702i Series DoCoMo Phones

Lazy8s

Veteran
DoCoMo revealed the 702i line of FOMA phones, some, and probably most, if not all, of which have 3D processors.

From left to right, it seems that the Sharp SH702iD is powered by OMAP2420, NEC's N702iD uses OMAP2420, the Fujitsu F702iD is driven by SH-Mobile3, Mitsubishi's D702i is using SH-Mobile3, and Panasonic's P702i utilizes OMAP2420.

Most Japanese phones have been coming w/3D processors for a while now... (even EU phones have now (e.g. SE W900i) Sadly these FOMA handsets are rather uninspiring compared to the ones announced by Vodafone Japan and AU this week...

Yeah, phones with SH-Mobile3 have been out since 2004 and with OMAP2420 since last year.

For gaming, 702i Series screens and controls aren't well suited, but their processors can run OpenGL ES benches like Futuremark's robot on spire demo, Twilight, Cyber Samurai, and Proxycon at high, playable framerates.

Updated round-up:

Handheld/Embedded PowerVR
Intel 2700G (Marathon) -- MBX Lite + ARM XScale
Dell Axim X50v
Dell Axim X51v
PepperPad

Renesas SH7770 (SH-Navi I) -- MBX + VGP + FPU + SH-4
Mitsubishi Car Information Systems
Pioneer AVIC-ZH900MD
Alpine Car Information Systems

Renesas SH73182 (SH-Mobile3) -- MBX Lite + SH-4
DoCoMo FOMA Fujitsu F901iC
DoCoMo FOMA Mitsubishi D901i
DoCoMo FOMA Fujitsu F902i
DoCoMo FOMA Mitsubishi D902i
SK Teletech IM-8300
Motorola MS550

Renesas SH73230 (SH-MobileA) -- MBX Lite + SH-4

Renesas SH3707 -- MBX + VGP + FPU + SH-4
Sega Sammy Aurora

Texas Instruments OMAP2420 -- MBX + VGP + FPU + ARM11
DoCoMo FOMA NEC N902i
DoCoMo FOMA Panasonic P902i
DoCoMo FOMA Sharp SH902i
DoCoMo FOMA Sony Ericsson SO902i

Texas Instruments OMAP2430 -- MBX Lite + FPU + ARM11

Texas Instruments OMAPV2230 -- MBX Lite + FPU + ARM11

Freescale i.MX31 -- MBX Lite + FPU + ARM11

Philips Nexperia PNX4008 -- MBX Lite + ARM9
Sony Ericsson P990

Samsung S3C2460 -- MBX + ARM

Intel 2900G -- SGX + ARM XScale

Last edited by a moderator:
source? initially thought the 702i series would be just software updates of the 701i series so would be great if all the phones above did have 3D but will wait for official confirmation from IMG, or TI/Renesas this time.

Also what about the Pantech PN-8300?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen official confirmation either, but most of these companies don't yet consider the processor as a selling point worth mention.

http://www.memn0ck.com/d/?FOMA/702i

I did make the big assumptions that OMAP referred to OMAP2 for the NEC and that SH-Mobile referred to SH-Mobile3 for Fujitsu's and Mitsubishi's.

I agree that Pantech's PN-8300 adopts the exterior design of their SK Teletech IM-8300, and I'd expect the new model to be pretty much the same phone, inside and out, that they used in Korea. Should get confirmation one way or the other soon enough.

From the link it looks promising. Maybe TI will make a big splash at 3GSM....

Visit Texas Instruments
Hall 8

Stand B14/B15
3GSM 2006 in Barcelona.

Discover
how TI delivers technology
for 2G-2.5G, EDGE and 3G, as well as for mDTV & entertainment, security, connectivity, DRPâ„¢ and single-chip mobile phone solutions.

Experience the latest innovations in wireless technology, as well as the hottest new applications from TI's OMAPâ„¢ Developer Network.

See how TI solutions will pave the way for the transformation of the mobile phone into a work/life tool.

Click here for more information on TI's Wireless portfolio.

Gain valuable insight from Texas Instruments speakers at 3GSM:

Tuesday February 14th
11.20 - 11.50
Technology Symposium track

Hall 5, Level 3, Auditorium 1, Alain Mutricy, Vice President and General Manager of Cellular Systems will present "Delivering Multimedia through Handsets - Beneath the surface."
Thursday February 16th
14.30 - 15.00
Break Out Session C: Mobile Broadcast Standards - Status, Evolution & Competition

Hall 5, Level 3, Room 8 Bill Krenik, Advanced Wireless Architectures Manager will present "Behind the Standards - The Technical Issues & Impacts of these Developments"

15.00 - 16.00 Bill Krenik will participate in the panel discussion on "Integrating Mobile Broadcast with GPRS/3G"

Experience demos* showing how TI continues to enable handset manufacturers to innovate in a world driven by demand for on-the-go entertainment and productivity:

Live mobile TV on TI’s Hollywood™ solution and OMAP2420 processor
Windows Media Video and Audio on the OMAP2430 processor
S60 with MPEG4 and H.264 Video Playback on the OMAP2430 processor
Video Conferencing on the OMAP2430 processor
3G Voice Call on new OMAP-Voxâ„¢ solution
“Locosto†– TI’s Single-Chip Mobile Phone Technology: Application Suite with Java™ Services
"First Look" at New PCB for Ultra-Low-Cost GSM Phones
3D Gaming and Multimedia Suite on OMAP-Voxâ„¢ processor
Voice over WLAN using TI’s WiLink™ 4.0 mobile WLAN solution
Kodak's Perfect Touchâ„¢ technology on OMAP2420 processor
Philips DRM Technology using TI’s M-Shield™ security technology on OMAP2420 processor
And more...

See the latest TI technology in action in our Wireless Application Center, where you can play with the latest TI-enabled phones and applications on the market, including:

Kodak EASYSHARE-ONE Wi-Fi Enabled Camera

i-mateTM K-JAM All-In-One PDA

Nokia N91 HDD Music Phone

Samsung SCH-B250 Digital TV Phone

Motorola RAZR V3x Ultra-Slim Phone

i-mateTM SP5m Music Phone

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet

NTT DoCoMo FOMA P902i 3D Gaming Phone with output to TV

Texas Instruments and its OMAPâ„¢ Developer Network are creating compelling applications and services for mobile entertainment and productivity. Developer Network members who will be showing demos on the TI stand include:

February 13-14 February 15-16
PacketVideo
Ingenient
EA
Faith
Carrier IQ
Imagination
MSX Barking Lizards
McubeWorks
InterVideo
TAT
Esmertec
Ecrio
Philips Software
Access
Redbend

We look forward to seeing you at 3GSM in February!

Regards,
Texas Instruments

*Subject to change

Lazy8s said:
I did make the big assumptions that OMAP referred to OMAP2 for the NEC and that SH-Mobile referred to SH-Mobile3 for Fujitsu's and Mitsubishi's.

Big assumption indeed!

The articles identifying the processors in the phones and claiming OMAP2420 were apparently incorrect. The 702i series might not be 3D equipped at all.

Back