56" LCD TV with Quad Full High Definition resolution of 3840x2160.

PC-Engine

Banned
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_10292.html

That's 4 X the resolution of HD of 1920 x 1080. :oops:

Looks like plasmas are getting their asses beaten bigtime. :LOL:

http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/about/shownews1.jsp?flag=20050926163527

Tainan, Taiwan, September 26, 2005 – Chi Mei Optoelectronics Corporation (CMO), one of the world’s top three LCD TV panel suppliers, has successfully developed the world’s first 56-inch LCD TV panel with Quad Full High Definition (QFHD, 3840x2160), featuring an astonishing 8.29 million pixels. The new panel features resolution that is four times that of currently available products (1920 x 1080), and the highest ever achieved in the world. The new panel consists of over 24.8 million units of transistors, with a data transmission speed of over 1.4 gigabytes per second. To achieve this breakthrough result, the CMO research and development team overcame a number of significant technical challenges, including the development of special new driver methods and scanning procedures and solving massive heat generation problems caused by the alignment of so many transistors. The 56-inch TV panel also boasts its display size as the largest one developed by Taiwan’s TFT LCD maker. CMO will showcase this advanced new product at the FPD International 2005 in Yokohama, Japan from October 19-21, 2005.

It's not the highest resolution achieved in the world, IBM has a 3840x2400 monitor.

And should we care? Except maybe for digital photos, I can't imagine anything that would really benefit from such a high resolution.

EasyRaider said:
It's not the highest resolution achieved in the world, IBM has a 3840x2400 monitor.

And should we care? Except maybe for digital photos, I can't imagine anything that would really benefit from such a high resolution.

This is the highest resolution LCD over 22". ;)

And of course we should care because higher resolution is better. Imagine a PC hooked up to this thing. :oops:

Didn't they say that a team in Japan has created a 72 Megapixel projection system, and the added resolution made the image seem so real people were getting motion sick?

DudeMiester said:
Didn't they say that a team in Japan has created a 72 Megapixel projection system, and the added resolution made the image seem so real people were getting motion sick?

75MP on what size screen?

Maybe they were getting sick because of the refresh rate?

Because if you think about it analog film has MUCH more resolution than any of those digital systems and I don't recall people getting sick from watching 35mm movies...

PC-Engine said:
Looks like plasmas are getting their asses beaten bigtime. :LOL:
I'd take a good 1366x768 plasma over any 1920x1080 LCD for the plasma's better black level, contrast, vibrance viewing angle and the lack of any ghosting. I'd imagine the same will go for the new 1920x1080 plasma's compared to this new LCD, so I hardly see how plasmas would get their ass beaten by this unless your only mesure is the number of pixels.

kyleb said:
I'd take a good 1366x768 plasma over any 1920x1080 LCD for the plasma's better black level, contrast, vibrance viewing angle and the lack of any ghosting. I'd imagine the same will go for the new 1920x1080 plasma's compared to this new LCD, so I hardly see how plasmas would get their ass beaten by this unless your only mesure is the number of pixels.

You haven't been following LCD technology development then...100,000:1 CR, 110% NTSC color gamut, 4ms response times etc. Plasmas may become obsolete in the near future if they can't keep up with LCD development in those key areas.

london-boy said:
Well at that res (and at that price!), it might just be easier to... u know... get the real thing? Just an idea...

well.... if they get the real thing they arent geeks anymore.... DUH!!!!!
whats the point of getting real thing when you can have the coolest LCD in the world?;)

PC-Engine said:
Because if you think about it analog film has MUCH more resolution than any of those digital systems and I don't recall people getting sick from watching 35mm movies...
I dont think thats true. If memory serves me right, when motion pictures first came out, many people would get sick from watching it. Hmm, i hope im remembering that properly.

epic

epicstruggle said:
I dont think thats true. If memory serves me right, when motion pictures first came out, many people would get sick from watching it. Hmm, i hope im remembering that properly.

epic

your memory? how ols are you?.... where you among those that ran out of theatre when they showed train coming in? :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
You haven't been following LCD technology development then...100,000:1 CR, 110% NTSC color gamut, 4ms response times etc. Plasmas may become obsolete in the near future if they can't keep up with LCD development in those key areas.
I have been following, I just haven't seen any of that in action and don't see it mentioned for this super-high resolution panel. Best I can tell this will look just like the LCDs we have now but with much higher resolution, in which case I'd rather have one of the upcoming 1080p plasmas.

PC-Engine said:
If we get all that at the same time at less ridiculous prices, consider me impressed.

LCD and plasma tech are not good enough. I hope SED delivers soon, as computer monitors. I have no need for a TV.

Back