3DMark03 GPU limitness

Mummy

Regular
Hello all,

im trying to convince a friend of mine that 3DMark03 is nearly totally gpu limited, but he wont believe me, i found some reviews and they use old cpus or gpus (no 6800 or X800), can any of you point me to a review with a cpu shootout using latest video cards?

Thanks

Just benchmark in different resolutions. If performance changes a good deal, then you're GPU limited.

There was an article a while back (I think on ExtremeTech?) where they showed a P2 500 + R9700 rig scoring higher than a P4 2GHz + R9000 rig, or something like that. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Edit: Doesn't look like ExtremeTech, and Google isn't turning up anything useful. Hopefully someone else here remembers it.

Thanks both, i showed him that page too, but it didnt work :)

It'd be interesting to see if a 6800 or an X800 would be cpu limited in 3dmark03 with a low end processor.

Mummy said:
Thanks both, i showed him that page too, but it didnt work :)

It'd be interesting to see if a 6800 or an X800 would be cpu limited in 3dmark03 with a low end processor.
Dude, the high-end cards from either ATi or nVidia are currently CPU limited on the best CPUs money can't buy yet....your friend is going to be hopelessly bottle-necked!

Dude, the high-end cards from either ATi or nVidia are currently CPU limited on the best CPUs money can't buy yet....your friend is going to be hopelessly bottle-necked!

On the bright side, you can turn up the resolution and AA/AF for free :)

digitalwanderer said:

I doubt they are even in 3dmark03.

Can any of you make a quick test with a 6800? you would just have to downclock your CPU and put it back to see the difference.

The newest GPUs are showing some decent score improvements in certain tests with the fastest CPUs (just check the nice graphs in one of B3D's latest reviews). But the last three tests are still mainly GPU-limited.

I'm not sure why that page "didn't work." What was insufficient for your friend? Does he honestly think you'll see little to no difference when lowering or raising the resolution in 3DM03 with a 6800? :?

Anyway, look at TechReport's initial review of the X800XTPE and X800P. IIRC, it has 3DM03 scores for the X800s and the 6800s over a range of resolutions (but not a range of CPUs).

digitalwanderer said:
That's not entirely true.

Back