3dfx/3dhq Revenge superchip.

Saem said:
It'd be nice if people could accept the fact that Rampage might have been/was nice for its time; however, its time has passed and in this day and age with the way technology moved, most people would rather throw a 9800 or 5800 Ultra in their rig and they'd be better for it. It might have a neat feature or two (even by todays standards), but it's kinda like the Kyro series in that sense, it could be the best but it isn't.

Yeah, really. It's ridiculous. I've said it several times myself, Rampage would've been one seriously sick core back when it was meant to release, and in pure speed, it's almost viable today, but not beyond that.

OpenGL guy said:
Those images are full of rendering artifacts... not exactly something you want people seeing. Also suspiciously absent is an FPS counter. I saw these images years ago...

I'd say the rendering artefacts are forgivable, considering that those shots were taken on a Rampage using its first working OpenGL ICD. :) And if you look "closely", you'll note that those aren't full size screenshots, they are cuts, and none of them are high enough to show any FPS counter... but judging from the shot with the plasma gun, it was probably already playable to some extent.

These pics are of Quake III Arena running in debug mode on the Rampage. Jeff White got OpenGL working on November 30, 2000, and the day after he gave this demo.

btw: the 3dfx driver source code has been leaked at nuangel.net

Tagrineth said:
OpenGL guy said:
Those images are full of rendering artifacts... not exactly something you want people seeing. Also suspiciously absent is an FPS counter. I saw these images years ago...
I'd say the rendering artefacts are forgivable, considering that those shots were taken on a Rampage using its first working OpenGL ICD. :)
This is supposed to impress me? The fact that is didn't work properly is a real concern as it implies that not enough validation (on both hardware and software) was done before chip tape out.
And if you look "closely", you'll note that those aren't full size screenshots, they are cuts, and none of them are high enough to show any FPS counter... but judging from the shot with the plasma gun, it was probably already playable to some extent.
I always found it quite convenient that they cut out the FPS counter. Or maybe it just didn't render it properly. :LOL:

OpenGL guy said:
This is supposed to impress me? The fact that is didn't work properly is a real concern as it implies that not enough validation (on both hardware and software) was done before chip tape out.

Due to some funky miscommunication, the first Rampages had a flipped DAC; someone devised an external reverser to correct the components, but some of the miscolouration could be a result of that.

And besides that, 3dfx's drivers were pretty icky in general :) You should see some of the comments in the update log... for example, "Fixed a typo that broke AA in screenshots, oops!". :LOL:

OpenGL guy said:
I always found it quite convenient that they cut out the FPS counter. Or maybe it just didn't render it properly. :LOL:

None of the text that IS visible is rendered correctly. :)

OpenGL guy said:
no, those shots were taken 1 day after they got opengl working. it almost definitely ran very slowly. why would they turn on the framerate counter? all it was was a demo to show that ogl worked on the card.

rashly said:
OpenGL guy said:
no, those shots were taken 1 day after they got opengl working. it almost definitely ran very slowly. why would they turn on the framerate counter? all it was was a demo to show that ogl worked on the card.
Again, none of this information impresses me at all. In fact, the more you say, the less impressive it seems.

OpenGL guy said:
Again, none of this information impresses me at all. In fact, the more you say, the less impressive it seems.

You're quite the tough critic. :? 3dfx's driver team wasn't even that great (nobody ever said they were); you can take a look at their Voodoo driver source if you want at www.nuangel.net. :p

Hey, if you think you're so good, why don't you try cleaning up 3dfx's drivers a bit, like 3dhq attempted? ^_~

Tagrineth said:
Hey, if you think you're so good, why don't you try cleaning up 3dfx's drivers a bit, like 3dhq attempted? ^_~
I never said that I was good. I said I worked with and on the best. :D Anyway, I have absolutely no interest in 3dfx drivers... I have never owned, and never will own ;), a 3dfx product. Also, I am not a crook! :D

Tagrineth said:
Also, I am not a crook! :D

Considering the history of the origin of that infamous quote, I'd wager you've already downloaded them. ;)
Nah, but I felt what I was saying sounded like another infamous president, but I didn't want to use his famous line on a public forum ;)

Althornin said:
plus, despite his moniker, OpenGL Guy works on DirectX drivers....
:LOL:
Well, I used to work on OpenGL drivers. It's sort of a convoluted story. I was initially hired for D3D. Ended up doing a smorgasbord of stuff (D3D, DDraw, GDI, etc.) that wasn't really where I wanted to be. A friend needed help in the OpenGL group so I moved over there. I created this handle sometime after that and never felt like changing it. Even after I left that company, it would just be too confusing if I had changed names.

But anyway, I'm back to doing D3D :) It's a lot more interesting than it used to be!

You know what sucks?...the fact that I know that most people here work for some real dreamy/kickass company....but I dont catch enough of the hints to figure out which companies those are most of the time...

I don't think that it's a secret that OpenGLguy works for ATI, if that's what you're refering to.

Yeah, and reliable sources tell me that ATi is examining with lots of interest the source code, unlike what some people here seem to suggest. :D

3dfx were severly understaffed on the driver side of things. And the people who were writing drivers, I can't say always did the most logical things. There is a lot of 'stupid' stuff in the 3dfx drivers.

Back