6800GT review by some 'Hanners' guy...

Hanners

Regular
Not sure who he is, but I thought I'd point out that some guy who goes by the name of Hanners has just put up a PNY 6800GT review for Elite Bastards. :|

Anyone who wants to check it out can do so here.

Evildeus said:
BTW each time i click on next page, the review pop up in another window :(

I know, it's because I suck. :(

I need to ask one of the other Admins how to work around that - He told me before, but I've forgotten how to do it. Again. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Okay, I remembered. Page links should be fixed now.

I thought the review was lightly biased.

Hanners and Digi tend to lean towards Ati.

John's review was a bit more impartial, clear and to the point.

Still it's a good review in comparison to some of the crap out there.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Hanners and Digi tend to lean towards Ati.
Hey, don't go lumping me in their with Hanners! :oops:

I will not sit back and see me friends insulted like that, Hanners deserves better than that....he's much more impartial and fair than I! :oops:

Nice review which covers all aspects nicely. Feel good stuff for GT owners too. And it's good to see Nvidia getting some credit for learning from their mistakes.

Still, one can wonder if the inclusion of an X800 in the comparison would've influenced the very positive conclusion.

K.I.L.E.R said:
EB in general is an Ati fanboi site.
You really think so Kruno? (I'm honestly asking, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or confrontational...I actually value your input on this. :) )

I know I tend to be a bit more pro-ATi and anti-nVidia-from-hell lately, but Hanners I always felt was pretty balanced and most of the other mods/staff on our site actually are leaning more towards nVidia lately than ATi...IMHO.

Then again, me and Hanners have tended to dominate the discussions over at EB as of late...but that's just because Quinn & Zar are working. (Well, working jobs that don't give them a lot of time to post. ;) )

Florin said:
Still, one can wonder if the inclusion of an X800 in the comparison would've influenced the very positive conclusion.

Definitely, simply because it would have changed the focus of the piece entirely.

The angle I went for in the abscence of an X800 board was basically 'If I upgrade my 9800/5900 for a 6800GT now, what will I get for it?'. Obviously, the inclusion of an X800 Pro would have made it into far more of a straight shoot-out.

Obviously I would have preferred to throw an X800 Pro into the mix too, but I can only benchmark what's in front of me... ;)

Florin said:

I actually find it really annoying when cards are compared to the *previous* generation from a competitor. It would have made a lot more sense and made the conclusions much more sensible if compared to cards of the same class. Sure it makes the card reviewed look great in the graphs, but doesn't show if it's actually better than the other cards of the same class ie, the ones you might buy as an alternative.

There would be something pretty wrong with the 6800 if it couldn't stomp all over a 9800PRO, so the comparison is pointless. If you're looking to buy a new card in that class, you're looking at choosing between the 6800 or X800, and *that* is the comparison that is useful.

If you're going to compare against a competitor's product, than actually compare against the product that will *compete* against the reviewed card, not against something two years old.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Florin said:

I actually find it really annoying when cards are compared to the *previous* generation from a competitor. It would have made a lot more sense and made the conclusions much more sensible if compared to cards of the same class. Sure it makes the card reviewed look great in the graphs, but doesn't show if it's actually better than the other cards of the same class ie, the ones you might buy as an alternative.

There would be something pretty wrong with the 6800 if it couldn't stomp all over a 9800PRO, so the comparison is pointless. If you're looking to buy a new card in that class, you're looking at choosing between the 6800 or X800, and *that* is the comparison that is useful.

If you're going to compare against a competitor's product, than actually compare against the product that will *compete* against the reviewed card, not against something two years old.
Hanners said:
I can only benchmark what's in front of me... ;)
;)

K.I.L.E.R said:
EB in general is an Ati fanboi site.

There was nothing "fanboi" about that review, K.I.L.E.R.

Why is it that anyone that seems to question nVidia is branded a "fanboi". The facts are that the previous generation of nVidia graphics was just not competitive, and nVidia cheated and lied to try and convince the public that they were. I'm also branded as a fanboi, because I constantly rebuked & condemned nVidia for their business tactics and poor products. Yet, I run out and buy not 1, but 2 6800's ....yes, guess I'm a real "fanboi".*

Fact of the matter is that anyone or any site that condemned nVidia - for whatever reasons - must be a "fanbois". It's absolutely incredible and absurd. I think it's time to stop this kind of crap, it's not nessasary and it only does harm.

*and I also own 6 nVidia chipset MB's........

trinibwoy said:
Damn it comes with Far Cry? Nice. That's the best game bundled with any card so far.

My Retail PNY GT came with no software at all, not even drivers. This is the standard retail box from compusa. It looks like EB got some sort of 'reviewer special" OEM bundle whitebox.

Edit: Oops. Saw on EB's forum that they reviewed a European release box. In the US there's no bundle, I don't know about UK.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Fact of the matter is that anyone or any site that condemned nVidia - for whatever reasons - must be a "fanbois". It's absolutely incredible and absurd. I think it's time to stop this kind of crap, it's not nessasary and it only does harm.

*and I also own 6 nVidia chipset MB's........

I'm not judging here - nor am I implying said site is leaning one way or another. However, I did want to say that it is pretty rare when you find a site that really sets aside their opinions. Call it human nature, whatever; but more often than not, personal views and opinions find a way in web sites and forums.

Bias always finds a way to distort views. No different than what the media is doing in America... /shrug

Again - this is not slamming said site or review but just something I'm seeing while surfing the net.

I think Hanner is pretty neutral. That being said, as DW is posting over EB, that makes the site pretty Ati biased IMO :D

Back