 7.1 Audio On Streaming Movies
http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/18/vudu-and-dolby-team-up-for-7-1-audio-on-streaming-movies/

“We’re thrilled to announce that the first entertainment content for an over-the-top or broadcast environment has been released in 7.1-channel surround sound, the best possible audio experience available for this type of delivery. It’s great to collaborate with a leader in HD streaming like VUDU to enable consumers to enjoy the latest 7.1 films,” said John Couling, Vice President, Products and Platforms, Dolby Laboratories. “Today is just the first step. We look forward to having the opportunity to work with additional content providers to deliver premium-quality 7.1 surround sound to more consumers.”

More than 30 files have been mixed in 7.1 audio for their theatrical release and DD+ allows for similar mixes in a home theater. Dolby states that more than 430 million device have the goods necessary to process Dolby Digital Plus including TVs, set-top boxes, Blu-ray players, and mobile phones.

UltraViolet Bows TV Spot on ESPN
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/digital-copy/ultraviolet-bows-tv-spot-espn-25367

Campaign to entice and educate consumers on digital storage and home entertainment launched Oct. 13 during USC-Cal college football telecast

Warner Home Video Oct. 13 bowed the first national TV spot for UltraViolet during the USC–Cal college football telecast on ESPN.

Richard Greenfield, analyst with BTIG Research in New York, said Warner’s launch of a cloud-based movie storage system at the same time Apple bowed its iCloud music storage platform will confuse consumers thinking the two are at least compatible.

“While we applauded the cross-industry alliance for launching UltraViolet, we were critical of the Warner Bros. decision to force consumers to use UltraViolet digital copy versus iTunes or Windows Media digital copy, given the infancy of the UV ecosystem,” Greenfield wrote in an Oct. 14 blog.

Greenfield said studios face alienating consumers with a digital storage system that he said is not ready for primetime — a complaint the analyst underscored by the non-availability of a UV-compliant file for sale online.

What Greenfield is ignoring is that UV (and All Access) is not being launched (initially anyway) to spur digital sellthrough as much as it is designed to reinvigorate packaged media sales.

EDIT:
Relatively weak/small start compared to Apple's iCloud it seems.

uvvu.com has a list of UV Blu-ray movies this year:

SmurfsAvailable 12/02/11
Friends With BenefitsAvailable 12/02/11
Cowboys & AliensAvailable 12/06/11
The Hangover Part IIAvailable 12/06/11
One Tree Hill: The Complete
8th Season (TV)Available 12/20/11
Final Destination 5Available 12/27/11
Horrible BossesAvailable Now
Green LanternAvailable Now
Crazy Stupid LoveAvailable 11/01/11
Harry Potter and the Deathly
Hallows Part 2Available 11/11/11
Shameless (TV)Available 11/22/11

Sesame Street Kinect and National Geographic Kinect (not to be confused with the game)

blurb: Kinect for Xbox 360 is redefining learning for kids with interactive TV, storybooks, and games through partnerships with Sesame Street and National Geographic.

The is a really good video. I'm interested in how Microsoft intends on marketing this to parents and kids. I wonder if this will makes its way into children's hospitals as well. I know in our medical center we only have PS2s.

I am having a video related issue with my ps3. I have been using EyeCreate software to record videos from my playstation Eye ever since I got MOVE. But recently, EyeCreate has started dropping frames while recording videos.

I thought it was an HDD issues and did a backup of the system and formatted the HDD and restored the ps3 to factory settings. I did a quick format and not a full format as full format required 28 hours and I cannot guarantee 28 hours of trouble free power where I live. Mostly we do not have any power outages for days , but theres no way to know and I think a power outage while full format is underway might render my HDD unusable. So I did a quick format. Restored my files and redownloaded EyeCreate............but it still has the same issue :( ! It drops frames while recording leading to constant jerks in the video.

Anyone else has this issue? Any other way of resolving it ?

I am having a video related issue with my ps3. I have been using EyeCreate software to record videos from my playstation Eye ever since I got MOVE. But recently, EyeCreate has started dropping frames while recording videos.

I thought it was an HDD issues and did a backup of the system and formatted the HDD and restored the ps3 to factory settings. I did a quick format and not a full format as full format required 28 hours and I cannot guarantee 28 hours of trouble free power where I live. Mostly we do not have any power outages for days , but theres no way to know and I think a power outage while full format is underway might render my HDD unusable. So I did a quick format. Restored my files and redownloaded EyeCreate............but it still has the same issue :( ! It drops frames while recording leading to constant jerks in the video.

Anyone else has this issue? Any other way of resolving it ?

Could it be firmware related ? Might as well drop a request/mail to Sony Customer Support (if such thing is available).

Could it be firmware related ? Might as well drop a request/mail to Sony Customer Support (if such thing is available).

Well, I didn't think of that before.It could be, cos I attached my ps3 through two UPSs and did the full format. It took around 24 hours and then I downloaded Eyecreate(without restoring my backup to see if it might be a fragmentation issue) and recorded a video. The same problem still exists :( ! Am restoring my backup now.

It could be due to a firmware change, though I don't remember if it started happening after an update or not. I am downloading the new 3.73 update right now to see if it improves anything. if it doesn't, then I think I have hit a dead end, as there's no way to go back to an old firmware and confirm if its a firmware issue. :???:

Coinstar to Raise DVD Rental Prices, Maintain Blu-ray Rental Prices
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7634

Coinstar, owners of Redbox rental vending machines, have pledged to maintain rental prices for Blu-ray Discs and video games, perhaps capitalising on Netflix's recent weakness but have raised the prices on DVD rentals by 20%.

Blu-ray rental prices remain at $1.50 per night and video games will remain at $2.00 per night. In contrast, Coinstar have raised DVD rental prices by 20% from $1.00 per night to $1.20 per night to combat lower than expected DVD rental figures. Investors haven't received this news and shares are down 12% despite a 90% rise in profits and a 22% rise in revenue.

Back