400 K ps3 in USA, 100 K ps3 in Japan at launch

My Sony contact this weekend told me that the latest devkit, 1040, is still as fuck-off huge, noisy and utterly unreliable (one day to get one actually up and running from unboxing) as ever. And rare as hen's teeth, with only first-party devs getting a decent supply.

It's certainly as large as ever and I don't expect that to ever change, why would it?

It's pretty damn quiet though, just a shade noisier than my Dell (non-XPS) machine.

As to reliability? The only problem is that you have to format your HDD everytime you upgrade the firmware (I think). Other than that, it's pretty easy to get up and running.

Oh, and we're not first party but we got a bunch of them without much issues.

Bearing in mind that even something as simple as formatting the hard disk doesn't work consistently, depending on the firmware...

And firmware install procedures change with the wind, come on memory sticks or discs, need renaming or don't need renaming, etc. Too much for me to track, the list just went on and on.

It takes them 2 days to burn the full set of 6GB Blu-Ray discs required for approval by Sony, because of the slow burn speed and the sheer quantity of copies that need to be made.

(See, now I'm being prodded, I'm remembering more grim stuff.)

Jawed

Bearing in mind that even something as simple as formatting the hard disk doesn't work consistently, depending on the firmware...

And firmware install procedures change with the wind, come on memory sticks or discs, need renaming or don't need renaming, etc. Too much for me to track, the list just went on and on.

It takes them 2 days to burn the full set of 6GB Blu-Ray discs required for approval by Sony, because of the slow burn speed and the sheer quantity of copies that need to be made.

Jawed

*PRODS!!!* more please :p

I know it's a sin to say around here but I expect the 400,000k in US and 100,000 in Japan to be an optimistic figure.

As them about not just the Blu Ray diodes but other components that seem to be hard to make and get working properly for BR drives. Could you ask if the PS3 meets "Specification 1" of the BD-ROM playback specs or no?

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5307/picture1mg1.gif

With an internal power supply, I'd think that heat and power draw are likely a big issue with all the components running at full speeds.

Uh-huh... I'm confused. Why is Ty's information different from what you posted ? It's the same devkit model right ? And I assume both of you are not refering to just 1 (isolated) devkit ?

From this latest post, is it a complicated upgrade procedure such that when someone screwed up, the devkit became unstable ? Or is the devkit unstable to begin with ? Are you programming on it ?

Is the Blu-ray burner used by this dev the same as Sony's replication process ?

EDIT: Actually confused may be too strong.... curious might be a better word to describe my current state of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jawed

Dude...your posting is starting to smell Trollish...

Heh. Jawed is cool n00b. ;-)

It's more or less consistant with sounds of libs, while good, not being final too. It looks like they're behind schedule in every way. I'm wondering how their online component will turn out.

...developers, for example, are still complaining of software libraries which, while generally acknowledged as being very good indeed, have not actually been locked down into a final, working form even at this late stage...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19514

My Sony contact this weekend told me that the latest devkit, 1040, is still as fuck-off huge, noisy and utterly unreliable (one day to get one actually up and running from unboxing) as ever. And rare as hen's teeth, with only first-party devs getting a decent supply.

He expects more stuff to be cut before release. I grilled him pretty hard about this (not specific features, just the fact of it), because I'd fully bought into the blue diode problem as the last hurdle.
Some of this flies in the face of what other PS3 devs have commented on their kits in this forum. There was an 'article' (Inq or Kotaku) about the terrible state of PS3 dev kits and their rarity posted here, and it was promptly rebuked. _phil_ said his company had just received 25 dev kits (dunno if he's first party though).

The idea they're huge and noisy sounds like the older kits. The finals are maybe 2x the size of an old PS2, which isn't huge, definitely as far as dev kits go, and definitely when you consider how big the PS3 is! All other reports are that they're very quiet too.

final-ps3-dev-kit-tidbits-20060821013651557-000.jpg

And then what more stuff could be cut to improve things? From the sounds of it the dev kits are hard to use, but that won't be helped by reducing the memory or clock speeds in the final box.

From everything else I've heard, I can't see any sense in this source of yours (excepting hardware use when we've had no other info on).

It seems to me that there's probably 2 or 3 guys (maybe even 1) that have some sort of insider info, but are serious Sony-haters and try to spin all their info into bad news, and they form the source for nearly all the bad news at the rumor mill sites we're hearing.

Reality check - nearly all the bad news at the rumor mill sites turned out to be true so far...

Not that it matters a lot. Sony will be fine.

IMHO those seem more like minor gripes, considering the current state of the PS3 evolution. Annoying, but far from showstoppers, and not going to have a real effect on how successful the launch is.

It's more or less consistant with sounds of libs, while good, not being final too.

Not really. The link says "...developers, for example, are still complaining of software libraries which, while generally acknowledged as being very good indeed, have not actually been locked down into a final, working form even at this late stage... "

But Jawed's sources said: "the latest devkit, 1040, is still as fuck-off huge, noisy and utterly unreliable".

I do not think it is consistent.

pipo said:
Reality check - nearly all the bad news at the rumor mill sites turned out to be true so far...

None of the bad news had feedback from devs saying otherwise. So far, we have Ty and _phil_ who said that they just received 10-15 dev kits, and they do not seem to agree with the rumor.

pipo said:
Not that it matters a lot. Sony will be fine.

That's beside the point. I just want to know what the situation is with respect to Jawed's source (e.g. What are the possible causes ? Is it an isolated case ? etc. etc.)

I do not think it is consistent.

I feel it is. Nothing seems final at this point in time, which is a bit strange in my book by the way. Especially for the libs (Spring 06 lauch?).

None of the bad news had feedback from devs saying otherwise. So far, we have Ty and _phil_ who said that they just received 10-15 dev kits, and they do not seem to agree with the rumor.

This wasn't about that case, but the rumours on news sites in general. Production problems and all that.

That's beside the point. I just want to know what the situation is with respect to Jawed's source (e.g. What are the possible causes ? Is it an isolated case ? etc. etc.)

I doubt we'll ever know for sure. :)

I feel it is. Nothing seems final at this point in time, which is a bit strange in my book by the way. Especially for the libs (Spring 06 lauch?).

One says the libs are very good but not final. The other says the libs are utterly unreliable. They are conflicting.

Also what has Spring 06 launch got to do with this ? Is Jawed sources talking about pre-Spring 2006 situation ?

This wasn't about that case, but the rumours on news sites in general. Production problems and all that.

Well, I'm curious about this case since at least we have some info from both sides.

Based on the series of bad news, it doesn't mean that Sony can continue to cover up, it also does not mean that someone else can exagerate or sneak more rumors in. I'm just curious about Jawed's source and his situation. That's all.

One says the libs are very good but not final. The other says the libs are utterly unreliable. They are conflicting.

Hmm. He could be talking about the hardware (he didn't say 'libs'). Besides, 'good' needs a context. ;)

Also what has Spring 06 launch got to do with this ?

I would expect libraries to be more evolved if they were planning on launching months ago.

Hmm. He could be talking about the hardware (he didn't say 'libs'). Besides, 'good' needs a context. ;)

If 'good' needs a context, does 'bad' need one too ? What about 'very good' ?
Given the ambiguity, I'd rather wait for Sony to deliver the bad news/update. We still have the RSX downgrade rumor out in the wild. TGS is only 10 days away anyway. Hopefully we get to see how long/short those PS3s last.

I would expect libraries to be more evolved if they were planning on launching months ago.

Depends on whether they added more features due to the delay ?

Last night, when I went to bed, I was thinking that maybe my source's devkit supply problem is because he's in Europe and European launch has been pushed back. But I'm not sure how the internationalism of game publishing affects this...

When I queried him saying "but other devs are reporting the devkits are much quieter now" he responded "that's because they're in offices full of PCs."

He also told me that the programming features exposed by the SDK are shifting all over the place (and getting cut-back in places). I guess there'll be a strong element of what we've seen with XB360 - a whole load of features aren't available any time soon, they'll come later. Like the tiling support on Xenos being limited until way after launch. So the impact will prolly be limited to launch games.

The main problem for me here is, as he told me all this stuff I assumed it was not for repeating. Afterwards he said, "you can say what you like about what I've said, just don't mention titles." I woulda pushed for more specifics if I'd known he was going to be that laid-back! And on top of that, I saw him Sunday, but didn't get a chance to think about it all afterwards until last night...

But, the main point is he's very sure that the November release is on.

Jawed

Lets see if these numbers make any sense from the various reports released in the last two weeks.

Launch
US: 400K (+ 800K through EOY)
Japan: 100K (+ 1.1M through EOY)

End of Year
US: 1.2M total
Japan: 1.2M total

US gets more units up front but overall will be a 50/50 split between regions with 2.4M shipped in total.

Monthly rate of 1.2M would put Sony at 6 million units by the end of March 2007 going by their plans discussed with various sources.

Sources:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aTMHrm8415zU

http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/afx/2006/09/06/afx2995529.html

2.4 seems a little high for "slightly above" 2 million but I'm sure those numbers aren't very precise right now. Also, keep in mind that any more delays will likely flush these estimates down the toilet.

Don't forget one million units for EU launch in early march.

Back