A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Why do I get the feeling that while Apple and Google get all the press, Microsoft in the meantime is slowly building a new empire that will take everyone by surprise? They really are making all the right moves, it's almost eerie to watch.

Why do I get the feeling that while Apple and Google get all the press, Microsoft in the meantime is slowly building a new empire that will take everyone by surprise? They really are making all the right moves, it's almost eerie to watch.

Personally, I feel Google is one of the most overvalued companies in the entire market but my money figuratively and literally is on Amazon. Apple has so much marketshare they can gain I think it is unwise to bet against them even though yet another product announcement has failed to impress me.

Microsoft needs a complete and total marketing and advertising revamp. Along with that, of course, I'd take Reed Hastings, Jeff Bezos, or even Eric Schmidt over Ballmer ANY day of the week.

Yap, Microsoft will continue to stack services on top of Gold subscription. ^_^

But there should/will be other business models on XBL too (free-to-pay, pay for view, etc.)

Miramax CEO on UltraViolet: ‘We Have No Choice’:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/digital-copy/miramax-ceo-ultraviolet-we-have-no-choice-25258

Failure to attract consumers’ interest in the cloud-based digital locker could spell doom for the home entertainment industry and movie production going forward, said Miramax CEO Mike Lang.

“As an industry, we really have to believe it,” Lang said. “We really don’t have choice. If the home entertainment business as we know today, in terms of the transaction business, goes away, that’s not good for anyone in this room.”

Lang said failure to reinvigorate the sellthrough model could adversely affect studios’ ability to finance movies going forward. Sales of DVD/Blu-ray Disc/electronic sellthrough movies have historically affected whether a title was profitable or not. The CEO said he has found the digital transaction model to be poorly executed.

“It’s very difficult for the consumer to know that when they buy something that it works on any device,” Lang said. “It’s either tied into an Apple ecosystem or best of luck trying to make it work.”

I only noticed this last night while watching the video again since it was on Spotlight. There was mention of the upcoming dash "this holiday" but also a Light UI spring 2012. I didn't see anything in the video at the time that appeared on screen that was different than what has previously been shown. So what is Light UI? The next, next dash? What is it supposed to offer?

Yeah, I saw that as well. At first I thought the dash that was displayed at the time of the disclaimer was different but after further inspection it looked the same. Odd.

Tommy McClain

The day blackout restrictions go away will be the day I begin to care about these things again. As someone who has essentially cut the tv side of my cable cord I'm still completely screwed. Hell I can't even watch Wolverines games as a REPLAY because of restrictions...at least I got to see the vs. Notre Dame last seconds win. No Cubs, no Bears, no Blackhawks, no Wolverines. It is one thing to not allow live (which I still don't agree with) but another that I can't even watch it days later. My rant is currently only directed towards ESPN3 but I was burned by MLB when it first rolled out to the web years ago as well. My hope is that there isn't some obscure licensing rule that is going to raise similar issues when the Live TV comes to the 360.

I only noticed this last night while watching the video again since it was on Spotlight. There was mention of the upcoming dash "this holiday" but also a Light UI spring 2012. I didn't see anything in the video at the time that appeared on screen that was different than what has previously been shown. So what is Light UI? The next, next dash? What is it supposed to offer?
Some videos and demonstrations have a white background (and different colour scheme), I think that's what they're referring to.

Why do I feel like you are giving me the Jedi "these are not the droids you are looking for...move along"? :p
hehe, I do often feel like I'm performing verbal judo when I put together posts where I actually have information that I am not authorized to share. I always have to be careful to talk only about things that are available publicly :)

hehe, I do often feel like I'm performing verbal judo when I put together posts where I actually have information that I am not authorized to share. I always have to be careful to talk only about things that are available publicly :)

There is an easy fix for that, simply auto-enroll me in connect for all things dash and Kinect related; problem resolved. :p

Completely separate note...WTF is going on with NFLX...unbelievable.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/netflix-cans-qwikster-service-staying-whole/

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings announced this morning that Netflix won't split into two separate services as planned. The news comes less than a month after the company's stock went into freefall following its announced split into disc-based and streaming entities named Qwikster and Netflix, respectively.

"It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVD," Hasting wrote on the company's official blog this morning. "This means no change: one website, one account, one password... in other words, no Qwikster."

Update: A Netflix spokesperson tells the New York Times that the company has yet to determine whether it will move forward with the video game rental plan.

NetFlix's user base want both disc- and streaming- media. Without DVD and Blu-ray, their library is much smaller. And consumers have to pay more.

Someone speculated that NetFlix "isolated" the streaming business because they want someone to buy and expand that part of the company. :p
Whether it's true or not, it's back to the same NetFlix.

I wonder if this means they will also work with local parties to rent Blu-ray and DVD overseas.

Evidently the game rental plans are now "to be determined". That's funny. Went through all that just to go back where they were? Although I understand the price increase from a business POV, I didn't agree with it from a customer POV. I'm now just streaming only. I was mainly using streaming anyway. Let's see if Netflix can keep from making additional blunders.

Tommy McClain

The combined service makes them unique and more defensible ^_^

For streaming only service, they will face more and more competition, and it's harder to differentiate.

EDIT: In addition, I heard the studios are trying to tweak the disc-vs-DD policies to maximize their profit again. If I'm not wrong (I could be !), one of the studios is experimenting with giving discs a 60 day head start (Now it's 28 days). NetFlix may be able to capitalize on both while the studios make up their mind.

UltraViolet Accounts Open for Business:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/digital-copy/ultraviolet-accounts-open-business-25277

Less than a week before the first UltraViolet-enabled title is available to consumers, the buy-once-play-anywhere cloud system opened for business Oct. 5, allowing people to sign up for the service at UVVU.com.

After signing up, the consumer’s home page shows which UltraViolet-enabled devices and applications they can use, and which titles they have enabled. Under “Our Media,” consumers can search their UltraViolet content by genre, types and by retailer, if the purchase wasn’t a Blu-ray Disc. Users can add up to five more members to the account and decide who has access to what.

Looks like UltraViolet requires yet another account to manage UV contents. :-/

Let's see how SEN ties in with this thing if at all. :runaway:

The combined service makes them unique and more defensible ^_^

For streaming only service, they will face more and more competition, and it's harder to differentiate.

EDIT: In addition, I heard the studios are trying to tweak the disc-vs-DD policies to maximize their profit again. If I'm not wrong (I could be !), one of the studios is experimenting with giving discs a 60 day head start (Now it's 28 days). NetFlix may be able to capitalize on both while the studios make up their mind.

Strangely enough I agree with Michael Pachter that shedding discs would have allowed tax averse companies like Amazon to buy them. Streaming only means that you aren't paying taxes in any of the locations where Netflix physical has distribution centers. In still kicking myself for my Netflix stock blunders...told myself to buy when they were at 19...waited...jumped in at 35 sold at 101. Now that they are near there again it is tempting. I still say amazon has greater potential than Netflix love the company but they are at the whims of a whimsical industry.

NetFlix may look hip but a few executives mentioned that it is at the mercy of the studios. Companies like Amazon have plenty of options to consider, high traffic, great infrastructure, brand, and device access. Perhaps NetFlix was just too expensive ? :p

Back